Bench Press.... are they idiots, or am I???

Options

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    The athletes they showed benching at the NFL combine were doing it the way you described. I've always thought it was cheating. I know if you are in a bench press competition, you will not receive credit for the lift if you bounce it off your chest.

I guess if bouncing off your chest to get a few more reps was the difference between being a 1st round NFL pick or a 3rd round pick, (or the 6th round and not being drafted), it's good form.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Do what works for you. If you feel it and you see progress, then keep doing what you're doing. But if you're curious about form, I'd go with reading articles or fitness books over looking at what other people are doing.

But then again, I work out at the Planet Fitness where no one knows what they're doing.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting requires the bar to touch the chest and pause visibly before lifting, with extension to lock out. I have always pretty much stuck with that. Getting the bar in motion off of the bottom is tough and what the bounce does is use the compression of your chest to get it going again off of the bottom.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I agree bouncing serves no purpose, but if your trying to stimulate your pecs why would someone have to lockout? If I am not at a meet, there is no reason to lockout. I want to keep the muscle under tension and not let it rest.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't bounce off my chest....that woudld severly smoosh a boob...not cool!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i could probably bench more if i used a spotter but there is nothing that keeps your concentration with the slight fear of crushing your throat/chest

i lift off the bench rest, come down as fast AND steadily as i can and then push up as fast AND steadily as I can. i will do this from 5-15 reps depending on where i am in my workout.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    bouncing serves no purpose

but not fully extending keeps tension on the chest, the last 1/3 of the motion is a lot of tricep - you may not believe any of this but try it for yourself and if it feels good then maybe keep doing it - I get a very good pump doing this. I get much more annoyed with people who dont drop down to their chest like they are doing board presses without a board, but to each their own
  • Rottnme
    Options
    I agree bouncing serves no purpose, but if your trying to stimulate your pecs why would someone have to lockout? If I am not at a meet, there is no reason to lockout. I want to keep the muscle under tension and not let it rest.

This depends on what one is trying to achieve. Lockout deals quite a bit with the transition of force from the pecs to areas of the shoulders and tricpes and is also dependent on form and position of the bar relative to body (think arched back vs. flat back) Each has a place, it's up to the lifter to decide what they are tryingto acheive. IMO, bouncing is trying to lift too much. I prefer form and control vs slop and brute force.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
  • Rottnme
    Options
    I get much more annoyed with people who dont drop down to their chest like they are doing board presses without a board, but to each their own

This can serve a pourpose too. The competitive lifters I used to train with would often practice lockouts with high reps using lower weight.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    NFL Combine is about trying to show off... Not guys trying to safely execute a workout! Best chest work out is too get away from the bar and get two dumbbells and push those... You isolate, you can switch to flies or pullovers and keep going with variety and there is no cheating... Safer with or without a spotter... Split grip machines work as well such as the Total Gym.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Let me guess: this guy claims to be 100% natural.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Let me guess: this guy claims to be 100% natural.

I have no idea - this thread just reminded me of the video I'd seen pass by on Facebook recently.
  • moluvmoe
    Options
    TO give them the benefit of the doubt....the bouncing is wrong but if their arms are real short then what may look like a short rep might very well be a lockout!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

This. Staying in the bottom half of the bench range is pretty common for a lot of bodybuilders (I can't access youtube but off the top of my head Ronnie Coleman does this) as it maximizes time under tension for your chest. If you're training for strength though and using it as a compound movement, it's probably better to go wtih full ROM. While touch and go is fine, and paused reps really only matter for meets, full on bouncing can be dangerous.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Call me silly, but bouncing a bunch of weight off my chest sounds rather... uncomfortable...????
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What I have found works best for me is to put four 45's on each side, then just sort of walk around the bench a lot and stretch. Then once someome I want to impress comes by, I offload the 45's grunting about how tired and torn up I am.

Form and control mean nothing. You have to look impressive. All that counts.

Word. I packed on about 15 lbs using this method. And a lot of donuts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Stick to full ROM. They might be working on a particular sticking point, or they might just be idiots.

^^yep
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Crazy thought - they may have found that which works for them?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been paying attention to some of the "regulars" at the gym while they are lifting. I see a lot of them doing the whole routine where they bounce the bench press off their chest and don't fully extend their arms.....

Now, I've always been under the impression that doing this is basically worthless and a waste of time. I was taught to slowly bring the bar to your chest, then extend until your arms are locked out, then repeat. Basically the same routine for every other lift I do as well. I see more and more people doing it the way I mentioned earlier (without full extension). I've also noticed that with this whole new "crossfit craze", this is basically the "new way" to lift.

So I guess my question is......are they the idiots, or am I? I am so confused

Do it like this.
    |
    |
    |
    \/
    M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif