How many of you don't eat any wheat?

Options

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    the tests are not accurate

Tests for celiac disease are accurate. If you make IgA antibodies at all, an anti-EMA test is likely to pick up if you are celiac or not, before going into the biopsy. Biopsies are getting better now too with improvements in technology, especially in cases of celiac where damage to the small intestine may be spotty and possibly missed by traditional biopsy.

Some people don't make IgA antibodies, these people will come up false negative and could still have celiac disease.

As to gluten intolerance as opposed to celiac disease. it's hard to test for. Also, if you were GF for a long time before going in for the tests, you will test as negative when you might be positive -- you'll have to do a gluten challenge.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    i do not do wheat. i had joint pain and i have pcos, my symptoms were getting really bad. i used a thing called google to research my symptoms, and now that i eat no wheat and no refined sugar and eat real food, (no gluten free goodies) i am able to live. not to mention lose weight which is very hard to do wen you have pcos

I used Google once to research some symptoms I was having and ended up diagnosing myself with Lymphoma, Fibromyalgia, Acid Reflux, and I think I might have been having a heart attack as well. ;)

that is funny! me too! but seriously........ if you cut something out of your diet and you feel better and function better, what is wrong with that. ?????

Absolutely! It's hard to argue with results, if it works for you, do it!
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's not that I avoid wheat, but rather that I try not to eat bread. I love bread and am very addicted to it, so I cut it out of my diet with the exception of the occasional eating out or with friends that I allow myself a small bit. I've definitely noticed that my hunger levels are lessened and I don't need to snack as much, but that just could be because I was seriously addicted.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. If I eat a whole bunch of it for weeks on end, I notice arthritis type symptoms increase. When I give it up they go away. I try to take breaks but can't live without it totally. I love bread and pasta!
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Tests for celiac disease are accurate. If you make IgA antibodies at all, an anti-EMA test is likely to pick up if you are celiac or not, before going into the biopsy. Biopsies are getting better now too with improvements in technology, especially in cases of celiac where damage to the small intestine may be spotty and possibly missed by traditional biopsy.

Some people don't make IgA antibodies, these people will come up false negative and could still have celiac disease.

As to gluten intolerance as opposed to celiac disease. it's hard to test for. Also, if you were GF for a long time before going in for the tests, you will test as negative when you might be positive -- you'll have to do a gluten challenge.

that is what i mean, why go through all that testing when it is prob not going to say for sure if you are or aren't? the easiest way to see if gluten i causing a problem is to cut it out for a month and add it back. i know many who have had a false negative after all the money to get tested
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

that is what i mean, why go through all that testing when it is prob not going to say for sure if you are or aren't? the easiest way to see if gluten i causing a problem is to cut it out for a month and add it back. i know many who have had a false negative after all the money to get tested

boom. this.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago my doc ordered blood work and told me I was borderline diabetic. Diabetes runs in the family, so it was no big shocker. He told me to switch to wheat everything. I did, wheat bread, wheat pasta, etc. And I have never changed any other diet habits and I have been fine and never did get diabetes. My family is used to it and my eight year old won't even eat white bread, she says it tastes funny.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do not eat any grains.
    It is working well for me and I am healthier.
    We are all different and our health/food plans should reflect that.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

False negatives on blood testing only happens to people who don't make the antibodies at all, or refuse to do a gluten challenge. The tests aren't expensive, at least they weren't when I was in Europe. No idea about the USA, I wasn't tested in the US. At any rate, when the antibody test is positive, it is 100 percent positive, which is pretty darn accurate. It's also not hard to diagnose if a patient has IgA deficiency.

The reason celiac disease needs to be ruled out definitively is that you could have something else, and it could be worse than celiac disease. There is also refractory sprue which is unresponsive to a gluten free diet and needs to be treated much more aggressively, as it is generally a kind of lymphoma. IgE allergies to gluten can also be dangerous. People who put the testing off aren't doing themselves favors.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue with wheat there is no need to avoid it and cut it out of your diet.

Some of these "fitness guru's" meed to find another job.

Don't go believe something based off an article. The author can put any spin on it than they want. Make decisions based on peer reviewed research and studies.

How about making decisions based on how your body feels. Some people can gobble wheat and seem to have no problem but I have never met someone who goes gluten free and doesn't feel better within two weeks.
  • ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am Gluten-free. My legs would itch anytime I'd start an exercise program, so I removed wheat and now I can exercise without any issues.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat wheat bc it makes my stomach hurt badly. Being wheat-free does not make you lose weight or improve your fitness.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wheat seems to charge up hunger for me. I stopped eating wheat when I realized that it inflamed my arthritis. There are new studies that link wheat with autism and ADHD. Wheat and some milk proteins get undigested into the body because of the leaky bowel syndrome. Wheat today is so altered from decades ago. I found that the same amount of calories from white and sweet potatoes a lot less than the same amount of calories from wheat. Personally, I suspect that wheat is responsible for a lot more medical problems than are curently known.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some kind of abnormality, wheat is fine.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    i do not do wheat. i had joint pain and i have pcos, my symptoms were getting really bad. i used a thing called google to research my symptoms, and now that i eat no wheat and no refined sugar and eat real food, (no gluten free goodies) i am able to live. not to mention lose weight which is very hard to do wen you have pcos

I used Google once to research some symptoms I was having and ended up diagnosing myself with Lymphoma, Fibromyalgia, Acid Reflux, and I think I might have been having a heart attack as well. ;)

This
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't eat wheat because I have celiacs. I also don't eat rye or barley (for the same reason) or corn or oats because they both make me sick.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You guys are so rude.... lol I said I was skeptical. I wanted to see what other people thought or if anyone else did this? Grow up people... if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be on MFP :happy: just saying

im just here for the lulz.

wheat is one of my faves...we tight, me and wheat...like BFFs
  • sociologywoman
    sociologywoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add my two cents... Gluten Intolerance is becoming more 'popular" simply because Gluten has now been added to so many products that are available on the market it's almost impossible NOT to ingest!! I did a lot of testing and then had a food allergy test administered. I showed that I had gluten sensitivities or intolerance and I was advised to eliminate it. There is enough supporting evidence available for the general market that shows that a lot of other problems people are facing can be caused by Gluten Sensitivities.

There are certainly people who say you "shouldn't" eliminate it. But here's the problem...when it is in everything (because it's used as a binding agent)...this is how people build up interolerances to items (and it can be to anything actually). Gluten is in sauces, condiments, breads, pastas, jello, crackers, cookies, etc etc etc etc... and you have to think...THESE are the staples of MOST of American's diet. Fewer people eat just fresh fruits/veg and lean proteins. Certainly in moderation, for most people gluten wouldn't be an issue....but most people do not eat these things or most things in moderation!!!

Some people with Celic disease point out the obvious that this is almost life threatening for their because their bodies attack when gluten is present. I have experienced severe reactions when I add gluten back into my diet....stomach upset, bloating, etc etc etc.. The biggest thing is not whether it's healthy or not...the biggest question is that is it healthy in HUGE doses!!! Just like you wouldn't sit down and eat trans fats in HUGE doses (or shouldn't) or eat HUGE amounts of Sugars, or Lard...etc etc... the same is true for Gluten... all of these Items can have extreme impacts on the body. Its up to people to educate themselves, the Internet is at basically every ones finger tips anymore. I don't think this is just a FAD...I think we will be seeing more and more reactions to these "additives" that have only been introduced over the past 30-40yrs with no real studies or looks at them or their side affects until recently.

Isn't sad that companies like Gaterade had an additive to drinks that was originally patented as a Flame Retardant. Or that Splenda is simply a Chlorine chemical with 3 sugar components attached...if you wouldn't drink bleach...why is it ok to consume it this way???? THESE are serious questions we should be asking!!!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I saw a youtube video on a fitness guru who told all of her reasons why you shouldn't eat wheat and why it was bad for you. My husband doesn't eat wheat anymore after he read an article on it, and he said it has helped both his fitness goals and over all health goals but I am skeptical... anyone not eating wheat?

I eat anything and everything in moderation and feel great. Don't buy into pseudoscience.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I saw a youtube video on a fitness guru who told all of her reasons why you shouldn't eat wheat and why it was bad for you. My husband doesn't eat wheat anymore after he read an article on it, and he said it has helped both his fitness goals and over all health goals but I am skeptical... anyone not eating wheat?

I don't think it is a bad idea to minimize wheat intake. The problem with wheat is that today the majority of wheat is GMO, so it is a super wheat which in turn has super gluten. So more and more people who would normally not be bothered by wheat are finding they have gluten sensitivities, allergies and even full blown celiac disease.

The hard part if you do have a gluten sensitivity you may not even realise it because the symptons often are brushed off or thought to be caused by something else. So if you husband stop eating wheat and noticed a big difference he just may be gluten sensitive. You won't know until you eliminate it for at least 2-3weeks and if you don't notice a difference I think you should be just fine with it.

The thing with gluten sensitivity is that is not only found in wheat but things like barley and rye...etc... The super wheat could be the problem and someone could be fine w/normal gluten.. but if they really have a gluten allergy they are going to want to eliminate all gluten products.

Good news is that there are other kinds of flour that are gluten free so you don't have to go w/out your toast or pasta... just a gluten free version.. but do keep in mind it is still a carb. =\