How many of you don't eat any wheat?

Options
I saw a youtube video on a fitness guru who told all of her reasons why you shouldn't eat wheat and why it was bad for you. My husband doesn't eat wheat anymore after he read an article on it, and he said it has helped both his fitness goals and over all health goals but I am skeptical... anyone not eating wheat?

Replies

• speedgraphic19
    Options
    I'm trying to cut it out of my diet because I think I may be gluten intolerant. It's tough. I miss toast :(

It hasn't been long enough since I cut out wheat to see any kind of "progress", really, but cutting out wheat products meant cutting out a lot of carbs which ended up meaning that I'm eating fewer calories per day and need to get those calories from other (probably healthier) sources. *shrug*
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue with wheat there is no need to avoid it and cut it out of your diet.

Some of these "fitness guru's" meed to find another job.

Don't go believe something based off an article. The author can put any spin on it than they want. Make decisions based on peer reviewed research and studies.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut it out of my diet because I think I may be gluten intolerant. It's tough. I miss toast :(

It hasn't been long enough since I cut out wheat to see any kind of "progress", really, but cutting out wheat products meant cutting out a lot of carbs which ended up meaning that I'm eating fewer calories per day and need to get those calories from other (probably healthier) sources. *shrug*

Why not go get a test to see if you are? Would probably be easier than trying to figure it out on your own.

If you had an issue with gluten you would of seen results as soon as you cut it out of your diet.... so unless you are still consuming foods that have gluten in it you do not have an issue with gluten.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love watching Youtube videos by self appointed "gurus" and blindly changing my diet/lifestyle based on their psedo-science beliefs. It makes life worth living.

The internet doesn't lie, does it?
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Why not go get a test to see if you are? Would probably be easier than trying to figure it out on your own.

If you had an issue with gluten you would of seen results as soon as you cut it out of your diet.... so unless you are still consuming foods that have gluten in it you do not have an issue with gluten.

*just want to throw this out there...my doc said this week that she cant test me because I have cut out gluten about 2 months ago. Its easier to test before you cut the gluten from your diet. And Im just referring to people who may have intolerances or sensitivities, not Celiacs.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat and I'm doing just fine :)
  • Chichitas12
    Options
    You guys are so rude.... lol I said I was skeptical. I wanted to see what other people thought or if anyone else did this? Grow up people... if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be on MFP :happy: just saying
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    haha don't listen to the haters. there are more of them on this board than anything else. MFP is full of people looking to ridicule others because they're insecure about themselves and the only way they feel better is to insult people behind the anonymity of the internet.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    haha don't listen to the haters. there are more of them on this board than anything else. MFP is full of people looking to ridicule others because they're insecure about themselves and the only way they feel better is to insult people behind the anonymity of the internet.

Unlike CoachReddy who is very secure and always sure about himself!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I had IBS/wheat intolerance symptoms, but I have increased my protein intake and reduced my wheat and I can now eat wheat without any problems.

For a while I only ate Finn Crisps (rye) and had no bread, pasta etc. But I gradually introduced it back in without any problems.

Sometimes I think your body just goes into overload and you have to cut things out temporarily. But that doesn't mean you never get to eat them again.

That said, this is all my personal experience and I have no science to back it up. :smile:
  • AnnDenny
    AnnDenny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I used to be allergic to wheat as a child, so I grew up avoiding it.
    But I eventually grew out of it and can eat it without any problems.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Unlike CoachReddy who is very secure and always sure about himself!

very, very rarely will i ridicule anyone on these boards unless they add nothing to a conversation/troll/attack etc :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Unlike some on here I do not see an issue with wheat or grains for that matter. Unless you have a medical condition where consuming these would cause you harm then there is no reason you can not incorporate them into you daily intake. That is not being a hater just a realist that all foods in moderation are just fine in your day as long as they fit.... Comes down to personal preference.....
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Unlike some on here I do not see an issue with wheat or grains for that matter. Unless you have a medical condition where consuming these would cause you harm then there is no reason you can not incorporate them into you daily intake. That is not being a hater just a realist that all foods in moderation are just fine in your day as long as they fit.... Comes down to personal preference.....

*sigh* all food being fine in moderation is simply not true for a large number of people. and yes, obviously, if you're not sensitive to grains you can eat them freely. the question becomes, how do you KNOW you're not sensitive to them?

this argument is already happening in another thread though. This OP was simply asking a question of people who DON'T eat wheat. If you do, then you don't really belong in the thread........ she wasn't asking for your input in the first place.
  • guinnessstella
    guinnessstella Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just did food sensitivity testing through my naturopath and found out that I am reactive to gluten so I have cut it out. Fortunately there are lots of gluten-free options available out there!
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I cut back on it. I still have it but very small amount. My daughter doesnt have it at all because she does have sensitive issues. I like udi's because I still like toast occasionally. lol
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    We're starting to cut out gluten. My husband has health problems, I figured it can't hurt me much either with my thyroid disorder, so why not try it. It's more than just wheat for us though, but we're slowly weeding it out in the house.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat any wheat because I see that when I do I retain a lot of water....
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My husband and one of my children have sensitivities to wheat. I don't care how many people think it is a fad diet or bs...nobody likes gastrointestinal issues. I still eat it but nowhere near as much as before. When I cut it out for 6 months a few years back I lost a ton of weight. NOT because of any amazing changes in my body from the avoidance, but because I tend to have portion control issues with it! Multiple bowls of cereal, tons of toast, cookies, baked goods, bagels, etc.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

*sigh* all food being fine in moderation is simply not true for a large number of people. and yes, obviously, if you're not sensitive to grains you can eat them freely. the question becomes, how do you KNOW you're not sensitive to them?

this argument is already happening in another thread though. This OP was simply asking a question of people who DON'T eat wheat. If you do, then you don't really belong in the thread........ she wasn't asking for your input in the first place.

and if she has no medical condition that would cause her problems eating wheat then there is no reason she can not consume them as part of her daily intake... and where do you get off telling me I have no business in a thread??? I have yet to add anyone to my ignore list but you my friend are getting really close... I have 4 years of trial and error and over 300 lbs. of weightloss and experience to say I have just as much of a right in any thread I see fit to comment in.... That being said OP this all comes down to finding what works best for you, trial and error is the only way you will ever find out how your body will respond but my point is if you have no medical conditions to certain foods then there really is no reason to cut them out of your diet other than not liking them...