LOW CARB. BUT HIGH CALORIE?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fage is just the brand of greek yoghurt

quorn is pretend meat, again the brand of it.
  • wall_i_am
    Options
    appreciate the list, i am on LCHF and agree on the lean meats.

Stay away from CAshews... whilst high on good fats, very carby... gutted lol.

Almonds, almond milk, almond butter... all good
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    fage is just the brand of greek yoghurt

quorn is pretend meat, again the brand of it.

I will have to google these. i have no idea if any stores around me sell them.
  • skimmy1310
    Options
    Avocado, high in cals and good fats.

My profile is open as a PT I encourage a limited carb diet as in wholegrain ones but lots of veggies and lean protein and fruit.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    Avocado...i forgot about that one. She does like those but i sure don't. : )
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    Just cheese... Eat cheese!!! Lots of calories, no carbs... (High-ish fat though...)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt! full fat if you can find it anymore but apparently it's a rare commodity at least in my area. I sometimes will toss in a scoop of protein powder with it - especially if it's my evening snack.

I don't understand low fat and low carb. It's not healthy to do that. You have to give your body one or the other - by fat I don't mean garbage fat but good fats, ie the above suggestons. There's a major difference between the fats you get from eating clean and the processed fats you get from the average diet these days.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that's going to be low carb AND low fat tbh, apart from lean protein as others have said. But you will have to eat a lot.

Oily fish would be good, salmon or mackerel, for example.
    Avocados
    Peanut butter

All high in fat though - but it is the good kind.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    Like i mentioned earlier, fat is fine. Low carbs is the importent thing. Thanks for all your suggestions. i am literelly putting a shopping list together right now with these suggestions so please keep them coming. Any and all suggestions please.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Does she count all the carbs that she eats, or does she subtract the fiber from the total grams of carbs she's eating?
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    Does she count all the carbs that she eats, or does she subtract the fiber from the total grams of carbs she's eating?

Try's to be sure she gets a good amount of fiber but does not do the specific math you mentioned.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    woops sorry meant bacon and eggs.

She likes turkey bacon. Will that fall into what we are looking for?

eggs are good, but it depends how much fat she wants to eat?

I don't want to start a long debate about eggs as i am sure you all know would happen. :smile: However we don't eat the egg yolks so let's all move on to some other ideas. lol
    Oh yes, we're all aware of the dreaded evil fat in the yolks.......Low fat makes sense now.... how bout egg whites and protein powder and you can get the whites in cartons so you don't feel guilty throwing out the yolks.:wink:
  • melmckay99
    Options
    egg whites, fish....i don't know what else.
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    this is not for me it for my wife. She struggles getting enough calories withoug going over on carbs. (she is on a low carb diet as per her docter for medical reasons) Protien is not an issue. Just low carb options that will be up there a bit on calories.

We are planning on getting some almonds this go around but i don't think chocoale will work. She would never stop. lol : )

Yeah, I was serious. When I was running a borderline keto diet, dinner for me would often consist of a full 20 oz. container of 99/1 ground turkey. 600 calories, 8g fat, 0g carbs, 130g protein.

I do low carb a few times a week (on days I dont have spin class). try here http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Cheese, olive oil, butter, BACON, jerky, Atkins bars, Avacado, almond the butter....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    this is not for me it for my wife. She struggles getting enough calories withoug going over on carbs. (she is on a low carb diet as per her docter for medical reasons) Protien is not an issue. Just low carb options that will be up there a bit on calories.

We are planning on getting some almonds this go around but i don't think chocoale will work. She would never stop. lol : )

Yeah, I was serious. When I was running a borderline keto diet, dinner for me would often consist of a full 20 oz. container of 99/1 ground turkey. 600 calories, 8g fat, 0g carbs, 130g protein.

I do low carb a few times a week (on days I dont have spin class). try here http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

I like plain meat. The OP might find that useful though.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    I love fage too! Also salami sticks... Forgot that one. What a great husband you are. If your in the US Carbmaster yogurt!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options
    Also if you can get it jay Robb chocolate protein powder. I put pb2 in it!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, I forgot my quest bars. They have great protein, and have an all natural variety. The texture is decent and the taste is really great.

Also look for "Power peanut butter" it's higher in protein than store brands. I order mine from Netrition.com
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Use the liquid egg (sounds gross), but you can make an omlette with it. Add meat - i.e. turkey bacon. Lower in fat - good protein.

I cook up ground chicken or ground turkey and rinse it in hot water when I'm done to get rid of any extra fat. I then add this to my homemade veggie soups to give me extra protein.

Fage yogurt is great!