Can I do a heavy lifting program at home instead of a gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Also... I'm not aware of any actual HEAVY lifting programs that come on DVD.

Beachbody has brought out a programme called Body Beast - it is HEAVY lifting - they have two versions - a lighter and a real heavy one......

btw - I am NOT a beachbody coach - but know a few people doing the programme and loving it :-)

Heavy Lifting really has nothing to do with how much the weight you are using weighs. If your max 5X5 bench press is 500 pounds then doing 5 sets of 5 with 500 pounds is "heavy" lifting for you. Grabbing 250 and doing 48 reps would not be even though 250 is heavy. You could also be doing a "heavy lifting" program and only using 80 pounds. Any DVD workout is NOT a heavy lifting program.

Why can't a dvd program be for heavy lifting?

I'm not being awkward I just want to understand what you're saying.

That just isn't what they are for. Most DVDs are a circuit, cardio type workout using weights and isolation. Heavy lifting is low rep, as much weight as you can do, compound lifts.

OK, so I've been doing Chalean Extreme and only do the weights workouts, I lift as much as I can....but this isn't heavy because I'm following a dvd program?

But if I went to the gym to lift the same weights it's heavy lifting?

I don't understand what you're saying, sorry.

Just google "Heavy Lifting Program". It's a program with only basic, compound lifts and doing low rep sets with as much weight as you can. I have never seen the program that you do but I would be willing to bet that it's one workout to the next with low rest and high reps, correct? It just isn't the same as heavy lifting. Just because you aren't doing a "heavy lifting program" doesn't mean you aren't lifting things that are heavy. I don't know how to explain it any better.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Regressed.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yes you can but you will need more equipment. I started with new rules of lifting for women at home, now I have moved onto Layne nortons PHAT, which i just learnt from this thread isn't technicallydefined as heavy lifting. What is that kind of program called? Just lifting?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Also... I'm not aware of any actual HEAVY lifting programs that come on DVD.

Beachbody has brought out a programme called Body Beast - it is HEAVY lifting - they have two versions - a lighter and a real heavy one......

btw - I am NOT a beachbody coach - but know a few people doing the programme and loving it :-)

Heavy Lifting really has nothing to do with how much the weight you are using weighs. If your max 5X5 bench press is 500 pounds then doing 5 sets of 5 with 500 pounds is "heavy" lifting for you. Grabbing 250 and doing 48 reps would not be even though 250 is heavy. You could also be doing a "heavy lifting" program and only using 80 pounds. Any DVD workout is NOT a heavy lifting program.

That just isn't what they are for. Most DVDs are a circuit, cardio type workout using weights and isolation. Heavy lifting is low rep, as much weight as you can do, compound lifts.

OK, so I've been doing Chalean Extreme and only do the weights workouts, I lift as much as I can....but this isn't heavy because I'm following a dvd program?

But if I went to the gym to lift the same weights it's heavy lifting?

I don't understand what you're saying, sorry.

Go back to page 2 where I define heavy lifting programs. Or here: Heavy lifting programs are powerlifting-inspired lifting regimens that revolve entirely around compound exercises. There is no isolation training and you don't work in splits (meaning work different muscles on different days). You train full body every workout for low reps of high weight (3-5 reps). The idea behind heavy lifting is to train primarily for functional strength gains, not so much for bodily changes. The changes you want to see in your body will happen as a result of the diet you observe while undergoing this training regimen.

Basically, heavy lifting is a very specific kind of weightlifting workout. Because of the immense amounts of equipment required, it can't really be had on DVD because it basically required converting your whole house into a gym. Plus, keeping your eyes glued to a TV screen is impossible to do while maintaining form.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

It COULD be, but probably wouldn't sell very well.

"Do five squats".
    Now we sit and chat to our mates for two minutes....
    "Another five squats"

And of course the time you really want to be paying attention to your body form not the DVD is that fairly quick burst when something's actually happening.

Often only doing 3 exercises, I don't think there would be the comercial impetuous to make one.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Heavy lifting workouts require significantly higher amounts of weight and use of a squat rack and a bench. If you don't have these things you simply can not do it out of your home. You can do workouts using weights, but they are not orthodox heavy lifting programs.

Edit: The people who recommended P90X above have no idea what a heavy lifting program is and only know about DVD workouts. Ignore them. No offense to them, but they're stepping way outside of their area of knowledge to address a heavy lifting question.
    Wrong. All lifts can be modified to dumbbells. No squat rack required. I know, because I do SL 5x5s using Olympic dumbbells.

Agreed about P90X, though. That's cardio, not heavy lifting.

You may have done some bastardized version of stronglifts 5x5 but the fact of the matter is that if you are looking to develop high levels of strength you need to be performing heavy barbell movements that you can't load properly with dumbbells (barbell back squat and deadlift in particular)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You may have done some bastardized version of stronglifts 5x5 but the fact of the matter is that if you are looking to develop high levels of strength you need to be performing heavy barbell movements that you can't load properly with dumbbells (barbell back squat and deadlift in particular)

Keep in mind that you're a dude. You're going to be lifting heavier than most women. :smile: While dumbbells might not cut it for you, they might for women, especially those just starting out.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is entertaining....sort of.

Heavy lifting has different meanings to different people.
    The most strict one is probably the view of only squats, dead lifts, bench, & olympic style movements.

Then there's expanding on that but keeping with mostly compound movements and little to no isolation movements

Then there is lift what ever movement you want, just keep the weight heavy enough that the rep range is 6 or less.

And to me, that's where the "heavy lifting" ends. DVD's are not heavy lifting.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that you're a dude. You're going to be lifting heavier than most women. :smile: While dumbbells might not cut it for you, they might for women, especially those just starting out.

I prefer dumbbells over barbells for the bent-over row, bench press, and overhead press. I find that it leads to better functional strength gains and being able to rotate your wrist naturally through the movement leads to less unnecessary stress on the wrist and shoulder ligaments. That being said, I can definitely see how once you get up to a certain point you might have difficulty keeping grip with them vs. with barbells.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This is entertaining....sort of.

Heavy lifting has different meanings to different people.
    The most strict one is probably the view of only squats, dead lifts, bench, & olympic style movements.

Then there's expanding on that but keeping with mostly compound movements and little to no isolation movements

Then there is lift what ever movement you want, just keep the weight heavy enough that the rep range is 6 or less.

And to me, that's where the "heavy lifting" ends. DVD's are not heavy lifting.

Agreed. As with most things on this site, there is no 1 singular right answer, but rather varying shades of gray based on preference, goals, etc.