Low carb dieters.. WHAT do you eat?!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Try telling diabetics that eating low carb is stupid, and unsustainable. Ask them if they plan to eat that way the rest of their life. I'm sure they will answer yes, as long as they want to stay healthy.

Would you ask someone that is allergic to peanuts, if they plan to not ever eat peanut butter again? Is it stupid that they have cut a specific food out of their diet? Is that not sustainable for life?

What is stupid, is people coming in, uneducated, making blanket statements bashing other people's choices in what they put in their body. And to try to cover it by saying they are just 'curious', is so passive-aggressive. If you are indeed 'curious', then try using this tool called Google and look it up. Educate yourself about a topic before you start bashing something that is a way of life for many people, either by choice or by medical necessity.

if the thread disturbed you so much why did you click on it and post?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Oh and guess what, 30 grams of carbs from sweet potato and 30 grams of carbs from poptarts is the same thing in terms of effects to body composition. Can't wait to get so much hate for this.

really? I always thought that complex carbs were supposed to be superior..aka sweet potato....curious..
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Oh and guess what, 30 grams of carbs from sweet potato and 30 grams of carbs from poptarts is the same thing in terms of effects to body composition. Can't wait to get so much hate for this.

really? I always thought that complex carbs were supposed to be superior..aka sweet potato....curious..

Yeah.. he doesn't know what he's talking about with this. Just *ignore* that one.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    :sick: Hi, Low carb diets are very dangerous! I tried this and had lost weight but, I had developed a blood clot in my leg.
    I could have had a stroke and died! but I was thin. I would have looked great on my death bed and in my coffin.
    It's not a natural way to eat or live. Don't even think of trying this. It is very dangerous!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    :sick: Hi, Low carb diets are very dangerous! I tried this and had lost weight but, I had developed a blood clot in my leg.
    I could have had a stroke and died! but I was thin. I would have looked great on my death bed and in my coffin.
    It's not a natural way to eat or live. Don't even think of trying this. It is very dangerous!

...and you actually had a doctor tell you that said blood clot was caused by a low carb diet? Or are just just assuming that because they occurred close together that one led to the other?
  • The Glycemic index is so flawed on sooo many levels that people should really stop using that to compare foods.
  • It's not going to make a difference. Your body is all going to turn it into glucose. Yes, it's good to have foods that are nutrient dense but telling me that I should be ignored is plain wrong.
  • I would show you pics of people that follow IIFYM, but you seem like the type that would just accuse them of being on steroids. I can show you studies on G.I proving that it's bogus.
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Your body needs carbs for fuel with heavy exercise, that doesn't require knowledge of what a low diet carb consists of that's just fact.

Not according to top scientific peer reviewed research on nutritional science. The human body requires very few carbs at all. But hey, you want to follow mainstream mythology, whatever.

To name these "top scientific peer reviewed research" studies?...

Your body doesn't NEED carbs, correct. But prefers them as a source of fuel for intense training, such as weight lifting, HIIT, etc.

Your body prefers them because they convert to fat easier. Your physiology wants to store fat,however, this biology is exactly what we are trying to work against to lose weight.

Also, I am not citing any scientific sources for you. Google it yourself and maybe you will read them. I suggest JSTORE if you have a student account. Otherwise, google scholar is a great source for scholarly articles.

LOL you gotta love it when someone says "according to all the peer reviewed literature...' and then can't even cite said peer reviewed literature. If you were writing a research paper you of just received an F -

Yeah, I never sail "all" and I gave sources for someone to research themselves. I have been studying nutrition (specifically hormone responses to nutritional changes) for over a year. I have plenty of journal articles from around the world that confirm that very few carbs are required in human diets and that the body does convert sugars to energy or storage more easily than fat. It is all based on how much effort the body has to put into breaking down or rearranging molecules.
    As for my "F". I am not writing a research paper for you. I do not have to cite anything. I gave a resource. Like I said, maybe if you chose to make the effort to find it yourself, you might actually read it. In the mean time, post some of your own scientific sources or stop being a pompous *kitten*.
  • Most dietitians even think the G.I is flawed.
  • Multifacet
    Multifacet Posts: 66 Member
    Let's be honest here. The only reason people do low carb is because they think that's the "only way to lose weight." I used to do that and I can't imagine ever going back to that. People that have the mentality "oh carbs cause an insulin response. If I remove them, it's impossible to store fat." Your body turns protein into glucose.

Actually the reason I eat low carb (under a doctor's supervision) is to stay off of insulin. I wore an insulin pump for many years and used over 100 units a day!! I wanted that to go away and it has.... If I eat over a certain amount at a time, my numbers will skyrocket. So, losing weight is one reason, but not the "only". BTW, I am losing weight and will have to eat this way forever.

P.S. I have an open diary and nothing to hide.
  • FitandFab33
    Most dietitians even think the G.I is flawed.

The GI is actually VERY flawed- I said their glycemic RESPONSE.. as in the metabolic/physiological response to the specific foods.. is variable.

The Glycemic Index is called into question because it does NOT take enough into account- for instance- carrots are fairly high on the GI, but carrots only have a high enough GL to qualify for their level on the GI if someone eats an exorbitant amount of them. How many people sit down and eat an entire plate of carrots?

So yes, it is flawed, which accounts for the relative closeness of sweet potatoes to pop tarts on the GI (60:70)- thank you for your support of my argument.
  • Multifacet
    Multifacet Posts: 66 Member
    I imagine basically eggs and meat and not much else?

I eat 100-150grams carbs/day, and I get those from veg/fruit/nuts and occasionally some legumes. I don't know how I'd manage to do less than 50 without severly cutting back my veges.

I eat a primary plant based diet, stay low carb (under 30g). It isn't difficult when you cut unnecessary sugars out of your diet.

I eat at about 1400 cal/day and am fairly active with yoga and weightlifting.

^^Yes. I eat 1800-2000/day, and have never found it problematic staying low carb and eating a lot of veggies. You do realise the vast majority of veggies are very low in carbs, right? It's kind of ridiculous to imagine that people eating low carb are only eating plates of meat, haha. The vast majority of us are eating lots of veggies, and a bit of fruit here and there as well. Some of us consume whole dairy as well. :laugh:

Yay!! Thank you!
  • FitandFab33
    It's not going to make a difference. Your body is all going to turn it into glucose. Yes, it's good to have foods that are nutrient dense but telling me that I should be ignored is plain wrong.

And I didn't tell you that you should be ignored.. I told someone else to ignore a blatantly ignorant statement that you made.

Back to the original statement- you cannot consume 30g of carbs from pop tart without consuming the rest of the crap that's in them... and yes it is all turned into glucose in the body, but at different rates. The rapid acquisition of glucose leads to fat anabolism... and yes, it pisses me off when people like you say things like that because I know what you're talking about.. and YOU know what you mean, but most people don't! Most people read something like that and jump to: nutritional quality doesn't matter. The hormonal responses to metabolic physiology play a huge factor in weight loss and energy metabolism.. and it's not fair to give people some skewed version of the story and leave them hanging.
  • Like we said before, if it's medically necessary, then do what your doctor said.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    I don't do low carb, never could but my Dad does and he's lost 100 pounds doing it.

He eats: Steak, Chicken, Cheese, Hamburger, Broccoli, Nuts, Pork, Eggs, Protein Powder, Caesar Salad, Roast Beef, Fish ,Bacon and Atkins bars

Pretty much all meat and veggies never anything like bread, rice or pasta. Boring as hell if you ask me. And I always worry about the amount of fat he's eating. I think you're better off just finding a balance. It works better for a lot of people. Eliminating entire food groups and stuff is really hard.

My Dad has been doing it for a few years now but it's also partially BC he doesn't really LIKE foods that are higher carb as much. He prefer thing like steak. He was never much of a rice and potatoes kind of guy so he isn't missing out.

I love carbs so I'd never give them up. I like not giving up anything at all
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Everyone's different. For example, I couldn't get by on your levels of protein, my god, you're not even tracking it. You can't do without your carbs - other people can't do without their protein and fat - get over it.
  • FitandFab33
    It's not your job or my job to educate the world... but you know better (at least I think you do) so why mislead them with crap statements like that?
  • I'm not misleading anyone. That is why I said it's fine to eat "poptarts" as long as you are getting nutrient dense food. I said it because it's true. People think you have to eat brown rice and salads all day to lose weight.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    I've been eating relatively low carb for two years and working out quite regularly. No, it hasn't been an issue and if it was, i would do something different. No big deal. Just because it works for me doesn't give me the expectation that it should work for anyone else.

As far as i'm concerned, anybody who consistently watches what they eat and stays fit is way ahead of the curve no matter how they do it.