Recording when you go over cal goals

Options

Replies

• Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    Its all getting recorded.The good,the bad and the very very calorifically ugly.Thats the point of this,surely. For more years than i care to remember I've lied to myself about what has been scoffed but the truth has been painfully obvious on my body! Well,no more.Truth only from now on,pretty or not.:ohwell:
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I put the "overage" onto the next day's breakfast. I am starting out with fewer calories to burn for the day, but that way it averages out over 2 days.

That's a good idea. I sometimes close my diary but then get tempted to have something that would take me over my daily limit. This would help average things out as MFP doesn't do it over a week. Thanks for that idea.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Record it all. It is the week as a whole that matters.
  • phoenixrizez
    phoenixrizez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I JUST did this last night (okay around 2am this morning) and it was EMBARASSING! I made my food diary public for accountability purposes and admitting that I am eating fast food junk (when I am not THAT hungry) has been a real wake up call. If you are looking for friends by the way add me! I could use more encouragement and good luck to you as well!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Either you're counting calories or you're not.
  • phoenixrizez
    phoenixrizez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I put the "overage" onto the next day's breakfast. I am starting out with fewer calories to burn for the day, but that way it averages out over 2 days.

That's a good idea. I sometimes close my diary but then get tempted to have something that would take me over my daily limit. This would help average things out as MFP doesn't do it over a week. Thanks for that idea.

SUCH a good idea!! I am going to do that today!! Thanks!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i do it - sometimes not right away, but usually by the next day ill have it all logged. even if i go on a crazy "im upset and going to just eat everything in the house" kinda binge, i try to guesstimate how many servings of chips or whatever even though i didnt measure them. its important to me to see my weekly numbers and sometimes my "binges" arent as bad as i though, and totally fixable by the end of the week
  • Biitchstix
    Options
    I record everyday except for my cheat days (I have one a week on either saturday or sunday) and if I go over I just make sure I know exactly where I went wrong/what to cut out next time...
    Night snacking is usually what gets me so I'm trying to get to bed earlier and eat a bigger breakfast in the morning.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I record it all and sometimes I only record until I go over and then the sheer embarrassment and disappointment and shame make stop posting the rest. But I always know which days those have been so though it isn't posted, I know what happened and can see the results of my bad choices. For me the most important thing is that I'm learning from my mistakes and getting better.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    To me, the most valuable feature of MFP is the data you create and can then analyze to see what's working and what's not. If you don't log on the days you overeat, your data is worthless.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I am really wondering how many people record literally everything you eat even when you have a BAD eating day. I record literally eat bite sometimes it's 2500 cals but I'm being honest. How many others make sure they do this or do you just quit and start again the next day???

Definitely log it and definitely move on after having an off day.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I record everything the good, bad, & ugly. What's the point in lying to yourself. You must be accountable to yourself first before being accountable to others.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I like to look at data and analyze things. So I make sure to record EVERYTHING, even on those bad days. I love the reports section of MFP.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I don't always record, usually if I have already added my days stuff and then have a late night snack but I dont actually do that often. I don't use mpf to hold myself accountable, more it is just a tool so that I can aim to stay around a certain amount of calories and if I go over it is not the end of the world, though not something I want to do everyday.

I dont reward myself or kid myself if mpf says I am always good lol
  • JuliaCarman
    JuliaCarman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Really good thought. It sure makes a difference to see it written down, and you are only cheating yourself when you don't write it down. Look at it, realize what areas were off track, and adjust the next day. After all, this is a journey not a sprint to the finish.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I record it all.

I've been up to 2k calories over on an exceptionally rotten day. But I log it all anyway. I don't care about other people seeing that on my diary. I'm not here to impress anybody by being perfect every day. Screw being perfect. I'm human, and I mess up sometimes. It's normal.

Like others, I like to look back over my bad days and see what things I could have done without. "If I had gotten the small instead of the medium, I would have been good." etc
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I generally try to log everything (that's the point). I have not been successful with that when I travel, but I now have the app on my phone so I should be better going forward.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater so I don't really need to track calories when I go over to figure out where I went wrong. If I'm having a rough time, well I go over. A lot. I do consciously make the decision to do so and it only happens in the evening and then I'll have one large delicious item but usually tracking exactly what I have is too depressing so I normally log "emotional snack - 1000cal" (because it normally more than that). That way I can clearly see that I went far over (it generally puts me over by the amount that snack had because I only do this in the evening) but I spare myself the agony of counting all of it.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I was logging everything but coffee. Now I am logging that (2 c) and I am delighted with how much potassium it has.
  • cavellj
    Options
    It's important to record everything. It's okay to slip and/or have a cheat day. The more you deny yourself, the more likely you are to continue to over-eat. Use it as motivation to stay at your calorie goal, but don't get down on yourself too much- nobody is perfect, and everyone deserves a break. Plus, if you're not seeing results, you can look back and see that you've been eating more than you should, or not exercising enough. You won't have any excuses to fall back on, other than your own behavior. And, remember, keep good food around the house and you will eat good food. That's the easiest way to stick to your goal.