Am I eating to little?

Options
I have been working out and eating better for 5 weeks now this is my 6th week. And i have been eating usually 1200 calories/day and 4 times a week i burn about 600-800 calories working out. I am doing a mix of cardio and weights. This past week i have been at a stand still and someone mentioned i am not eating enough. PLEASE HELP. I started 5 weeks ago at 315 and now weigh 293. Ultimately i feel like if i increase what i eat in my head i will gain weight. Because i attibute food to weight gain.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    1. Find TDEE
    2. Subtract 20% and that's your calorie target
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Both suggestions above are good.

At your weight, you were able to eat at a very low level to begin. However, now that you've seen some good results, it will be wise to increase your calories a little. At the very least, eat back half of your exercise calories to start. After a while, you may want to eat all of them back. After you've seen more weight loss, then you can try the TDEE - 20%.

I like the TDEE - 20% method, but I understand your concern and baby steps to increased calories might work best for you.
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Options
    How do you find your TDEE? Someone refresh me please?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

There are more complicated ones, but I like this simple calculator best http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    1. Find TDEE

This is what I do. TDEE - 20% = 1017 C. If I go over, I gain.
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Options
    Thanks
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    1. Find TDEE

How is your TDEE -20% only 1017???? Are you bed ridden?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    1. Find TDEE

How is your TDEE -20% only 1017???? Are you bed ridden?
    According to the ticker, she's just over 100lbs. Maybe she is very petite, like 4' 1" or so?
  • Hi! 1200 is what you should have a day if you want to loose weight but not do ANY physical activity.

At 1200 a day with exercise - your body isnt going to give up an fat cuz it needs it. It thinks you are starving.

If you are exercising everyday - Pop those calories up to 1400-1500, give it about 2 weeks (i KNOW that seems like forever to see
    some weight drop - but patience pays off!) and fat should start coming off ;)

This is from my own personal experience. Was working out and eating only 1350 a day(for about a month) when i increased to 1400-1450 the pounds started dropping off cuz my body decided it was "safe" to let go of some stored fat :)

Good luck!
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi! 1200 is what you should have a day if you want to loose weight but not do ANY physical activity.

At 1200 a day with exercise - your body isnt going to give up an fat cuz it needs it. It thinks you are starving.

If you are exercising everyday - Pop those calories up to 1400-1500, give it about 2 weeks (i KNOW that seems like forever to see
    some weight drop - but patience pays off!) and fat should start coming off ;)

This is from my own personal experience. Was working out and eating only 1350 a day(for about a month) when i increased to 1400-1450 the pounds started dropping off cuz my body decided it was "safe" to let go of some stored fat :)

Good luck!

I think she needs a bit more than 1500 tbh. More like 1800, minimum is to eat your BMR...more sustainable
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Ultimately i feel like if i increase what i eat in my head i will gain weight. Because i attibute food to weight gain.

Think of how you ate, and how much you ate before you started wanting to lose weight.. Don't eat that way... But that doesn't mean don't eat.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

There are more complicated ones, but I like this simple calculator best http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Ok I just did this calculation and TDEE-20% for me was around 1900 calories?! That seems kinda high but how accurate is this calculation?

Thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read the link I provided the OP above. It explains the whole process in detail.
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My TDEE (after subtracting 20%) is 2100...I still feel like that's way too many calories in a day. I'm fairly active (light to moderate exercise every day), but still. My calorie goal had been about 1200 and I always went under. I've upped it to 1500, but I still don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My TDEE (after subtracting 20%) is 2100...I still feel like that's way too many calories in a day. I'm fairly active (light to moderate exercise every day), but still. My calorie goal had been about 1200 and I always went under. I've upped it to 1500, but I still don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

Calculate your BMR. If your BMR is higher than 1500 and you are eating under 1500, that's what's wrong.
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1690. So what should I be eating then? (There's so much math and I'm terrible at it).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    My BMR is 1690. So what should I be eating then? (There's so much math and I'm terrible at it).

You should never eat below BMR. Those are the calories your body would need to survive if you were in a coma. Basic body function without daily activity.

If your TDEE -20% is 2100 then you should aim for 2100.
  • kinggrace78
    Options
    Okay so I have been reading this thread and the whole BMR, TDEE thing is new to me. I used the calculators that someone suggested and my BMR is 1569 and my TDEE is 1947, but MFP says I should stick to 1340. I'm confused, what should my calories be for weight loss?

I work out 30-45 minutes about 3 or 4 days a week and sometimes a water aerobic class for 60 minutes, but I have a desk job. Any advice for me?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Read this. Or the roadmap link already posted in this thread.