Options
Please share what you are doing?

Replies

• anotherYRwiser
    Options
    portion control is number ONE!

Healthy choices is number TWO!

Moving is number THREE!!

I lost 21 pounds in 2012 and intend to lose 30 this year. I started walking - throw in a couple squats and touch toes and twisty at the waist thingers here and there...moving makes you have more energy. once you see the scale move it gives you more motivation to keep going!

Good Luck!!
  • alexxismom
    Options
    undertake weight loss and excerise journey with a friend they can help keep you motivated when you dont want to get off the couch.:smile: ive lost 55 pounds in 2012 with a goal of 30 more by the summer
  • aluehrman
    Options
    Healthy choices... I love to eat, but I got to choose the right foods!

Get my body moving... I stopped taking the elevator at work, and I am using my breaks at work to walk on the treadmill.

Don't drink my calories... I stopped drinking soda of any kind!! Save those calories for food.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    search for a thread called "in place of a road map" - that explains clearly the method I used to go from obese to a healthy body fat percentage. (aka TDEE -x% method) I'm currently maintaining my weight without difficulty, and I'm working towards lowering my body fat percentage a little more, and also gaining strength.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Drinking less of my calories, I don't just mean alcohol. I used to drink a lot of soda and juice. Measuring food to know proper portions/serving sizes. Eating healthier in general. I'm no where near perfect, I still eat plenty of junk but its soo much better than the way I used to eat...a lot less fast food and processed foods. Exercise...mix of cardio and strength training.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me was realizing how many calories I was actually putting in my body. That made a huge difference.
    Starting to actually eat at regular times and not waiting until I was starving and then gorging myself.
    Moving - a friend and I started walking (3-5 miles, 3-5 days a week), then I did 30 DS, then the best workout video set (IMO) Slim in 6.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Log properly on MFP, weigh everything. Stop eating crappy foods, eat more whole foods.
    Move more. Exercise every single day.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    search for a thread called "in place of a road map" - that explains clearly the method I used to go from obese to a healthy body fat percentage. (aka TDEE -x% method) I'm currently maintaining my weight without difficulty, and I'm working towards lowering my body fat percentage a little more, and also gaining strength.

Same here. 50 pounds year 1, 24 year 2.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A lot of skinless chicken breasts (high in protein and very lo-cal for how filling they are).

More salad, veggies or slaw at a meal than anything else.

Exercise both cardio and heavy weights.

Log before eating (to make sure the food is worth eating given your constraints).

Accept support from and build relationships with other members here.

Home cooked healthy foods instead of eating out.

Accept occasional failure and move on. It's about creating a lifestyle, not how much weight you lost or gained this week.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lost >40 lbs before MFP.

Moving daily -- not just for workouts, but being more active throughout the day (take stairs, more bathroom breaks, etc.)

Eating more earlier in the day rather than most of my cals right before bed

Eating lots of low calorie healthful foods and keeping treats in moderation to avoid binge-fast cycles

Portion control and slower eating. Eating half of how much I wanted. Drinking large glass of water and waiting 10 mins before going for seconds (if needed).

One of the most helpful changes was finding other coping mechanisms!! Will power for an ongoing calorie deficit doesn't last forever so I needed to find other activities to help me deal with emotions rather than running to food. Made a big long list of things to do instead of eating for when I was having different emotional responses. Helps a lot to work on diversifying activities while working with calorie deficit to also provide a reward system.

E.g. lost 5 lbs, get a nice new hair cut / mani-pedi / night out with friends / new dress ...
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 since since about the 15th december (10 weeks).

- 1200 calories, strict measuring on food scale (everything), self made meals ONLY from organic natural vegetables and meat, nothing prepackaged... like ever!

- totally no sweets like nothing since christmas, but I do consume a lot of wine and even beer occasionally, and I cook with butter and also use all kinds of cheese, cream and that stuff. Also not afraid of pork or beef or beans or potatoesand pasta at all.

- yeah portion control, no more than like 100 grams of pasta at a time for example! I rather make carb dense or high fat foods and eat just a little then munch on a huge pile of steamed vegetables (so boring anyways).

- NO exercise but I plan to change this to 30ds and up my intake to 1500+ because 30ds is EXHAUSTING man. I will start this next week and hope I am sure I willl enjoy eating & cooking more :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I do what I plan to do forever. Eat better (most of the time), get some exercise, don't do anything crazy to try to lose (how would I keep it off?). I log every edible thing that passes my lips, I aim to NET around my mfp calorie goal (anything +/- 100 counts in my book), I eat my exercise calories, and I don't stress/freak if I haven't lost if I did "everything right". It just is. I need to eat right and exercise forever-so no rush. As long as I do those things, the weight comes off when it feels like coming off. Working so far...
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    ~Eat high quality food (very little junk food/processed food).
    ~Get some activity in almost every day.
    ~I cut all grains & sugar and artificial sweetener for a while, but have added some gluten-free grains back in recently (occasionally rice maybe twice a month). Still stay mostly sugar free and drink only water, coffee & tea. No sweetened (artificially or otherwise) beverages.
    ~Pick up heavy stuff.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Minimizing restaurant eating

Significantly cutting down on wine (high calories!). I substitute spiced rum with soda water for a lower calorie cocktail - but much less!

Tracking what I eat so I am not fooling myself into thinking I'm eating less than I actually am

Regular exercise - 1 hour five to six days per week split between cardio and strength training.

I don't skip meals and I don't starve myself. I don't deprive myself. If I am hungry on a particular day, I go over my calories. Oh well. I don't punish myself or make myself burn calories. I just move on.

I set a reasonable goal of 1/2 to 1 pound per week.

I have lost weight and enjoyed life.
  • Davariluv
    Davariluv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No processed food. Prepare meals for lunch, trying to eat clean and am going to the gym 5-6 days a week, plus running with my dog after work 2 miles. . I have lost a total of 12 pounds (was 155 pounds) and am feeling amazing.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    270 days(count calories + workout)= -50lbs
  • ashmariehay
    ashmariehay Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Portion Control
    Prepare meals for the week = Lots of lean protein like chicken and fish.
    Drink lots of water
    Doing a 365 Mile Challenge = Walking or Running 365 Miles before the near year = at least a mile a day.
    Working out - got a gym membership
    Getting off the couch - haha I had to suspend my netflix membership so I wasn't tempted to stay put.

Those are some of the major things I've changed.
    Still tweaking what works best for me and my new lifestyle.
    Good luck on your journey!

Anyone feel free to add me :-)
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    portion control is number ONE!

Healthy choices is number TWO!

Moving is number THREE!!

I lost 21 pounds in 2012 and intend to lose 30 this year. I started walking - throw in a couple squats and touch toes and twisty at the waist thingers here and there...moving makes you have more energy. once you see the scale move it gives you more motivation to keep going!

Good Luck!!

This pretty much sums it up.
  • RPerkins726
    Options
    I've lost 38 lbs since August 2012. I drink at least 12 glasses of water EVER DAY. I exercise 5-6 days a week (cardio is an absolute MUST to shed the lbs) and eatbetween 1200-1500 calories/day. Devin Alexander has a few cookbooks with great (read simple to make, tasty, appropriate portion sizes) recipes--I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening and The Most Decadent Diet Ever. (I don't do organic, but try to stick to her recommendations otherwise). Best of luck to you!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Same here. 50 pounds year 1, 24 year 2.

Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This is a great way to calculate calorie intake and a great plan to follow if you want to lose fat. Check out my profile pix. Pictures don't like. More than 30 pounds gone since August and more than 10% bf lost and from size 16 to a size 8.