Bench Press.... are they idiots, or am I???

Options
Lately I've been paying attention to some of the "regulars" at the gym while they are lifting. I see a lot of them doing the whole routine where they bounce the bench press off their chest and don't fully extend their arms.....

Now, I've always been under the impression that doing this is basically worthless and a waste of time. I was taught to slowly bring the bar to your chest, then extend until your arms are locked out, then repeat. Basically the same routine for every other lift I do as well. I see more and more people doing it the way I mentioned earlier (without full extension). I've also noticed that with this whole new "crossfit craze", this is basically the "new way" to lift.

So I guess my question is......are they the idiots, or am I? I am so confused

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I know nothing about crossfit.

If they are bouncing it off their chest, they are doing it wrong and asking to crack their sternum. Full lockout should also always be done in order to get the full benefit of the exercise. And yes, your negative rep should be slower than your positive rep, but you should explode upwards on the positive.

ETA: But then again, it's been forever since I've lifted regularly. I'm sure someone else here can answer more accurately.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    They're idiots.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Stick to full ROM. They might be working on a particular sticking point, or they might just be idiots.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    They are trying to boost their own ego by lifting heavier weights than they can safely do with strict form.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I train explosion one day a week ,so it could just be guys doing that...I'm sure I "look" like I'm bouncing it, but I'm doing something for 8 reps that I can do for about 20 controlled.

Some guys you'll see doing little baby reps, and this can be to concentrate on the chest, but usually there it's focussing on about 1/4 off chest to 3/4 extended.

More than likely they just don't know wtf they are doing or have weak shoulders/tris that they're trying to baby because they don't like it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    They are trying to boost their own ego by lifting heavier weights than they can safely do with strict form.

Which is the absolute worst thing you can do.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for all of 5 seconds....but even I think THEY are the idiots...sounds rather dangerous.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been paying attention to some of the "regulars" at the gym while they are lifting. I see a lot of them doing the whole routine where they bounce the bench press off their chest and don't fully extend their arms.....

Now, I've always been under the impression that doing this is basically worthless and a waste of time. I was taught to slowly bring the bar to your chest, then extend until your arms are locked out, then repeat. Basically the same routine for every other lift I do as well. I see more and more people doing it the way I mentioned earlier (without full extension). I've also noticed that with this whole new "crossfit craze", this is basically the "new way" to lift.

So I guess my question is......are they the idiots, or am I? I am so confused

They are idiots. You are probably not, but I can't say for certain ;)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    TUT in the fact that you want the muscle under tension at all times - bouncing is not controlled though

and locking out I've heard strains your joints more. I don't have any scientific articals or what have you - I just follow it
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I try to count mine out, 1 second up, 1 second down, 1 second pause at the top and the bottom.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    they think their GODS,,, and they probably are.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    What I have found works best for me is to put four 45's on each side, then just sort of walk around the bench a lot and stretch. Then once someome I want to impress comes by, I offload the 45's grunting about how tired and torn up I am.

Form and control mean nothing. You have to look impressive. All that counts.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I try to count mine out, 1 second up, 1 second down, 1 second pause at the top and the bottom.

is this 1 . . . 2 . . . 3? or 1 . . . 1 . . . 1?
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym, I'd see stuff like that all the time. However, I couldn't argue with the results! Here I was an overweight middle-aged lady using proper form and there they were buff young men! I figured that dumbell swinging and poor form was getting them somewhere!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than weight. I see guys doing curls by rocking their entire upper body to get the weight up. Chest boucnes to presses are bad. So many injuries from bad form. Correctly done, weights turn out to be much lighter.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

doesn't matter?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than weight.

sometimes rules have to be broken for the sake of progress though.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    They're idiots but people have been doing this for a long time really doesn't have anything to do with crossfit in my opinion.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're benching for (powerlifting or general)
    but I'd say don't bounce and you don't have to extend all the way if you have long *kitten* arms.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

doesn't matter?

I was going to be surprised if you could count to 3 is all. Sheesh! No need to get pissy.