Your Favorite Salad Dressing

Options
zonah
zonah Posts: 216 Member
I'm looking for some healthy salad dressing options. I'm wondering if you could give me suggestions of dressings you like on your salads. Thanks

Replies

• emilymoss456
    Options
    my all time favorite is litehouse pear gorgonzola vinaigrette dressing! 50 calories per serving and soooo tasty!
  • mellyp0ps
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar and olive oil <3
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    olive oil and vinegar! :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How about my homemade version: Lemon juice, rice vinegar and olive oil - all natural
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Newmans Own - Lite Sesame Ginger. 35 calories in 2 Tbsp.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar and olive oil <3

This
  • Sorashi
    Options
    Just olive oil and apple vinegar. And I add a little of modena balsamic vinegar because it's not the healthies but it's delicious.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I don't know about healthy, but I always top my at-home salads with Good Seasons Italian that you mix yourself in their cruet. I also use creamy french for dipping crudite.

To make your salads more interesting, consider making your own baked croutons.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Are you just looking for light dressings? Fresh lemon juice and a bit of EVOO, balsamic vinegar and EVOO, red wine vinegar and EVOO, etc. I've also done the various juices/vinegars with avocado oil in place of EVOO. Walnut oil is also nice. Add herbs for more variety/flavor.

I also make creamy dressings using homemade mayo, coconut milk or cream, fresh herbs, etc.
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    Basil Vinaigrette from the Rebar Modern Food Cookbook

2 garlic cloves
    1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 1/2 ounces fresh basil leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons cracked pepper
    1 cup olive oil (I usually use a bit less to make it lower calorie)

Combine all of the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a food processor (I use a blender and that works just as well, I’ve found.) and blend. Slowly add olive oil in a slow, thin stream until thick and creamy.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love light thousand island dressing :) 20 cal/ tbsp
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Land o Lakes 2% Cottage Cheese W/Sea Salt. Throw a .25 cup of that on your salad and its only 45 calories and 125mg of sodium
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    They all sound good. Does anyone know of a store bought no oil salad dressing?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Haven't purchased a store bought salad dressing in 30 years but generally the ones without oil are diet industry darlings perpetuating the myth that fat is somehow bad and will make people fat. FYI if your eating salad on it's own, fat facilitates absorption of some of the nutrients in those greens your eating.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinach salad with strawberry poppyseed salad dressing. I sometimes cut up the strawberries and add the dressing but lately i've been adding the strawberries to the dressing & mixing it up - it turns pink it's so so pretty.

Ingredients:
    Low fat mayo
    Tbsp sugar or less
    Olive oil
    Poppeyseeds
    Water
    Some greek yoghurt or plain yogurt
    Apple cider vinegar
    Strawberries
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is my all time favorite salad!!!

Strawberry and Roasted Chickpea Salad with a Cinnamon Vinaigrette

8 cups mixed baby greens
    1 batch Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas (see below) or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups strawberries, halved
    1/4 cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    2 tbsp lime or lemon juice (I used 1 lime)
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    pinch salt
    4 drops stevia, or your favourite sweetener, to taste
    4 tsp hazelnut oil, or your oil of choice

1. Begin by making the pumpkin roasted chickpeas if you haven’t already (see below).

2. Make your dressing by combining the vinegar, lime juice, mustard, cinnamon, ginger, salt and stevia. Whisk in the oil slowly to create an emulsified dressing. Set aside until serving.

3. Plate the lettuce, top with the chickpeas, strawberries, mint and almonds. Drizzle with the dressing.

Serves 2-4.
  • 89thAlice
    89thAlice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually use yuzu ponzu. Its a Japanese dressing (and no oil). It should be available at an asian supermarket or a store that specializes in Japanese foods.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I like ginger dressing and ceaser dressing a lot. Not the lightest or anything but don't use that much and salad dressings aren't that terrible.
  • lilacstars
    Options
    I actually like using hummus or an avocado as my 'dressing'. It doesn't work for all types of salads for me, though.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinegar (1/4 cup)
    thyme (1 tsp)
    rosemary (1 tsp)
    drizzle
    will keep for about a week

1 part real mayo
    3 parts yogurt
    copious amounts of dill, chives, garlic powder, and some paprika (add in bits to taste)

I don't buy dressing either. I haven't in so long that the other day when I was feeling lazy and I did, my kids wouldn't eat it (though, they will eat balsamic vinegar).