LOW CARB. BUT HIGH CALORIE?

Options
I need to find foods that are higher in calories but low in carbs. Preferably with a reasonablely low fat content. Does anyone have any good recommandations? We truly intend on buying things that we find out about on our next shopping trip so any advice would be greatlly helpful.

Thanks.

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Almonds are a good source. They are high in fats, but they are good fats. Chicken and turkey are good too, and 90% dark chocolate. :)

EDIT: Maybe not the chocolate, I forgot how fatty it was!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    So...basically you want high calorie lean protein sources? Erm...what? It doesn't quite work that way. All I can tell you is be prepared to eat a LOT of chicken/turkey/fish in a single sitting. ;)
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    this is not for me it for my wife. She struggles getting enough calories withoug going over on carbs. (she is on a low carb diet as per her docter for medical reasons) Protien is not an issue. Just low carb options that will be up there a bit on calories.

We are planning on getting some almonds this go around but i don't think chocoale will work. She would never stop. lol : )
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    this is not for me it for my wife. She struggles getting enough calories withoug going over on carbs. (she is on a low carb diet as per her docter for medical reasons) Protien is not an issue. Just low carb options that will be up there a bit on calories.

We are planning on getting some almonds this go around but i don't think chocoale will work. She would never stop. lol : )

Yeah, I was serious. When I was running a borderline keto diet, dinner for me would often consist of a full 20 oz. container of 99/1 ground turkey. 600 calories, 8g fat, 0g carbs, 130g protein.
  • mjschumacher100
    Options
    It's not difficult, just eat lots of lean meats. Chicken, turkey, indeed depending on fats (which should be relatively high in the diet to compensate for the low carb levels) you can even go for less lean cuts, nice fatty beef mince for example.

If I were to go lower carb I'd eat plenty of steak, chicken, lamb and add veg like broccoli etc.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    OK....so almonds and just about as much lean meats as possible. Any other ideas?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Low carb and low fat but high calorie? im afraid there is no such thing ... u looking for protein which WILL most likely include fats. HIGH FAT HIGH PROTEIN is what u should look for from what i take on it
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Calories come from fat (9 cal/gram), carbs (4 cal/gram), protein (4 cal/gram), and alcohol (7 cal/gram). If she wants to stay low fat AND low carb then all her calories must come from protein and booze. :P
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OK....so almonds and just about as much lean meats as possible. Any other ideas?

fat free greek yoghurt
    fat free cottage cheese
    tuna
    prawns
    salmon (not low fat)

i like carbs, so cant really think of much else....
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    She just wants to keep from going over on here daily fat goal is all.

Low carb higher calorie is what she needs. I guess my original post was a bit misleading. I know that there is going to be higher fat content in most cases. Does any one have any food ideas that have not yet been mentioned?

Thus far all i have is almonds, dark chocolate, chicken, turkey, fish. That is good but are there any other ideas? I am actuelly looking for some specific things. I

Thanks everyone.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options

fat free greek yoghurt
    fat free cottage cheese
    tuna
    prawns
    salmon (not low fat)

i like carbs, so cant really think of much else....

there we go.................thank you
  • mizchubby69
    Options
    How about cheese and ham omelette, eggs?
  • mizchubby69
    Options
    woops sorry meant bacon and eggs.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options

She likes turkey bacon. Will that fall into what we are looking for?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

eggs are good, but it depends how much fat she wants to eat?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think most of us who eat low carb get the bulk of our calories from healthy fats. So I'm not really sure what to say here. Someone suggested tons of lean protein--that's about the only thing I can think of that is low fat, no carb, and somewhat caloric. Turkey, fish, chicken...
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Probably. Meat is not a carb, ever. If the meat is breaded, the breading is a carb. Veggies are also carbs, but don't avoid them.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    my diary is open and your wife is very welcome to look at it, i try and keep my carbs under 100g a day and always over on protein and never gp over on my fat.

i eat a lot of

tuna
    fage greek yogurt
    turkey
    chicken
    stirfry's
    cottage cheese
    quorn, sausages/turkey bacon/ mushrooms
    berries mixed with fage and protein powder
    quorn mince (made into spicy mince, chilli)
    prawns
    salmon

hope this helps

and nice to hear your giving your wife support thats so great
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options

eggs are good, but it depends how much fat she wants to eat?

I don't want to start a long debate about eggs as i am sure you all know would happen. :smile: However we don't eat the egg yolks so let's all move on to some other ideas. lol
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    my diary is open and your wife is very welcome to look at it, i try and keep my carbs under 100g a day and always over on protein and never gp over on my fat.

i eat a lot of

tuna
    fage greek yogurt
    turkey
    chicken
    stirfry's
    cottage cheese
    quorn, sausages/turkey bacon/ mushrooms
    berries mixed with fage and protein powder
    quorn mince (made into spicy mince, chilli)
    prawns
    salmon

hope this helps

and nice to hear your giving your wife support thats so great

Thank you very much! what is quorn and fage though? I have not heard of these.