1st time mommy!

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Have you got a sling? I got a connecta with my 2nd baby and it was really helpful as she was a clingy baby. I also found our baby bath really good, it had a sloped bit with head support and was big enough to last my son until he was about 2 - and he's a tall boy.

Most baby things are a waste of money though! One of the best things we got was a jumperoo, mine loved it. My duaghter used it from about 3 months.

My son outgrew the Moses basket - I guess that's what you call a bassinet - at 6 weeks. Luckily my parents had borrowed it.

A good pram is worthwhile, we all it a travel system when you can attach the car seat, the carrycot, and the seat. We had an I candy apple which luckily converted to a tandem as my kids are 22 months apart.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Medela Lanolin saved me and I only needed one tube... it lasts forever. We loved the Tommy Tippee bottles and were easy for LO to hold once he got to that point. Diapers! Great when you don't have to buy them... although, we got a lot of different brands. Ended up taking them back to Walmart (bc they take anything back without a receipt) and bought Pampers, which were the only ones that didn't leak with our little boy. We also really used the heck out of the Gerber cloth diapers (not as diapers, but as pads on changing stations, rags, etc- also great for dusting with- lol!)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Cloth diapers.
    They make excellent spit up rags.
    Also, I am assuming you are married but, let your husband try to pick out a somewhat "Manly" diaper bag.
    Chances are, when you two are together, he will be acting the part of pack mule.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most of it you don't need. I will get you wine....you will need that!

I love this idea! You know me wayyy to well! ♥

just remember to pump and dump my love.
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    i'm not a mommy. i am a daddy.

we never used a changing table. we used a spot on the floor, or the top shelf of the pack n' play.

newborns don't seem to need a ton of extras. i mean, you feed them, you "play" and they sleep. one thing we did like was the car seat/stoller "travel system" where the car seat hooks into the stoller until they are old enough to sit in it without it.

The stroller I bought is one of those. I was driving it around my living room the other day. Think turns like a champ.
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    Cloth diapers (for burp rags), the spoons that turn white if the baby food is too hot, a baby blind for the car, nail clippers, a thermometer, tons of onsies, a baby bath, bibs, a brush and comb set. I will be a gram in April and was amazed at all the new stuff out! My thirs son was born 13 years ago. Remember when you bring the baby home, things will get easier. It's overwhelming at first but you will get into a routine.
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    Most of the stuff is fluff that you may or may not use... some infants like bouncers over swings too... But I do agree with the pack n play... after a while you can turn that thing into a baby ball pit.. :happy:

The things that I got use of, was the swing, little infant/toddler chair that was similar to a bouncer, breast pump (didn't need the nipple cream often but I did and use the breast pads), bottles, changing table, and the pack n play (which I think we actually travelled with it once but we used it as a bassinet for a few months) and of course the car seat and stroller.

Yea I seen the baby ball pit on pinterest. I need one of those for myself ;)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pack and play, it was so nice to just fold one of those up and set up wherever for the baby to sleep in.
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    Cloth diapers.
    They make excellent spit up rags.
    Also, I am assuming you are married but, let your husband try to pick out a somewhat "Manly" diaper bag.
    Chances are, when you two are together, he will be acting the part of pack mule.

Hahaha funny you say this. Im actually having a friend buy my diaper bag but I told her to make sure it was man friendly.
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    Honestly, most of it you don't need. I will get you wine....you will need that!

I love this idea! You know me wayyy to well! ♥

just remember to pump and dump my love.

Oh you have no idea where my mind just went. Wait Im sure you do. Love you!
  • MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    first off congrats!!!! You can never have too many diapers steer clear of new born diapers, new born clothes! lots of onsies in all sizes..i didn't realize how much I would use those! burp clothes...mostly white ones bc lets face it the pretty ones wont stay pretty long LOL wipes..LOTS of wipes! pack in play was very helpful with both of mine, a good monitor, if you are breast feeding then a good best pump if you are not don't over load of bottles bc your child will have a preference on nipple types and the ones my son liked a few years later was not the brand my daughter liked(go figure) wait to see what type nipples the baby likes. my son liked his swing but my daughter was more of a bouncer baby...that's kind of a hit or miss with babies I think
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    Cloth diapers (for burp rags), the spoons that turn white if the baby food is too hot, a baby blind for the car, nail clippers, a thermometer, tons of onsies, a baby bath, bibs, a brush and comb set. I will be a gram in April and was amazed at all the new stuff out! My thirs son was born 13 years ago. Remember when you bring the baby home, things will get easier. It's overwhelming at first but you will get into a routine.

Yea my SO has a 7 year old and he was surprised by all the new baby stuff. He kept telling me hes got this int he bag with what we will need etc but when we got there and started looking I think he got a lil overwhelmed haha.
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the pack n play was the best for travelling and a diaper genie was the best thing ever!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    They have lists for you to look at and make sure you get. Alot of the stuff on their is not needed but heres my must haves as I had my first (and only...now)

1. Bottle Warmer (if you are not breast feeding its amazing. you NEVER want to put a bottle in the microwave because it heats uneven and can burn baby)
    2. Diaper Genie. ( it can get expensive for the refills but stops the smell so it's so worth it!)
    3. Wipe warmer. (no one likes a cold wipe on their bottom!)

Hope it helped! Congrats!! :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've got all the basics covered, really.

Make sure you've got a camera - you are going to want to capture so many things. And congratulations!
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the pack n play was the best for travelling and a diaper genie was the best thing ever! WE use ours all the time. Just don't buy the expensive refill cartridges. Use a drawstring garbage kitchen bag around the cartridge that came with it. WAY CHEAPER. When my son is done with it I am going to keep it for the kitty litter!
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If your breastfeeding the Boppy Pillow is the best thing on the planet!
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that a diaper genie is a waste of money. As far as swings/bouncy seats and the like go, my oldest wouldn't stay in either, he screamed if I put him in it. But Nr. 2 loved the bouncy seat...for about 2 months LOL

We had a bassinet with the second one and he was in it (in our room) until he slept through the night. It was great, because that way we didn't have to worry about him waking up big brother (only 15 months at the time and sleeping in his own room). A pack-and-play is great especially after they outgrow the bassinet.

As far as nursing/pumping goes, I only used Lansinoh bags for milk storage and I LOVED them. I don't even know what else is out there, it's the only kind I tried. And I did have a double electric pump, but I also had a manual one, which worked great for taking to work or other places.

One thing I forgot... BOPPY PILLOW!!! I was not going to get one, because I thought they were kind of expenisive, but I found one at a consignment sale for $8 and I STILL use it every day. Best "investment" ever!

The other thing has nothing to do with baby registries, but check your area for consignment sales. They are great for getting anything baby for much cheaper, because it is used. There are various different ones that are twice a year for summer/winter stuff. In our area we have "Here We Grow Again" (my personal favorite), "Kids Closet Connection", "Just Between Friends", and "Rhea Lana". Those are the ones I have been to, but there are probably more out there.

I don't know how you feel about pacifiers, but neither one of ours wanted one (no matter what brand). We ended up with a ton of different ones, because people bought them, but we didn't really use them.
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    first off congrats!!!! You can never have too many diapers steer clear of new born diapers, new born clothes! lots of onsies in all sizes..i didn't realize how much I would use those! burp clothes...mostly white ones bc lets face it the pretty ones wont stay pretty long LOL wipes..LOTS of wipes! pack in play was very helpful with both of mine, a good monitor, if you are breast feeding then a good best pump if you are not don't over load of bottles bc your child will have a preference on nipple types and the ones my son liked a few years later was not the brand my daughter liked(go figure) wait to see what type nipples the baby likes. my son liked his swing but my daughter was more of a bouncer baby...that's kind of a hit or miss with babies I think

Thank you for the congrats! I am sooo sooo excited!

Luckily I have a ton of hand me down newborn and 0-3 month clothing. I did buy a few outfits myself but Im not buying anymore unless I need them. Its crazy how much baby stuff people want to just give away haha.
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love my diaper genie. Maybe I would go for a different brand, but the concept is great.