scared of potatoes,noodles and rice

Should I be scared of potatoes,noodles and rice. I do use brown rice. These carbs. I have heard it takes them longer to break up and they store fat. Do ya eat these?

Replies

• SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    I eat brown rice, brown pasta and boiled potatoes quite regularly. On average I'd say I have brown rice 2-3 times a week, brown pasta once a week and the boiled potatoes 1-2 times a week.

I've lost quite a bit of weight and still losing, so in my experience it's fine to eat them in moderation (as with most things).
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I can't eat pasta of any kind - my ulcerative colitis hates it. I still have potatoes or rice (white basmati) once per week. I do better if I minimize grains/starches in my diet.
  • anjiemr
    anjiemr Posts: 41 Member
    Hi. I use steamed cauliflower in place of rice. Instead of mashing as potatoes I would lightly blend until the steamed cauli breaks up into small pieces and it looks like rice. I will put a stir-fry over it or whatever else you would do with rice. Add whatever seasonings to it you enjoy.
    Hope you try it...it's healthier and less calories/carbs.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    I eat them all aslo. The only one I don't touch anymore is macaroni noodles. there are 450 calories in a cup. So much more than I knew. I now try to eat more whole wheat items and brown rice for the health benefits. All in moderation. There are no bad foods, well okay pop tarts are kind of useless.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Yes moderation is the key. Rice, potatoes and pastas are starchy carbs which get broken down quickly and converted to sugars if you are not burning them off. I think the biggest problem people have with these is over-eating. A serving of pasta should be 1/2 cup, not a full plateful.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    I eat EVERYTHING (well, almost everything) but it's all about portion size. These foods are all part of a balanced, healthy diet. Don't be afraid... just watch how much of any one food that you eat. I even ate ice cream last night, but it was one of those little single serving size Ben & Jerry's... 200 calories of ambrosia! Not something I'd eat every day, but a small amount once is a while is just fine! If someone told me I could never eat potatoes or noodles or rice again I would be one very unhappy camper!
  • marcuscross104
    marcuscross104 Posts: 57 Member
    barring any kind of food allergies, you don't have to fear any kind of food {IMO}. Just accurately {as much as possible} count those calories!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I eat potatoes, pasta and/or rice daily. White stuff, too. They're not scary.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member

Same
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Eaten within a nutrient rich and hypo caloric diet you should not fear these foods.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    I usually eat at least one these, at least once a day. They are food staples and I'm not about to give them up. 50lbs lost so far, they've not done me any harm.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    No need to be scared of, or restrict, any foods or food groups unless you have a medical reason to do so or if they are trigger foods.
  • Drlmm11
    Drlmm11 Posts: 7 Member
    They are a trigger food for me. I do believe in eating them in moderation just not for me. I do eat sweet potatoes though.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Agree with the above.... No reason to fear any of them as long as you can fit them into your caloric intake... I tend to stick to brown rice and whole wheat pasta's these days but do still it the white ones when I want them.... Best of Luck to you....
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Well, when I eat pasta, it has to be after I've worked out at the gym ...... because a small portion won't do ...... I want BOWLS of the stuff :laugh:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member

Same
    Ditto.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Everything in moderation.
  • Have you tried rice pastas or corn or quinoa noodles? I have to follow a strict gluten free diet but there are a lot of quality pastas that are gluten free that might not irritate your UC.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I eat bread nearly every day, (white) pasta & potatoes several times a week and white rice every now and again, and I've had no trouble losing fat. Unless you have a specific medical issue with them, or they trigger you to overeat for some reason, then just fit them into your calorie/macroutrient goals and don't worry about them.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    They don't scare me, but I don't eat most of those things. I do eat sweet potatoes.

I've struggled with various health issues, and found I'm a whole lot healthier and happier not eating grains. So yeah, they don't scare me, nor do I believe they will make me fat.

It's not a must that one cuts out those things in order to lose fat. Plenty of people have had no trouble losing fat and eating grains and starches.