Water, water, water!

Options
MereMe
MereMe Posts: 312 Member
Water check! Where are you on intake? I am at 80oz! 20 to my goal! I am learning something about myself - if I drink most of my water throughout the day and before 5, I am more likely to reach my goal. Having more than 16oz to drink before bed de-motivates me and I often stop short of my goal. Anyone else like that?

Replies

• szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at getting enough water, which I'm pretty sure has led to water retention issues at times. I've found that I'm more likely to get enough water when I use pint glasses (only 4 trips to get 8 glasses instead of 8) and at work (since it's good to take quick breaks to walk around every hour or so anyway).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't put any goals on water. There's no advantage to drinking large quantities of water and drinking excess actually puts strain on your kidneys and can wash away essential minerals. Most people get adequate fluids between liquids they drink and foods they eat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't put any goals on water. There's no advantage to drinking large quantities of water and drinking excess actually puts strain on your kidneys and can wash away essential minerals. Most people get adequate fluids between liquids they drink and foods they eat.

Bingo! I actually think the whole water quota thing is kind of silly.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I average around 4 cups of water a day and don't feel so bad about it because I know my body is also getting water from the fruits and vegetables I eat. Activity levels affect whether I'll drink more or not. I don't follow the '8 glasses a day' theory...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like my 8-10 glasses a day (4-5 pints pints, actually), but then I've always been a big water lover.

I drink my first 20 oz before I eat breakfast, and then after my morning coffee, I usually sip on a 16-oz cup at work between ~ 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. I chug another 16 oz right before l eat lunch-- which makes my tummy feel fuller, and I don't crave as much food. Then I'll have one more at dinner. Then very often I'll have another 16 - 20 oz between dinner and bedtime.

No big deal.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    My goal is to drink water when I'm thirsty and am too lazy to make a cup of coffee... So far, I've reached my goal 100% of the time.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

^^ This. It's also a distraction to the important things like calories, and macro- and micro-nutrient intake.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love my water ... not. I drink 90 oz (they say you should drink half your body weight in ounces?) I absolutely hate water, but by goodness I have been getting it in regardless. And this week I was down 3 lbs... so maybe water is great haha
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. I do drink more than I used to - I was generally pretty dehydrated before I started on MFP, but I don't see any advantage to drinking that much, and I'm quite happy to get my fluids in a variety of forms, not just plain water.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

^^ This. It's also a distraction to the important things like calories, and macro- and micro-nutrient intake.

Egggzzzzakly!
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I drink over 100 oz of water every day...usually around 130 oz. But if I don't drink close to that my pee is yellow and I get headaches. so I think each person is different in regards to their water needs
  • drodrigues123
    Options
    Interesting! I have attempted every day for a week to get my 8 glasses in... but I dont have time to be in the bathroom that much!
  • ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Between 4 to 6 16.9 oz bottles a day. So that's between 64oz and 101oz.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I definantly find myself succeeding at the scale when I drink half of my body weight in water! Maybe it's because it flushes toxins and sodium and/or maybe it's because I feel full most of the day. Hey - if I gotta float to skinny, I am good with that! I started nutritional supplements 3 weeks ago and have had great results. My water intake is something I make a priority. I use MIO often to flavor it (because plain water is SO not for me!) 21 Days of nutritional supplements and h2o results: Down 13.8#, Lost 11.8" overall (3" lost were from from my stomach, 2.5" from my thigh, and 2.3 from my hips), -3% body fat, & BMI down 2.2% ... FLOAT ME ON TO SKINNY, PLEASE! ;)
  • Danjan04
    Danjan04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you include coffee and crystal light drinks in your water intake?
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. At work I refill my 1 litre bottle usually twice and I like to put lemon juice in at least half of my water a day. I find drinkig that much water helps me with fluid retention as I do suffer from that in my legs terribly.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to drink more than two pints of water in a working day but I drink a bit of herbal tea too which counts. My scales give me my body hydration percentage and it's always at a good level so that's enough for me.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Kinda gross but if you're concerned about water intake you need to monitor how yellow your urine is. If you're close to clear you're doing fine if you are getting really yellow you are getting dehydrated. Like others said, don't go crazy because you can get water toxicity.

I usually try to drink a tall glass of water in the morning before making breakfast. After that I don't force myself too much, just naturally after exercise. I don't drink while I eat diner but I do try to drink a full glass of water or milk after my meal. Just enough to avoid getting that cravings that are actually dehydration signals.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I tend to do really well with my water intake--with the exception of being super thirsty about an hour before I go to bed. Then I'm up twice in the night and of course, I drink even more water!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't think the strain on your kidneys thing is true. I don't believe water strains the kidneys. I don't stress out about water intake, but I have dropped sodas. I drink coffee in the morning (black), and then water the rest of the day. Skim milk sometimes. When I don't drink enough water, I get hungry for junk more often. I don't know what the correlation is, but I sure feel it.