Loss of a Beloved Pet

Options
My boyfriends family dog of 16 years, a german shorthair pointer named Ranger, had a bout of seizures around 11 this morning. He was in a lot of pain and we believe that all of the cancer tha plagues his body has finally caught up with him. He is fighting the benedril we gave him to put him to sleep. (over 100 pills and he wont go). He is in soooo much pain. I have been crying off and on all day long. Hopefully he passes peacefully on sometime tonight. The hardest part was my boyfriend getting off work and coming over and seeing him cry. I have never seen him cry before.

I only have know this dog for the past two years.. But anyone who knows him knows that he is impossible not to adore. You could always count on a hug from this over sized lap dog. He is one of the most stubborn dogs I know as well. Last year at this time.. He had had a seizure and could hardly walk. We thought that was it and had said our goodbyes. But three days later he was up and about although he still wasnt 100%. He would loss his back legs quite a bit. The look of embarrassment was comical only because we knew he would be okay. We are blessed that we got an extra year with him.

God Bless you Ranger. You had a wonderful 16 years and are loved and adored by many. May your next life be filled with hundreds of bunnys to chase and kittys to play with. We love you.

My profile photo is of Ranger earlier today during one of his brief moments where he felt a little better. We love you boogy-doodle-bug.

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There is nothing like the unconditional love of a pet. When we lost our first rescued greyhound four years ago I was inconsolable for months. I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved friend.
  • allikins137
    Options
    He just passed away at 1:24 am. We love you big boy.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am so sad for you but he had a loving family around him and no doubt a happy life up to being ill.

Just remember the good times you had with him. Your pain will pass but you will never forget him. I have lost many pets over the years and each one is still very special and never forgotten.

It is one of ghe worst things that can happen in life when you lose a pet.

Hugs ((( ))) for you and let your boyfriend cry. Men should cry too. My husband cried with every pet we lost. Nothing wrong with that.

Thinking of you
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    :cry: Sorry to hear that. Ranger was obviously very loved and you can tell this from your post. I hope he wasnt in too much pain xx

I can only imagine how distraught you are. Please take time to grieve your dog xx
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! :cry:
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry :( my sister in laws iguana is not well right now and she is having a tough time with it. She has had him for 15 years. Losing a pet is horrible...again, I'm so sorry :(
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Awwwwwwwwww...I am so sorry. I also have a German Shorthaired pointer! Wonderful dogs! My heart goes out to all of you.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    You OD'd your dog? What was wrong with letting the vet euthanize him, exactly? There had to have been some unpleasant side effects.
  • tatokalan
    Options
    I'm feeling with you... we lost our beloved dog 6 months ago (he was about 16-18 years old - we didn't know exactly as we had him from a dog shelter). He spent 11 years with us. At the end he did not eat and could not walk. We called a vet as we did not want him to suffer even more. He survived two brain strokes some years ago. He was very strong and loving and also very loved. It's been six months and I'm still crying for him. Be strong and if you have the possibility, get another dog - people say it helps a lot.
  • allikins137
    Options
    We had to OD him because the vet isnt open @ 11 @ night, my bf had our only car at work (which if he left he could have gone to jail) and Ranger was in too much pain to wait til the next morning. We had a gun, but no one could shoot him. So we figured the best way was to OD him and let him go peacefully. He was in no pain as he drifted off because we also gave him traminol for the pain (Old very strong pain meds and seditive from when our other dog got fixed a few months ago).
    With benedryl it just makes them really drowsy and slows their heart and breathing til one or the other gives out. We have done it with pet rats in the past.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. :(
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! I had to put down my Beagle, Lucy last August. My first dog ever and it was horrible. Time will help. Huggs to you all!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Sending hugs, I lost my lab 4 years ago. I still miss her and have great memories. You are not alone.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm so, so sorry. When my cats have died, it took ages to feel better. And even now, thinking about it too long will make me cry.

He was a beautiful puppy. Thank you for sharing about his life. I am glad to read it.
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bless his little heart.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: :cry:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I have lost a number of furkids in my lifetime too, it's so awful.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You OD'd your dog? What was wrong with letting the vet euthanize him, exactly? There had to have been some unpleasant side effects.
    There probably were some unpleasant side effects. Hopefully OD'ing the dog didn't put him in any more pain than he was. Jeez.
  • kaekencoffee
    kaekencoffee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Our sincerest condolences! We had to put our beloved girl Miss Em (golden retriever) to sleep on our wedding anniversary. She was with us from the time she was 7 weeks until almost 14. She was being eaten away by cancer.
    This poem really helped us during the hardest time and I hope it will help to ease your minds as well.
    http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm It's called "Rainbow Bridge".
  • kaekencoffee
    kaekencoffee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
This discussion has been closed.