Weight Watchers vs. MFP

Options
124»

Replies

• blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    I too am making the transition from WW to MFP - I'm still using WW and comparing the two sites for a little while before I decide which one I will stick with. Some of the main things I like about MFP more than WW are - 1) much larger food database; 2) link to my fitbit for my activities; 3) the ability to track particular nutrients - such as potassium, etc.; 4) their app works better on my phone than the WW app.; 5) IT's FREE!. The thing I do like about WW is the "point" structure, I don't know why but it's easier for my brain than the calorie count approach - BUT, they're constantly revising it, so you have to keep up with their changes. I think I just talked myself into canceling WW and just going with MFP!!! All the best to you - I'm making the switch today - haha! Thanks for making me think about it!:laugh: :laugh: :love:
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I too am making the transition from WW to MFP - I'm still using WW and comparing the two sites for a little while before I decide which one I will stick with.

I also ran them in parallel for about two weeks. I really was going to stick with WW but the bros at bb.com made too compelling an argument for MFP. :wink:
  • healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started weight watchers online September 2012 and finally cancelled late January of this year. I lost over 45 lbs by using the points system (I had 26 points). Very rarely did I use the add on points and I upped my activity level by doing Wii Fit Plus free step for about 50 minutes a day (averaged about 4,700 steps), walked daily, and then began running in November. I lost weight every week using the online program and found it beneficial for me at that time. Since this year, I figured I am in enough of a routine that I don't need to pay for the program to keep me accountable. I think my 26 points was probably 1,200 calories that I began with when I started MFP. MFP works for me now I have lost 12 lbs more since mid January and am less than my goal weight of 129 lbs. (currently 123 lbs). I enjoy reading and getting motivated by the stories here. I am also encouraged to keep running - my first 5K is next week. As a side note, I will be 56 y.o. this year and am 5' 4.5". Feel free to add me if I can be an encouragement to you.
  • blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    I so agree with you!!!! That's how I think about the WW meetings as well. Used to drive me nuts to see all those tables of their "snacks" and to listen to the women talking about how many of this and how many of that they could eat, sometimes ripping into a box of the snacks right there at the meeting and eating them - too much focus on food!!! And profit for WW! :wink: I think I'm going to stick with MFP - great site and it's FREE!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I first joined weight watchers in the early 70s when we had to eat tuna 5 times a week and liver once a week. It worked. It worked for me again in the 80s and again in the 00s. Problem is, after the meeting topics cycled through and came around again, I'd be bored to tears. And I'd quit. And the good portion control habits would fade away as the weight slowly returned.

For me (and I've only been here a little more than a month), the 24/7 aspect of MFP along with the big and varied community of participants is key. You are never alone here. Also, the recipe, food diary, and database functions are great! I'm also totally in control of doing what works for me.

My understanding about the more recent WW program is that it relies a good deal on "net carbs" to figure points. This can be deceiving because, for instance, fruits are now "0 points." Fruits, though good for you, are high in sugar and concentrated calories and therefore you will not lose weight if you eat too many of them even if you don't accumulate points.

If you are totally new to trying to eat healthy and feel you do better with a program then WW is probably the way to go. Note, however, many of us on MFP are WW alums and, knowing more now, choose MFP over WW.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Note, however, many of us on MFP are WW alums and, knowing more now, choose MFP over WW.

This really is interesting. And it's further interesting that there are so many people here who ARE into fitness and exercise. The proverbial final nail in the coffin for cancelling WW was that I was seriously mocked and run off a men's community board for talking too much about weight training and fitness. OK, so I'm my own worst enemy, but I thought this is not the sort of support and commeraderie I need or want.