Detox Cleanse..any ideas??

I just recently tried using Advocare Herbal Cleanse..kinda pricey but did nothing!! Anyone have any suggestions on what to use that won't be so harsh & will work? I have been back on mfp 3wks & joined the gym too..just wanting to do a cleanse to start this off right. Thanks!!

Replies

• scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Eat healthy food, and don't do any cleansing bullcrap. ;)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    doing a cleanse will start this off wrong.

it's a scam. in extreme cases, it can be harmful.

there is no secret to losing weight and no miracle "get thin quick" product. if there were, Oprah wouldn't still be fat. in fact, none of us would be fat and somebody out there would be very, very rich for finding the cure for obesity.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Eat clean, keep yourself hydrated and your body will do the rest for you.
  • WinnerVictorious

or...

don't worry about eating clean, just worry about meeting your nutritional needs with whatever foods you like to eat and eat fewer calories than you burn every day.
  • Okee Dokee..I have heard so many ppl talking about doing a cleanse to get on the right track..just thought it would help:-) I have changed the way I'm eating & going to the gym 3-5x's a week..it was alot easier losing just 3yrs ago but it's a slow moving this go around. Thanks for the input!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, cut out almost all junk food and drink lots of water. Get in some exercise and save your money from all these gimicks. Your body cleanses itself ALL the time. They are scams.
  • The only cleanse I see working is the water cleanse. Start of just doing 24 hours and then a few months later try to do two days. I've heard of people going up to about 5 days. Going 5 days on only water is very difficult. You do have to remember though because you are not in-taking any food you will have to compensate for drinking a lot more water. The more water you can get to pass through you, the more your body will cleanse out. Your body, with the use of water, will clean itself out, so you do not need to be tricked into buying any sort of products. I hope I was helpful in some way.

:flowerforyou:
  • beccijohn
    beccijohn Posts: 1 Member
    Agree with wmoomoo. Drinking plenty of water and making good, clean food choices (veg, fruit etc) is better. Maybe introduce some green tea which is of course packed with antioxidants and won't harm (although may stain your teeth and make you need to wee lots to start off with!)
    There's no quick fix, as others have said if there was none of us would be here...do it the sensible way and the changes will last. Short term pain, long term gain - or rather loss!
    Good luck! :-)
  • Eat clean, keep yourself hydrated and your body will do the rest for you.

or...

don't worry about eating clean, just worry about meeting your nutritional needs with whatever foods you like to eat and eat fewer calories than you burn every day.

I don't recommend not eating clean. Eating the right amount of calories and getting the right amount of fiber doesn't really count if all the food is coming out of a box and is junk food.

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    The only cleanse I see working is the water cleanse. Start of just doing 24 hours and then a few months later try to do two days. I've heard of people going up to about 5 days. Going 5 days on only water is very difficult. You do have to remember though because you are not in-taking any food you will have to compensate for drinking a lot more water. The more water you can get to pass through you, the more your body will cleanse out. Your body, with the use of water, will clean itself out, so you do not need to be tricked into buying any sort of products. I hope I was helpful in some way.

NO!

The reason why it's so difficult to live on only water for 5 days is because you need food for your body to function properly.
  • I honestly wasn't looking for a quick fix..to drop 5-10lbs just like that..I haven't been the best eater & honestly thought I needed to do a cleanse to get me started right..I'll still to watching what I'm eating & continue with the gym:-)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Detox what exacly?
    Please can you put a name to this toxin that you are trying to "cleanse"?

If you can't then I think you have your answer.
  • Shakeology 3 day cleanse usually results in a 5-8 lb weight loss in most people, I've seen it happen time and time again. It's a great kick-start to a good exercise/nutrition program.

I personally did a 21 day program called the ultimate reset and lost 8 lbs, considering I'm 45 and was about 138lbs at the time, that's pretty impressive.

PS if anyone wants to add me as a friend please feel free
  • WinnerVictorious

or...

I don't recommend not eating clean. Eating the right amount of calories and getting the right amount of fiber doesn't really count if all the food is coming out of a box and is junk food.

eating "clean" (whatever that is, since it means something different to everybody) is a dietary choice, not a necessity.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I honestly wasn't looking for a quick fix..to drop 5-10lbs just like that..I haven't been the best eater & honestly thought I needed to do a cleanse to get me started right..I'll still to watching what I'm eating & continue with the gym:-)

Good on you ;-)

Just eat to a reasonable caloric deficit, eat mainly nutritious foods (treats are OK, just fit them into your targets) and exercise.....and be patient.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Cleanses are just a not a good idea and not necessary. There is no build up of toxins or fecal matter without some major health problem. Just eat in a reasonable deficit and get some exercise. You can eat as clean or dirty as you prefer but it really wont effect your weight loss as long as you are getting the necessary nutrients.

Most people recommend a 80/20 "clean" to "healhy" ratio for sustainable diet and nutrition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

or...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    I just recently tried using Advocare Herbal Cleanse..kinda pricey but did nothing!! Anyone have any suggestions on what to use that won't be so harsh & will work? I have been back on mfp 3wks & joined the gym too..just wanting to do a cleanse to start this off right. Thanks!!

I've had a thread up about cleanses. You may want to go read through some of the comments that I received. Everyone who was successful attributed their success to diet and exercise, and only a psychological component to the cleanse.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/897611-juicing-cleanse-success-stories

Anyone who says different is either trying to sell you something, or defend their own decision through trying to convince you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Shakeology 3 day cleanse usually results in a 5-8 lb weight loss in most people, I've seen it happen time and time again. It's a great kick-start to a good exercise/nutrition program.

I personally did a 21 day program called the ultimate reset and lost 8 lbs, considering I'm 45 and was about 138lbs at the time, that's pretty impressive.

PS if anyone wants to add me as a friend please feel free
    trap_zps3e505270.jpg
  • I just recently tried using Advocare Herbal Cleanse..kinda pricey but did nothing!! Anyone have any suggestions on what to use that won't be so harsh & will work? I have been back on mfp 3wks & joined the gym too..just wanting to do a cleanse to start this off right. Thanks!!

To be quite honest with you, MFP isn't the forum nor does it attract the group of people with whom you would want to discuss cleanses. As a vegetarian, I can tell you that I do juice fasts, which I call cleanses, twice monthly, just drinking fresh vegetables (sometimes fruits) to alkalize my body. When I'm not fasting, however, I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and legumes, so juicing is not an issue for me.

I recommend juicing for 3 days to get your feet wet in cleansing and ridding your body of any toxins you may have as a result of pouring junk into your system. Cleanses are tough and I don't see any reason to do them unless you fully intend to commit to a clean eating lifestyle.