scared of potatoes,noodles and rice

Replies

• RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    I eat them pretty regularly - but I generally go with whole wheat bread and pasta and brown rice. I prefer them though, generally, so it's not like I'm giving anything up. As long as you keep track of your portions, and can fit it into your calorie allowance or macros, you should be fine!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I enjoy whole wheat couscous, pasta and brown rice in moderation and I'm almost at goal but every few months I go to my favorite Italian BYOB and eat a huge plate of the best freshest most garlicky linguine and clam sauce before which I eat a large fresh seafood salad!!!!!!! I blow my calorie count all to heck but oh well.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Should I be scared of potatoes,noodles and rice. I do use brown rice. These carbs. I have heard it takes them longer to break up and they store fat. Do ya eat these?

No, if you were i'd seek professional help. The actual differences between brown rice and white rice, white/whole wheat bread etc aren't as big as you're lead to believe
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I lost a considerable amount of weight whilst still eating carbs but now I am at a point where I am looking to tone up and lose my last 5-10lbs I am cutting down on them.
    I no longer eat pasta (If I do it's a once a month type scenario) and I have switched to brown rice, couscous and sweet potatoes as they are better for you than the white alternatives.
    You do not have to cut out carbs, they are good for you and particularly if you exercise they will help give you the energy you need to power through.
    It's about making the right carb choices, not cutting them out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    No need to be scared of, or restrict, any foods or food groups unless you have a medical reason to do so or if they are trigger foods.

This.

I eat all of those things with regularity.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    You should be scared of psychopaths and drunk drivers. Carbs are benign.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    I eat them all. I do eat brown rice instead of white rice and I prefer sweet potatoes to white, but that's because I can eat them plain and I like too much butter and salt on white potatoes. Make sure you're eating protein and add bulk to your meal with veggies and you'll do great. Kudos to you for getting healthier.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Show me on the doll where the potato touched you.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    I eat brown rice and whole wheat pastas as well as other whole grains (quinoa, barley, etc.) I don't really eat potatoes but it isn't because I think they are bad, it is simply because all the ways I like them prepared have a lot of added calories and fat (mashed potatoes, fries, even roasted with butter). I will eat sweet potatoes, though. All that said, I eat everything in moderation measuring/weighing everything and only eating one serving a day.
  • I'm going to repost something I put on another thread because it seems relevant...

Just my 2 cents... for me.. when I have "bad carbs" (white bread, white rice, white pasta etc) with supper I am almost always up a pound or two in the morning. Think of it this way, carbs are "sugar energy" meant to help you run around and do stuff.. what are you doing after dinner? Sitting on the couch? Do you really need that sugar burst to get you going at that point? Nope... and if you don't use it up where does it go? ... you guessed it... fat stores for the next time you need a boost. I don't worry about carbs in pure vegetables though and that doesn't seem to matter and in the first half of the day whole grain bread, pasta and brown rice are fine.. even good!)

Since I've switched up my suppers to be clean lean protein and vegetables, I'm losing an extra 1/2 lb a day!!! No joke.. and I'm 45 yrs old! I put the majority of my carbs in the morning or at lunch but I stick with whole grains and unprocessed.
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    I eat potatoes, pasta and/or rice daily. White stuff, too. They're not scary.

I agree. I eat rice almost every day. As an Asian it's pretty much compulsory :laugh:
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    If I wasn't diabetic, I would eat way more pasta and potato's and so so on rice. (never been a big fan of rice over all)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I'm going to repost something I put on another thread because it seems relevant...

Just my 2 cents... for me.. when I have "bad carbs" (white bread, white rice, white pasta etc) with supper I am almost always up a pound or two in the morning. Think of it this way, carbs are "sugar energy" meant to help you run around and do stuff.. what are you doing after dinner? Sitting on the couch? Do you really need that sugar burst to get you going at that point? Nope... and if you don't use it up where does it go? ... you guessed it... fat stores for the next time you need a boost. I don't worry about carbs in pure vegetables though and that doesn't seem to matter and in the first half of the day whole grain bread, pasta and brown rice are fine.. even good!)

Since I've switched up my suppers to be clean lean protein and vegetables, I'm losing an extra 1/2 lb a day!!! No joke.. and I'm 45 yrs old! I put the majority of my carbs in the morning or at lunch but I stick with whole grains and unprocessed.

I'm curious what you're the coach of and how familiar you are with DNL in humans
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Everything in moderation. I used to be scared of mac and cheese but now I measure out my portion, and I bulk it up with peas so that it looks like a bigger portion and I'm still getting my veggies in there too! :)
  • i eat white rice almost every day and i get told i could even gain some weight...
  • Rottolia
    Rottolia Posts: 1 Member
    As long as you count calories, you can eat anything you want and still lose weight
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    As others have already said, there is nothing to be scared of. Just measure your portions and see that it fits into your overall food intake for the day. My personal choice is to eat whole grains for bread and pasta, brown rice, both regular and sweet potatoes. I have one or more portions each day and lost my goal plus more and have continued to maintain. It's all about balance between your intake and exercise.

All the best to you!
  • Ahhh the carb myth. If you have diabetes then watch your carb intake. I eat a starch with every meal (either brown rice or potatoes) and I have lost 63 pounds. Your body needs these types of foods for certain processes to happen. I tried the whole Atkins thing years ago and gained all the weight back because I love potatoes. Did you know that a potato with the skin has half of your daily potassium? That is a hard one to get. That is about four times what is in a banana. The calories are not as bad as you think too. Just try to bake, or boil them. Eat them in moderation and enjoy. If you are looking for a balanced, healthy diet I suggest checking out this webpage. It is full of helpful info! http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    It all depends on an individual's personal needs. Diabetics and those that are insulin resistant, need to restrict their starchy carbs and sugars. Those who can't eat certain foods in moderation, should probably stay away from them.
    Some people have sensitivities to wheat, and/or glutens, even if they haven't been diagnosed with Celiac disease, and find their various symptoms go away if they stay away from them.

If you find yourself having a hard time losing weight, even tho you are staying under goal, and you eat a high amount of carbs, then you might try switching out some carbs for more proteins and healthy fats.
    If you have no problems with starchy carbs and are staying within your goals and losing at a reasonable rate, then carry on with what you are doing. If it aint broke, don't fix it. But if it is broke, try something different until you find what works for you.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Everything in moderation and portion control

As long as its in your calories and targets.....why not?