IM HEADING TO THE USA IN JUNE 2013!

Options

Replies

• sheldonsteyn
    sheldonsteyn Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you dont come to the Black Hills of South Dakota, you've totally missed the history of the old wild west. Deadwood, Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickock Seth Bullock all buried in Deadwood. Gold mining, and did I mention Mount Rushmore or the Crazy Horse memorial? What about Devils tower just across the state line in Wyoming? If you want scenery, come up through Yellowstone then over to the Black Hills.

There is a reason they hold the largest motorcycle rally in the WORLD here during the Sturgis motorcycle rally here every year. Annual attendance is between 300k and 700k bikers.. its because our little neck of the woods has so much variety and beautiful scenery. Fishing, hiking, camping, mt biking, rock climbing.. you name it. And its never congested.

That sounds awesome!! Hopefully I can fit it in somewhere! Thanks for the info.

The gaslamp quarter in San Diego is a nice area if you're looking for places to stay. Lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. and easily walkable.

Yes, the gaslamp quarters is the place to visit at night. Also, Old town, best mexican food ever. Plus the Whaley house is there. It is a "true" haunted house. You can take the trolley from Gaslamp(Which is downtown San Diego) to Old town. Super fun. I sure hope you have a wonderful time here. This is where I live and it is beautiful.

Ive got that down as a def n yessss i LOVE mexican food!!
    Chicago in the summer time is to be beat. I work with Aussies and brits they all agree. Plus having the accent you'll clean up :-)
    Midwest peeps are friendly and laid back you'll looove it

If I can fit Chicago in somewhere I will!! Think i may need to extend this vacation!

@digitalbill: I will be stopping at Key West on the Carnival Cruise :) anything in particular you recommend there?
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    How about Idaho? LOL

Wa waaaaaaaa wa.....:drinker:
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sea World in SD is kind of run down these days.. but you will definitely want to go to the San Diego zoo.. and you will need an entire day for it, it's HUGE!!! love it there though. and you have Vegas lined up too. yep, good call.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and Gaslamp District in San Diego.. amazing.. lots of restaurants, places to stay, and fun bars... I rode my first mechanical bull at Gaslamp... great memories there lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    On the day you go to universal studios you should try to end the evening with yamashiro's hilltop restaurant in hollywood. amazing view and not too far away.
  • sheldonsteyn
    Options
    Sea World in SD is kind of run down these days.. but you will definitely want to go to the San Diego zoo.. and you will need an entire day for it, it's HUGE!!! love it there though. and you have Vegas lined up too. yep, good call.

So are you saying its not worth seeing? We have a Seaworld here but thought Americas would be much better. Do they have whales there? Think i need to look into it further. What is the Safari Park like and does it require a full day?
    On the day you go to universal studios you should try to end the evening with yamashiro's hilltop restaurant in hollywood. amazing view and not too far away.

Thanks will note that down. Planning on a LA hop on hop off tour aswell.
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm from NY and currently living in LA so hopefully I can be of some help. While you're at Universal you should do the studio tour if you have time - if you're into movies/tv at all its pretty cool, they show you have stuff is made and take you on to sets and stuff. I haven't done the Universal one but I did the WB one and they took us on the set of Friends, Mike and Molly, Ellen, Desperate Housewives, Gilmore Girls, etc. it was pretty cool!

I'd also try to make it out to Santa Monica if you can squeeze it in, its only about a 20 minute drive from Downtown so depending on where your staying its not too far but they have the famous pier which may be fun for your daughter depending on how old she is, and lots of restaurants. Behind it there's a promenade with tons of shopping, street musicians, etc.

In NY I'd make time for the Empire State building, Central Park, Ground Zero and the Statue of Liberty (they recently opened it back up so you can climb all the way to the top which is pretty cool), while you're there you can also see Ellis Island, its interesting but more museum-esque so it might not be your thing. Other than that, definitely try the NY pizza and bagels!! Little Italy can be a fun place to walk around too, they have some of the best Italian food I've ever eaten, including in Italy. I forgot when you said you'd be here, but if the Yankees are playing thats always fun too!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    [quot

If I was to choose between Grand Canyon or Hoover Dam which would you recommend and why?

When I was in Vegas I took a helicopter trip out to the Grand Canyon which was awesome - you fly over the Hoover Dam, and land at the Canyon for an hour or so - then fly back - with a stop in the desert to refuel before you fly back to Vegas - and they do a fly over Vegas as well - loved it

http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/tour-listing.aspx
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas for when I head to New York in September this year.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    In NY, make sure you go to the natural history Museum, and definitely eat as much as you can in Chinatown! So cheap, so delicious, just hop on the metro and you'll have all sorts of interesting, tasty stuff to try :)
  • sheldonsteyn
    Options
    ^^^Ill def check it out, thanks. Want to experience as much as possible while Im there :)
    I'm from NY and currently living in LA so hopefully I can be of some help. While you're at Universal you should do the studio tour if you have time - if you're into movies/tv at all its pretty cool, they show you have stuff is made and take you on to sets and stuff. I haven't done the Universal one but I did the WB one and they took us on the set of Friends, Mike and Molly, Ellen, Desperate Housewives, Gilmore Girls, etc. it was pretty cool!

I'd also try to make it out to Santa Monica if you can squeeze it in, its only about a 20 minute drive from Downtown so depending on where your staying its not too far but they have the famous pier which may be fun for your daughter depending on how old she is, and lots of restaurants. Behind it there's a promenade with tons of shopping, street musicians, etc.

In NY I'd make time for the Empire State building, Central Park, Ground Zero and the Statue of Liberty (they recently opened it back up so you can climb all the way to the top which is pretty cool), while you're there you can also see Ellis Island, its interesting but more museum-esque so it might not be your thing. Other than that, definitely try the NY pizza and bagels!! Little Italy can be a fun place to walk around too, they have some of the best Italian food I've ever eaten, including in Italy. I forgot when you said you'd be here, but if the Yankees are playing thats always fun too!

Thanks first hand experience is exactly what I want! I will make sure to do everything you listed!
  • NCmcMan
    Options
    Bo, you need to go out to the Smokey mountains out on the Tennessee/North Carolina boarder. Rent a Harley Davidson for a day, and just take in the beauty. Everyone that goes on a vacation to another country usually wants to go to the tourist traps, but I highly recommend against doing that. There is so much hidden beauty in everybody's country to get all tangled up in the "norm" Just a suggestion for ya ;)
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i went to Vegas last year - it was great!! While there you need to take a day trip to the Western Rim of the Grand Canyon and go out on the skywalk!! It was truly amazing and worth the money!! We went thru Viator Tours. The tour bus picked us up at our hotel early in the AM and brought us right back there in the evening- we stayed at the Monte Carlo!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    @digitalbill: I will be stopping at Key West on the Carnival Cruise :) anything in particular you recommend there?
    The Florida Keys, and Key West in particular are pretty unique.
    While they are in Florida, folks in the Keys are basically in an entirely different country.
    The history of the Keys was based on pirates and looters. Once you land in Key West, make sure you check out Duval street.
    I don't know how much you are into American history but, the Harry Truman white house is there.
    Basically, President Truman spent so much time down in the Keys, he had a residence built. It is now a museaum.
    Earnest Hemmingway had a house which is now converted into a museaum also.
    Mallory square gets a bit crazy at sundown so it might be worth hanging around if you have the time.
    There is also a tour of the PIRATE SOUL MUSEUM which is kinda cool.
  • sheldonsteyn
    Options
    Sooo much awesome input from u all!! May have to look at extending my stay!
  • sheldonsteyn
    Options
    Can someone pls tell me if i can fit Universal Studio and the LA Hop on-Hop off Tour in 1 day.
  • LindsayHein
    LindsayHein Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you have time in San Diego and have access to a car, you should drive along PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) at sunset. It is absolutely beautiful. If you are into photography you can get some amazing photos. Even if you're not, it is sooooo worth it.

In New York, you should check out Battery Park. It is an old elevated train track that has been converted into a park. Also, if it's your thing, you should catch a Broadway show.

Also, you can take the BOLT bus from New York down to my neck of the woods, DC! There are lots of amazing FREE museums, monuments, and the National Zoo. The Natural History and Air and Space Museums are my favorite. Most of the Museums are along the National Mall you can see a lot in one day. Hope you have a blast whatever you decide to do.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit biased but San Francisco is beautiful! Also, if you'll be in Vegas try and see "O". I adore Cirque Du Soleil and O is their most popular show. I've always wanted to see it but it only plays in Vegas and I've never been there.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Check out New Orleans the French quarters. You have to try the food down there! :)