Loss of a Beloved Pet

Options

Replies

• RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I have two lab mixes, the big one, Rusty is mixed with German pointer, the little one is mixed with Jack Russel is named Ranger. They mean so much to me, I know the day they pass away will be the start of big heartbreak and I am sorry you and your family are going to go through it, but also happy you had Ranger's love and Ranger had all of you.

I'm posting something I look at regularly, to remind me to be good to my boys and appreciate them:

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years; any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me; don't be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.

3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalienable right.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment; I am not capable of understanding why. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment, and friends, but I only have you.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice and your tone. You only have to look at my tail.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it, and if it's cruel, it may affect me forever.

7. Please don't hit me. I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I really don't ever want to do that.

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak. It may be I am just dog-tired.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, regardless of what you do, I will always love you
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have two lab mixes, the big one, Rusty is mixed with German pointer, the little one is mixed with Jack Russel is named Ranger. They mean so much to me, I know the day they pass away will be the start of big heartbreak and I am sorry you and your family are going to go through it, but also happy you had Ranger's love and Ranger had all of you.

I'm posting something I look at regularly, to remind me to be good to my boys and appreciate them:

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years; any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me; don't be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.

3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalienable right.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment; I am not capable of understanding why. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment, and friends, but I only have you.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice and your tone. You only have to look at my tail.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it, and if it's cruel, it may affect me forever.

7. Please don't hit me. I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I really don't ever want to do that.

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak. It may be I am just dog-tired.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, regardless of what you do, I will always love you

That was beautiful !
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm sooo sorry for your loss. I lost my first pet almost 3 years ago and it's hard. I got her memorial stone with Peternity and they did a great job on it. I know how heart breaking it is so I'm praying for you both during this hard time.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You OD'd your dog? What was wrong with letting the vet euthanize him, exactly? There had to have been some unpleasant side effects.
    There probably were some unpleasant side effects. Hopefully OD'ing the dog didn't put him in any more pain than he was. Jeez.

Yah, I don't know if that is the best way to let a beloved friend go....
  • kimberly2122
    kimberly2122 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If he was so beloved why didnt you take him to the vet and have him put down without the suffering of a drug overdose! SORRY for your loss but what a insensitive thing to do. Having him put down at the vet would have been quick and painless. Poor dog!
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to the negative posts. You did what you thought best and probably with the vets advice. It is hard losing a 4 legged loved one. There love is unconditional and they become like your children. I glad he is not suffering anymore and he will be waiting to greet you, tail wagging when it is your time
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. We've just found out my cat has a cancerous tumour on her lung. But why didn't you take it to the vet? Seriously, shouldn't be giving him things like that?! I assume you're in USA, but do they not have 24 hour emergency vets? We do in UK. Not sure for USA. Unless you were actually acting on advice from a vet? So sad, sorry again for your loss.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    From my favorite author, Gene Hill:

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself.

He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever—in case I need him. And I expect I will—as I always have. He is just my dog.

Tears and Laughter
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss.

I am with others on this and am sad you OD'd your dog. I'm so surprised it's even legal to do that here. My father-in-law did that to his family dog of TWENTY ONE years to save money on a vet bill. I was very resentful about that and vowed to never do that.

Thoughts aside, I am happy your dog had a wonderful life to live up until it's last day. Sorry don't mean any harsh feelings.
  • domino38
    domino38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Although I truly sympathize with you and your loss I have to respond to this so that anyone else reading this will not take matters such as this into their own hands.
    Having worked in the veterinary field I can with utmost certainty say that a Veterinarian would never suggest to overdose your pet. There are so many variables involved and every situation is different when euthanizing your pet. Drugs that are used in humans may or may not have the same effect on our pets. Benadryl for instance can have a stimulating effect on humans and in our pets.
    I am not going to go into detail on how euthanasia is performed but it is humane and quick in most cases under the proper care of a trained animal care technician or Veterinarian.
    I am not trying to make you feel worse or post something negative. The fact is that no one should perform this unless they are trained to do so and certainly not using Benadryl.
    I realize that you thought you were doing the right thing and trying to end the suffering before being able to make the trip to the vet but in the future please make arrangements in the final days of your pets life to euthanize before the suffering goes too far. It is a hard painful decision but one that must be made before situations like this arise.
    Again I am very sorry about your loss.
  • Denise048
    Options
    OMG what a terrible way for this pet to die.
  • allikins137
    Options
    Okay seriously enough with the negitive god damn post. It is hard enough already. We didnt take him to get euthanized because it would have been almost $300 to do so and a bullet to the head would have tramatized us all even more. Do you guys think I wanted to do it that way? NO I DID NOT. We all loved this dog big time but we didnt have the $300 to take him to get euthanized or the car to take him during business hours. The benedril put the dog to sleep and shut down his lungs and he was so doped up on prescription pain meds (for the dog) we know he didnt feel anything.

NONE OF YOU WERE THERE to see exactly how much pain he was in. It took TWO bottles of Traminol to stop said pain. Do you guys think I really enjoyed seeing him that way? I would have loved to take him to the vet or have them come to us.. But I DONT HAVE THE MONEY AND I WASNT GOING TO SHOOT MY BELOVED PET IN THE DAMN HEAD.

**** most of you. None of you know how hard it was. Heaven forbid I share something meaningful to me without getting reprimand everytime I turn around.

Thank you to those who actually understand that I couldnt do it anyother way. For those who have lost someone and know my pain.. You understand that I did the best I could. I WAS NOT GOING TO SHOOT SUCH A BELOVED FRIEND.

Also domino38. It isnt like his pain was a weeklong thing. It was extremely sudden. We thought we had at least another month so why would I make arrangements to kill my pet when he wasnt in ANY pain until the final 12 hrs? Also.. Our vet HAD prescribed benedryl to euthanize many of our other pets at home. His mom has owed animals for all her life. I think she knew what she was doing. Thanks anyway.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    As I am sure you probably feel scolded, as you should, you can be arrested and charged for what you did too that dog. I volunteer at a kennel and and there were other options. Maybe its the guilt you feel, that you posted this thread. Shame on you.
  • domino38
    Options
    Again, as I said no one should do this on their own. Your vet is highly questionable if indeed they did prescribe Benadryl for this purpose.
    You say that you could not afford the $300.00 to do this. The humane society would have helped you with this. Your vet certainly would have done the procedure as this animal was suffering. You could have worked out the financial issues. You say you loved your dog and could not put him through a bullet to the head but you let him suffer for those hours. You say this came on quickly but most animals are stoic and will try and hide an illness, This is why it is important to watch for signs as not eating and drinking. This cancer did not happen as quickly as you think. This is what I mean by making these decisions before it gets to this point. I do not advocate using a gun to euthanize unless you are trained in using the gun but this would have been a lot quicker than the path you chose.
    You feel this was humane, let me ask you..have you ever seen a human that has overdosed? You are very lucky that the dog did not survive the pills that you gave him..it could have turned out very badly. I will respect your wishes and not comment any further.
    Obviously you feel as though you did the right thing...I do not agree.
  • domino38
    Options
    I totally agree with you Chasing payment. As you know, working in the animal field we try in earnest to educate folks on the responsibilities of owning a pet. I am not sure where this young lady is located but it is illegal in certain states to euthanize your own pet.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to the negative posts. You did what you thought best and probably with the vets advice. It is hard losing a 4 legged loved one. There love is unconditional and they become like your children. I glad he is not suffering anymore and he will be waiting to greet you, tail wagging when it is your time

NO vet would advocate SHOVING 100 PILLS down a suffering dog's throat! WTF?!

You murdered your dog with drugs because you couldn't shoot him in the head. That thought actually crossed your mind. I am on a fixed income due to disability, and I can scrape $300 together for my pets if they need medical treatment. You are a horrible creature, unworthy of being called a human being. You are completely lacking in humanity. I feel no sympathy for you at all.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    smells like troll up in here
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I have officially seen it all as of this post. :noway:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is horrible. I have sympathy for the dog, but very little left over for the OP. The last hours of this animal's life must have been confusing and awful.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

NO vet would advocate SHOVING 100 PILLS down a suffering dog's throat! WTF?!

You murdered your dog with drugs because you couldn't shoot him in the head. That thought actually crossed your mind. I am on a fixed income due to disability, and I can scrape $300 together for my pets if they need medical treatment. You are a horrible creature, unworthy of being called a human being. You are completely lacking in humanity. I feel no sympathy for you at all.

^Good thing YOU'RE so quick to judge, you saint, you. We should all follow your every example in life and seek your approval. Clearly $300 is just a drop in the bucket when an animal needs it badly enough...
This discussion has been closed.