1st time mommy!

Options
Ok soooo I did my baby registry last weekend. I wasn't real sure what all I was going to need so I just scanned a bunch of random stuff. Any of you mommies out there have any suggestions on things that one might not think they would need but would highly reccommend?

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Ok soooo I did my baby registry last weekend. I wasn't real sure what all I was going to need so I just scanned a bunch of random stuff. Any of you mommies out there have any suggestions on things that one might not think they would need but would highly reccommend?

Awwwwwwwww...Congrats! I wouldn't get a diaper genie. I had one but we never used it. Also, make sure you get a GOOD breast pump if you are nursing. Oh, and the nipple cream is a GODSEND! LOL! When are you due?
  • Skittlez_
    Options

Awwwwwwwww...Congrats! I wouldn't get a diaper genie. I had one but we never used it. Also, make sure you get a GOOD breast pump if you are nursing. Oh, and the nipple cream is a GODSEND! LOL! When are you due?

Luckily my health insurance covers up to a 500.00 breast pump. So I was really stoked about that. I didnt even think about nipple cream. Ahhh there is sooo much I don't know. I almost bought a diaper genie. I won't now. Thank you!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    A baby swing. My daughter was practically raised by her baby swing.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most of it you don't need. I will get you wine....you will need that!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I would not get a bassinet, they are a waste IMO. There is a lot of "stuff" out there that you will more than likely never need. With my youngest the swing was the most important thing EVER ( she wouldn't sleep anywhere else). I agree with PP a diaper genie is a waste.
  • amandapye78
    Options

yes wine is important
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I would not get a bassinet, they are a waste IMO.

Not for me, my daughter refused to sleep in her own room until she was about 7 months old so slept in her bassinet beside my bed.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

"mommy drinks because you cry" lol
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A baby swing. My daughter was practically raised by her baby swing.
    This... was well worth it. We used to say "it stops the evil singing, or it starts swinging" lol
  • amandapye78
    Options

Not for me, my daughter refused to sleep in her own room until she was about 7 months old so slept in her bassinet beside my bed.

My kids would not sleep in it at all. My older two liked the crib best and my youngest would sleep no where but the car seat or swing.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

you should have just put the baby swing beside the bed.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I did not register for a diaper genie, but a friend got us one anyway...we used it consistently. Another item we didn't register for but got a ton of use from: the Fisher-Price infant-to-toddler rocker, it's $40 on Amazon.

Instead of a bassinet, consider a Pack-n-Play. They come with a removable bassinet but more importantly you can fold it up to use as a crib/bed when travelling and they are a safe place (assuming there aren't too many toys in it) to put an older infant/toddler when you really need 5-10 minutes of alone time. Like to use the bathroom.

Assuming you are getting the infant carrier type car seat, consider getting extra bases for it. We put one in each of our cars plus one for the grandparents. They're about $20 each, but I've seen too many parents hassling with removing a car seat from one car to stow it at day care for the day so the other parent can install it in their car later. Getting those seats tight and secure can be a challenge, and it wasn't worth the cost of the extra seat(s), so we always bought sets.
  • Skittlez_
    Options

I love this idea! You know me wayyy to well! ♥
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Diapers, wipes, onsies and the sleeper sacks...... that is really ALL you need. a swing or a bouncer is good to have, and if you use bottles, the Dr Brown's bottles are really good at keeping burps down, kinda hard to clean, but I loved them. And I second that a diaper genie is a waste. Had one, used it for like 5 diapers......
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    I already have a stroller, crib, walker, swing, pack n play, high chair and a friend bought us a bassinet this weekend. So I think I have the big stuff covered. Im just worried about smaller things that I should ask for that might not cross the normal, never had a baby mommys mind =)
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    Diapers, wipes, onsies and the sleeper sacks...... that is really ALL you need. a swing or a bouncer is good to have, and if you use bottles, the Dr Brown's bottles are really good at keeping burps down, kinda hard to clean, but I loved them. And I second that a diaper genie is a waste. Had one, used it for like 5 diapers......

Gale I can't stop laughing everytime I see your profile pic =)
  • Skittlez_
    Options

"mommy drinks because you cry" lol

I'm already stock piling a list of new drinks I wanna try as soon as its safe =) Im just glad baby will be here in time for me to enjoy a couple summer shandys on my deck this summer.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i'm not a mommy. i am a daddy.

we never used a changing table. we used a spot on the floor, or the top shelf of the pack n' play.

newborns don't seem to need a ton of extras. i mean, you feed them, you "play" and they sleep. one thing we did like was the car seat/stoller "travel system" where the car seat hooks into the stoller until they are old enough to sit in it without it.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Muslin cloths and onesies (in the UK we call them babygro's). My daughter lived in these for at least the first 6 months. Much more comfy than trying to stuff them into "proper" clothes. Muslin cloths cos they sick up ALL the time.

You seem to have everything else covered and you'll just end up cluttering your house up with stuff you don't need!

I heard diaper genies SMELL BAD. What's wrong with a regular bin?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Most of the stuff is fluff that you may or may not use... some infants like bouncers over swings too... But I do agree with the pack n play... after a while you can turn that thing into a baby ball pit.. :happy:

The things that I got use of, was the swing, little infant/toddler chair that was similar to a bouncer, breast pump (didn't need the nipple cream often but I did and use the breast pads), bottles, changing table, and the pack n play (which I think we actually travelled with it once but we used it as a bassinet for a few months) and of course the car seat and stroller.