Why do so many people think meat is essential? (NOT DEBATE)

Options

Replies

• GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i know that for me, meat is essential. i have fructose intolerance. my safest foods are meat, potatoes, spinach, and mushrooms. meat is the only food with no fructose in it. if i want to be healthy and have all my vitamins and minerals, i need to eat meat.

i had been a vegetarian before. i felt bad for the animals. so for 4 years the only animal products i ate was dairy. my health got seriously bad. my teeth started to rot out and i got real weak. i was eating the protein i needed and everything but i could not digest most of the stuff i was eating. the fructose content was too high.

the doctors who dxd me said that 85% of america is most likely fructose intolerant.

i still wont eat lamb or veal.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I personally consider meat important but not essential. I eat a high-protein, mod-fat, low-carb diet. I'd rather flip the fat/protein ratios but food intolerances (eggs, dairy, coconut oil) prevent me. Not only does this diet carry me over for 6-8 hours each meal, lower my food bill and keep me going through workouts, it's pretty tasty. However the cooking is a bit inconvenient and of course my veggie/vegan friends aren't thrilled... not environmentally friendly since I can't afford to sniff out the grass-fed organic beef and chicken (no pork, bison, lamb, veal, venison, duck, etc. for me), or sustainably caught tuna and salmon ,every time.

I have to agree with the Paleo ideals with meat in that we've been eating it for a long time. If the saturated fat in animal meat was really the issue, the human race would be long gone by now.

I don't like to be rude or downplay anyone in any way, but the whole superiority complex with veggies/vegans irritates me. Some vegans/veggies I know are very chill about others food choices, but a few I know are just hardcore and give meat eaters dirty looks...
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you come to my house I am more likely to cook a vegetarian dish than a meat one. I'm not a big meat eater, especially when I am on my own.

My friends never notice until I tell them AFTER they've eaten it. That's when they start to criticise the fact I cooked a vegetarian meal. Why?!

To me, its good but not essential. Protein is important but you can get it elsewhere.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Because it winds up the evangelical vegetarians to say such things?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well meat is essential for SOME eating plans, like Paleo and Keto.....just saying. In your case, it's not, so I would ignore those who are being disrespectful. As long as you're getting nutrients from other sources, you'll be fine.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    No debate from me as long as you get protein. I think meat is essential because humans are omnivores, but no adult should be forced to eat things they really don't want to eat. Sadly, the unhealthiest relative I have is a 'vegetarian' but she does not eat healthy. Eating healthy is what is important.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I consider myself healthy. I think it is harder to get in protein compared to meat eaters. However, I do get in my protein! It would be even harder for a vegan...
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think people can meet their protein needs either way. It may require some more thought to meeting the needs through a plant based lifestyle, but it takes more thought not to exceed them with an animal based lifestyle. For me, I eat some meat, not a lot compared to the average American. I process my own excess cockerels, and make sure that I'm being as humane as possible. I don't have a problem with it, since there are a lot of meat eating animals on the planet, I just happen to be one of them. Though, factory farming grosses me out physically, emotionally and morally, so I avoid that like the plague. I don't give anyone **** for what they choose but I will say that people who stuff as much fatty meat into their face as possible seem a lot more "out there" to me than vegans.
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    our bodies evolved eating a mixed diet for thousands of years. An omnivorous diet is optimal
  • Dbernier1981
    Dbernier1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for quite some time and I got this as well. Most of my close friends didn't give me a hard time though but I know most who eat meat feel it is needed. I will admit I have added poultry back occasionally but I still can't personally stomach red meat(It was very hard for my stomach to digest with UC and just don't like it). Its hard because the media and commercials are constantly saying that we need milk for calcium and meat for iron and I know there are other options out there but when there is so much conflicting information out there, it is hard to convince people otherwise. I think its all about education...that there are other options, other than meat for vital nutrients :smile:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Because protein is neccessary to sustain life and NO other source of protein comes anywhere close to MEAT in deliciousness!!!! No other reasons needed!!
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My youngest daughter has been vegetarian for about 6 years now but her diet is poor. She won't eat pulses or lentils and relies on dairy for the bulk of her protein. She eats a limited amount of vegetables. She now has multiple joint problems (mainly ankles, elbows and shoulders) and is awaiting investigative surgery. I tell her all the time that I would rather she returned to a diet that included meat in order to see if it might improve her health.
  • RickGree
    Options
    MEAT IS IMPORTANT! In everybody else's diet. All that plaque and hardening of the arteries. All those growth hormones, antibiotics and other toxins.
    If the world went vegetarian most everyone would live to a hundred. Twenty extra years per person would overdraw the pension plans and bankrupt the country.
    Have a great day!
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    MEAT IS IMPORTANT! In everybody else's diet. All that plaque and hardening of the arteries. All those growth hormones, antibiotics and other toxins.
    If the world went vegetarian most everyone would live to a hundred. Twenty extra years per person would overdraw the pension plans and bankrupt the country.
    Have a great day!
    [/quote

Let's see your sources for those erroneous blanket statements.]
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater, in fact I love meat, but It's not at all essential to survive. As long as you're getting all your protein and iron ect, from other foods. Then there is no reason why you wouldn't be healthy.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    As a hunter, I'll leave vegetables for the gatherers
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    There are a few nutrients that you can't get from plants, such as vitamin B12, DHA, and EPA, and I wouldn't take my chances on not getting enough of them. I like vegetarian food though. I think a perfect diet, in terms of health, would have a lot of vegetables and moderate amounts of healthy meats.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    i know that for me, meat is essential. i have fructose intolerance. my safest foods are meat, potatoes, spinach, and mushrooms. meat is the only food with no fructose in it. if i want to be healthy and have all my vitamins and minerals, i need to eat meat.

i had been a vegetarian before. i felt bad for the animals. so for 4 years the only animal products i ate was dairy. my health got seriously bad. my teeth started to rot out and i got real weak. i was eating the protein i needed and everything but i could not digest most of the stuff i was eating. the fructose content was too high.

the doctors who dxd me said that 85% of america is most likely fructose intolerant.

i still wont eat lamb or veal.

Your loss. Lamb is WONDERFUL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Protein is essential. Most people who eat meat identify it with protein content and fat. Also for many, eating meat to meet a protein requirement is easier than eating a larger amount of non meat product.
    Vegetarians can be healthy. As well as people who eat meat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why some people assume vegetarians are not getting sufficient nutrients! It is sometimes annoying when I get asked "What do you eat?" when I say I don't eat meat.

There are definitely "bad" vegetarians who turn into carbavores and do not get protein from other sources. Maybe some people have only experienced the vegetarians who are not eating enough variety in their diet?

But I am definitely a healthy vegetarian. I have awesome hemoglobin levels so I am able to donate blood, I'm active, I would say I'm fit and make good food choices! And I have been vegetarian for 10 years!