"No Carbs After Lunch!"

Options
Today I saw a poster on the gym wall that says in bold "NO CARBS AFTER LUNCH!" No description or reason why. :huh:
Who goes by this rule? And if so why or why not?
Just curious! :smile:

Replies

• adubyou
    adubyou Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've heard/read similar things. I definitely don't go by this... it just doesn't work for me. For me, the way for me to stick with it is all things in moderation. So, having said that, you typically won't catch me eating pasta for dinner, but it's not entirely outta the question.

Moderation is key.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    There is an old theory that eating carbs late in the day will increase fat production. Studies have shown otherwise but some weightlifters still adhere to this policy. Since most late night snacking is of the carb variety - chips, popcorn, etc., - this rule will automatically stop that habit and therefore you cut back on calories.

Now someone will come in and say this is a valid theory, it works for them, etc., and will have studies and links to back it up. Such is the joy of the internet.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's basically BS.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Um. No.
  • carissaharmon
    Options
    I eat my carbs when I feel like it except after 6pm. I try to stay away from them, but I still eat the healthy carbs for my exercising. (:
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't go by any of those rules. It doesn't matter when you eat what throughout the day, it all adds up. If you eat before falling asleep, you might just have a stomach ache or nightmares. Nothing detrimental is going to happen.
  • dogetta
    dogetta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've heard of no starchy carbs in the evening but to answer your question I even have fruit in the evening. So no I would not go by that.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have white rice with practically every other dinner, usually limited it to 1 cup, and still lost 39 lbs (lost some before starting mfp). Everything in moderation.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Today I saw a poster on the gym wall that says in bold "NO CARBS AFTER LUNCH!" No description or reason why. :huh:
    Who goes by this rule? And if so why or why not?
    Just curious! :smile:

Ask your gym they put it up.

No, because I'm asking YOU guys if you would go by this... not my gym!

You talkin to me?

Heeeeellllllll no. I'll eat carbs whenever I damn well please. Your gym wants you to eat a crappy dinner and snacks. You should pass on that advice
  • rbregstone
    rbregstone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating carbs after 5pm and I dropped 6-7 lbs. it works!
  • AnnDenny
    AnnDenny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your answers!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Erm...no. This is retarded in ways that I can barely comprehend. Someone make sure to tell all of the IF guys who are doing quite well that they are doing it wrong, since they are obviously eating carbs after lunchtime. Oh yeah...and pretty much every other strength athlete in the world.

The problem with this kind of thing is that it creates seeds of bull**** within the minds of people who may just casually glimpse the poster, but have little to no real knowledge of nutrition on any level, let alone their own individual needs. Ya' know...impressionable sheep, for lack of a nicer way to put it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    It's basically BS.

in this case, BS is short for Bro Science
  • therayeraye
    therayeraye Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know Bob Harper from the biggest loser advocates no carbs after lunch. He says something about lean and green in the evening. I haven't really looked into it.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    ehhh, I'll stick with the Wurtmans on this. I like carbs at night.

http://wurtmanlab.mit.edu/static/pdf/649.pdf
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No White After Labor Day!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I know Bob Harper from the biggest loser advocates no carbs after lunch. He says something about lean and green in the evening. I haven't really looked into it.

If this is true, someone should tell that tool that 'green' most often includes carbs...oh, and lean is used to indicate a lack of fat content, not carbs.
  • AnnDenny
    AnnDenny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Erm...no. This is retarded in ways that I can barely comprehend. Someone make sure to tell all of the IF guys who are doing quite well that they are doing it wrong, since they are obviously eating carbs after lunchtime. Oh yeah...and pretty much every other strength athlete in the world.

The problem with this kind of thing is that it creates seeds of bull**** within the minds of people who may just casually glimpse the poster, but have little to no real knowledge of nutrition on any level, let alone their own individual needs. Ya' know...impressionable sheep, for lack of a nicer way to put it.

Good comment! Thanks lol
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No White After Labor Day!

That's shoes, silly!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    That would mean, no more evening beers, or ice cream, or pizza, or PB&J sammiches. Ever! Yea. No.