Anxiety and depression= Lack of motivation :(

Options

Replies

• Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Anxiety and was treated for depression in the past. I do find that exercising helped to control the anxiety. I haven't been to the gym in a few months and I find that my anxiety is increasing. If you can't go a gym, find an exercise video that you can do from home. It might help.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    First off you really need to speak to a doctor. I spent a long time on anti-depressants but came off them a few years ago and although I still suffer from the occasional bout, it's nothing like as bad as it was and after having the breathing space that the tablets gave me, I think I'm better able to cope now.

The thing that helps me get through the downtime is music, I put on the songs that I know cheer me up and I dance. I make it as silly as possible and just have fun. I haven't done it for a while as I've been feeling pretty optimistic, but after some recent bad news I'll be doing it every day, to cheer myself up and help lose weight - as you can really work up a sweat.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    It helps me to remind myself to make one right choice. Protein over cookies, exercise (even a short walk) over couch sitting. Making a right choice makes the next one easier. Right choices snowball the same way poor ones do--and if your choices are 90% healthful, you are well on your way to sucess.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned finding a professional counselor to work with. No shame in getting a problem treated. Depression is pretty common and treatable. Don't let it drag you down.

Good luck and add me if you wish.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Exercise will make a huge difference, but if you are seriously unmotivated, it's hard to get out and do it.....If that is the case start slow with long walks or dancing to your favorite music - that will boost your mood dramatically, then move on to more structured stuff like a gym if you can.

I do go through this regularly, which is why I have gained so much weight over the years, so I commend you for getting to the root of it now while you are young and have your healthy life ahead of you!!!

If it happens often, consider the possibility of a medical condition - mine turned out to be ADHD - undiagnosed for years. Once I got the medication, the anxiety and depression was gone. I still have left over bad habits from years of messy eating, but my mood and attitude are really amazingly improved, I guess because I now can focus for extended periods of time on the goals that matter to me:smile:

That's just me. Really commit to get to the reasons for your own anxiety and depression and handle that, because it will continue to derail you if you don't.

I am not adding friends right now, but I welcome messages for extended discussions:heart:
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    When you work out, do you do that at home or somewhere else?
  • MissVamp13
    Options
    I know I can overcome this but I honestly thought it would be easier than this :( I want this weight gone so bad, once I learn to handle my problems better im hoping it will become easier x
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I suffer from pretty bad anxiety and depression. I recently started mindful meditation. This was suggested to me by my counselor. There are a whole bunch of these vidoes on YouTube that are guided for beginners.

There are also a ton of videos on You Tube for yoga. I try to do yoga twice a week. If you can't get to a gym can you go running/walking? I find that when I incorporate some really good high intesity (for me) cardio that really, really helps.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I also suffer. Exercise at home. You can buy the video/dvd/blueray or find some on Pinterest or youtube. It does help. As do proper medications if you are a chronic sufferer as I am. Also, consider investing in a 'happy light'. $60 - 70 US and they help during those gloomy months.

motivation can be hard to summon for me with two kids and so much going on. but, i decided that for once in my life, i need to put 'me' first. i feel guilty as hell taking them from school/daycare and dropping them in the daycare at the gym, but i remind myself that by doing so, i am making a fitter, healthier mama for them on the weekends and a good example for them to look up to. i don't think any of us have the answer to what will motivate you -- you need to look inward and decide that for yourself. swimsuit season? maybe make plans for a vacation this summer and have an attainable goal to reach by that time? whatever works for you. but you can do it. :)
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i had probs with anxiety back in 2011 and had to take Ativan for a while, I had a lot of medical issues and wasn't sure I was going to live. Even afterwards, when I was on the mend, the shock from it all still shook me to the core. It took me a while to regain control of my life. Honestly, at that time in my life, there was no way i could focus on losing weight and all that. I had to let myself be ready for it. I will say though, that since I started jogging again and taking better care of myself, I have been off of Ativan, sleeping well, much better moods and outlook on life. I think I reached a point where I was just ready to take my life back, and then taking better care of myself sealed the deal. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Depression is a painful thing to live with, I lived it with it for years before going to a doctor. If it's a clinical depression you really need to see a dr. No amount of exercise or positive thinking will help lift the cloud that hangs over you. Those things will help you to feel better once you're on the mend of course! Don't leave it too long, there are many ways to treat anxiety and depression and no one needs to live feeling so awful.
  • lordyimlardy
    Options
    Hey Miss vamp, if your anxieties are making you struggle to feel at ease in social settings why dont you give guided meditation a go? Do a search on youtube there are loads of great ones on there that you can listen to for free.
    They may just give your spirits the lift they need. :)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I suffer from pretty bad anxiety and depression. I recently started mindful meditation. This was suggested to me by my counselor. There are a whole bunch of these vidoes on YouTube that are guided for beginners.

There are also a ton of videos on You Tube for yoga. I try to do yoga twice a week. If you can't get to a gym can you go running/walking? I find that when I incorporate some really good high intesity (for me) cardio that really, really helps.

This too ^^^^. I also meditate and find that I do get the 'runner's high' after high intensity cardio. it feels so good!
  • trgobble
    trgobble Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I have always been the type that drinks Mountain Dew or gets cookies or something if I'm down. It's also making me MORE sad that I can't eat what I want! Having a cheat day to look forward to has helped me to eat better regardless of my emotions. As for working out, I cannot motivate myself to leave my house, especially in the winter months. I have Zumba and Just Dance for Wii and have found that I can motivate myself to do that, even if for just 10 minutes. On the days I'm feeling it, I'll do 20+. On the days I'm not, I'll do one song and stop, but at least I did it.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No gym necessary, no special diet necessary... track your calories, eat at a deficit, and move more. 134 pounds since July 1st. Be brutally honest about your calories... what you eat and how much you move... Log what you do... Move more tomorrow than today. You can succeed if you focus and seek to learn and apply what you learn every chance you get!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Id love to honestly, but my personal problems wont allow me. Im not making excuses honestly lol. New year I tried going back to my local sports centre, and couldnt stay :(

you can workout at home

I'm recovering from PTSD, so totally get you re how debilitating depression and anxiety can be. Personally, I found that doing strenuous exercise has really helped, and as hard as it can be to get motivated, it's worth it to push myself to do it. It removes the stress hormones from your system (i.e. you get rid of a lot of the symptoms of anxiety) and it releases endorphines that make you feel better. It only relieves the symptoms, not the cause, but in my experience it makes such a difference.

If you can't get as far as working out in the gym, there's a lot of stuff you can do at home. I have my own weights and a treadmill and a punch bag, you can get a lot of stuff on the 2nd hand market (ebay, etc) so you don't have to fork out a lot.

If you're not already doing some kind of therapy, I'd totally recommend that as well, but make sure the therapist is experienced at dealing with the exact problem that you have. All of what I said about exercise only relieves the symptoms it doesn't cure the cause. but the combination of therapy and lifestyle changes (the main one being exercise) has really helped.

I could have written this, but it's already here. Although I also take a daily med for my PTSD, I find exercise (running for me) does more to keep the hyper-arousal & anxiety symptoms under control than the meds do. I highly recommend some type of therapy/counseling to address the cause(s) and medication if there's a chemical imbalance causing some of the issues. But exercise has turned my life around completely. And I run, I don't go to the gym, ever.
  • vchristie0811
    vchristie0811 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So great to read that women are willing to share their personal struggles with depression and anxiety. I've struggled with depression for years after an ugly divorce and child alienation (have barely talked to my kids in years) and still trying to make ends meet after paying all the lawyers, moving house, new job, new marriage, new baby - I could go on (and usually do). I finally went on a medication I could stick with (Viibryd) thanks to a Nurse Practitioner that takes the time to make sure I stay on track. Finding the right doctor - that you're comfortable with - is essential!!

I'm trying to kick my sugar intake (ok - I have to face it, sugar addiction) down a notch and find a way to fit in exercise like walking. But it is so hard when to do - I totally understand - it's like, how can I put this..like trying to swim in jello - does that make sense?? Everyone's advice here has been spot on - exercise, one day at a time, set achievable goals and celebrate small victories.

Please add me as a friend!
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with anxiety (GAD, OCD) and depression since I was 10. I'm 27 now. I've taken numerous medications, been hospitalized, you name it, I've dealt with it. ...that being said, one of the most effective solutions for me has been exercise, especially solitary exercise (running, walking, anything I can do alone). That and CBT. Exercise won't work out your issues for you, but it will have a positive effect on your mental state, allowing you to work on whatever is causing you to be depressed and/or anxious on your own or in CBT. Also, some things that have had a PROFOUND effect on me were eliminating caffeine, eating clean (I cut out fast food completely which has helped a lot), and getting enough rest. None of these things on their own (with the exception of perhaps CBT) will do the trick completely, but in combination, they can take you a long way.

I know with both anxiety and depression, starting something new can be really hard, and so can sticking with it in it's initial phases. I suggest a lot of pre-planning of food, exercise, rest, etc, so you don't any points in the first few days where you don't know what to do, because it's way easier to give up when you don't have a clear understanding of what to do next. Also, have something to counteract repetitive negative thoughts, if that's an issue for you. I find both writing in a journal, and having a 'mantra' so to speak, to be helpful. Some people like giving themselves a time during the day with which they can ruminate, but I didn't personally find that very effective. I look at it like this, it's easier for me to avoid a bag of potato chips completely then it is to just eat a few and then walk away. What also worked well for me was writing down things that triggered my anxiety, and avoiding those things like the plague. Honestly, just the process of sitting down and identifying what made me anxious was helpful in itself, because you can't fix a problem you can't identify.

Good luck! ...you can get through this, I promise.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from anxiety and depression. My weight loss and health journey has been long and is ongoing and is rarely consistant.

It is true that eating healthier, exercising regularly (like 20-30 mins of areobic exercise a few days a week) help with depression and anxiety.

I have found that regular sleep patterns and vitamins really help.
    I only recently went off of daily medication.

Some days I can't even get out of bed and then some weeks I'm this awesome healthy workout machine. That's cool - it's just how I am.

It's true that it interferes with everything sometimes.
    try - lower carbs & sugar, more vitamins and stuff like omega 3s, regular sleep patterns-even if you need like melatonin to accomplish it, aerobic exercise. Google "natural way to fight depression" and so on. Check out some self help books.

Aside from health things - the most important thing to do is to accept what you've got and learn coping skills.
    You don't have to be perfect all the time. You just need to not let it control you :):)
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Exactly what i'm dealing with right now! :(
  • knyagrl
    Options
    I've had depression for years, and also have discovered that I eat more (and worse) when I'm upset. So if you figure out a trick to breaking that habit (anyone??), let me know.

But I agree with what lots of others have said, that for me, working out literally does make me feel better. It took me a while to find workouts that I enjoyed, and thus would stick with, but it is worth it. Even doing 10-15 a day is a start, then I try and go longer the next time. And one bad day - not a huge deal. :) Don't give up - there are lots of us here who understand your pain, have gone through some similar things, and can testify that it's possible to reach the other side.