Am I eating to little?

Options

Replies

• JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In addition to IPOARM check out this information from 'heybales':

Weight Loss Calculator spreadsheet for BMR/TDEE deficit methods, HRM info, macro setup, MFP tweaking, all to maximize deficit and benefit of exercise done:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Description of spreadsheet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have been reading this thread and the whole BMR, TDEE thing is new to me. I used the calculators that someone suggested and my BMR is 1569 and my TDEE is 1947, but MFP says I should stick to 1340. I'm confused, what should my calories be for weight loss?

DO NOT go below the 1569, your body will FREAK & start storing fat.

That's the problem... MFP doesn't take into account that EVERYONE is different.

Prime example? Mine is 1287, because I work in an office, & sit on my butt all day every day.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    you have lost 22lbs in 5 weeks and because you didn't lose anything in the last week you think you are at a stand still? I think you just need to calm down and give it some time.. I lost 4 lbs in 5 weeks and I am not concerned..
  • kassiedavis111
    Options
    I agree wioth you so much.. I fell like if I eat I will gain weight. I had the Gastric Bypass in 2010 and before I started I was at 255lbs but now I am at 189 and I gain 1 lb then I lose it.. I want to lose about 20 more pounds and like you I work out 3-4 times a week.. My doctor told me that my body is storing my fat because it dont know when I will feed it again.. I dont know I feel like when I eat a lot I will gain that weigh and that is what scare me
  • kinggrace78
    Options
    Okay so I have been reading this thread and the whole BMR, TDEE thing is new to me. I used the calculators that someone suggested and my BMR is 1569 and my TDEE is 1947, but MFP says I should stick to 1340. I'm confused, what should my calories be for weight loss?

Prime example? Mine is 1287, because I work in an office, & sit on my butt all day every day.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    you have lost 22lbs in 5 weeks and because you didn't lose anything in the last week you think you are at a stand still? I think you just need to calm down and give it some time.. I lost 4 lbs in 5 weeks and I am not concerned..
    Well, OP does have like 4 times as many lbs as you to go. So her weight loss is likely to be more rapid and that is expected. I have goals similar to yours and the weight comes off super slowly.
  • nikkifumasta
    Options
    How do you find your TDEE? Someone refresh me please?

There are more complicated ones, but I like this simple calculator best http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Ok I just did this calculation and TDEE-20% for me was around 1900 calories?! That seems kinda high but how accurate is this calculation?

Thanks!

It is supposed to be higher than what you're used to, but keep in mind that this includes if you "work out", etc.

As a nursing mom, I go by my TDEE then minus out a small % for my working out (I have high hopes to work out 4-5 times a week, but I have a toddler and an infant ... I need to be realistic). Then I add some more back in for my nursing.

I am at about 1900 calories right now. The TDEE system has been working for me so far, but as I lose weight, I need to recheck my TDEE every other week and update it.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Follow the Roadmap and TDEE-20% links mentioned above - the best advice you will ever get about how to lose fat and keep it off. Not complicated, you choose what you want to eat and it works.

Two groups with lots of people there to support you are:

* http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

* http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

And shout up if you need any more help :smile:
    18352 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are correct not eating enough . You have to increase your cal intake especially if your burning as many cals and working out 4 times a week . When doing weights I am sure you have a after burn for 48 hrs after your workout . So you do need to eat more . I had the same problem as you . I train 5 days a week do crossfit a mixture of weights and cardio . I have just managed to get my cals up to 1400 a day . Hope this helps . 1835
  • nikkifumasta
    Options

^Exactly!
    MFP is great for tracking, etc. - but using the auto set up for you isn't always the best. It's too generic. Not that its a bad "place to start" if you're new to this ... but TDEE/BMR is the way to go! I like that MFP has the flexibility that you can change the calories/%'s of your daily goals!
  • JessicaP327
    JessicaP327 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give a general THANK YOU for all of you that have posted on this thread. Esp those who pointed us in the direction of calculators, etc.

I had no idea about BMR and TDEE before reading this, and I was also concerned that my cal intake was too low (thinking about food all day and feeling like I had to eat every 2 hours).

I found this to be very helpful and, although I am concerned that if I add more cals I will gain weight, I think that this (body storing fat making it difficult to lose if you're not getting enough cals) makes more logical sense than what I am believing.

So THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! :heart: :happy:
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    1. Find TDEE
    2. Subtract 20% and that's your calorie target

^
    THIS. Thank you to who suggested this to her.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    however the biggest loser contestants lose at an alarming rate and I'm sure the caloric intake is under 1700
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    however the biggest loser contestants lose at an alarming rate and I'm sure the caloric intake is under 1700

Ooooh boy...

*waits for flood gates to open*
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Ooooh boy...

I'd follow the road to the map link. Also, about the biggest loser - thought this was an interesting interview about it...

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Ooooh boy...

I'd follow the road to the map link. Also, about the biggest loser - thought this was an interesting interview about it...

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Exactly. Totally unrealistic and edited to make we the little people think its feasible.
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I'm at 1250 right now and exercise 45-60 minutes/5 x weekly, also lifting some, however I feel very energetic and I'm not hungry. So if I feel good at this calorie level, can my metabolism be low regardless?

Increasing cal is so against everything that I've been told throughout the years and it's very scary to think about trying.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Increasing cal is so against everything that I've been told throughout the years and it's very scary to think about trying.
    Look at the weight loss tickers at the bottom of every post from the people who are advising it - do you really think they're all lying and have gained weight rather than losing it?

It's against everything you've been told throughout the years because conventional wisdom is that you have to starve yourself...have to suffer....when "on a diet" to lose weight. Definitely not the case. If you're exercising that much, you certainly have the caloric expenditure to support more than a 1200 calorie intake.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    How do you find your TDEE? Someone refresh me please?

There are more complicated ones, but I like this simple calculator best http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

This one is simple, but I do not believe it is good for someone (like me) who is obese as it does not take body fat percentage into account.

Since I have a high percentage of body fat (an estimated 48%) my TDEE is quite a bit lower than a woman who is my height and weight with mostly muscle. Muscle makes the body a more efficient calorie burning machine, which means that someone who is the same height and weight, but with more muscle, can handle a more calories than those of us whose body makeup contains a higher ratio of fat.

I would suggest visiting In Place of a Roadmap group and taking a look at the BMR / TDEE spreadsheet in the stickies. You plug your measurements into the spreadsheet to get an estimated body fat percentage and then the spreadsheet calculates your BMR and TDEE based on your height, weight and body fat.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • claudetteshaz
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm a newbie and after two weeks on 1200 cals (hungryyyyyy) and with only 1lb gone, I was beginning to think it was just something wrong with me! Lol, up to 1500 - let's see what happens:)