So what's your excuse?

Lately I've been thinking about what I used to blame my lack of progress on...What initially got me onto this site is a few pounds I gained during college.

I don't have a lot to lose and I'm working hard...but I stopped to think about the things I told myself when I started my journey versus what I now realize to be my stumbling block...

What was I blaming my lack of weight loss/progress on? What was my excuse?

I'll go first. I blamed my weight gain and current lack of weight loss on my birth control pill. I thought it made me put on 10 lbs and now I can't lose them...The truth is that I like to eat. I wasn't working out enough for the amount of calories I wanted to consume, whether it was alcohol or a dessert...

So now that I went first...what is your excuse? What are you blaming right now....I found this exercise to be very liberating for myself...it also made me more aware of what I blamed in my life for my lack of progress. Hope it does the same for you.

Replies

• daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    I started my journey at a pitiful 6 stone 12 lbs and initially didn't think it was that bad - people thought I looked good and I thought I was healthy. When I got to uni, I was 7 stone 2 lbs and blamed my inability to gain weight on my metabolism, then my thyroid. After I went to the doctor's, they told me my thyroid was fine and I just needed to eat more.

Right now, I'm not really blaming anything/anyone except myself. I want to gain weight, so I have to make the effort.
  • trgobble
    trgobble Posts: 51 Member
    My excuse was similar--I started taking the Pill, I was in college and didn't have the time to run around like I did in high school, I'm getting older so OF COURSE my metabolism is slowing down...but in reality, I love me some Mountain Dew and I love me some dessert, and I HATE to work out. So I'm working on it, while still realizing that I AM getting older and my body IS going to change...so I'm going to have to change my lifestyle with it.
  • weemes01
    weemes01 Posts: 13 Member
    Oh how the pill was my excuse for the longest time... I hear you ladies there!

Now my excuse is nursing. I need extra calories or my supply goes down and it makes me ravenous. I've been using that excuse for 17 months now and really I should have given it up 5 months ago. Truth is I love food... love to eat junk and sit on the couch and watch tv after my kids go to bed. I also love WINE!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Oh let's see...

I've blamed my 6 year old baby weight, stress, working night shift, my husband's deployment, and anything besides the truth, which is my love for food and hatred for exercise.

There are 2 threads about birth control and weight gain right now and reading the excuses makes me want to pull my hair out.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    My hands are full taking care of everyone else, I don't have time to take care of myself......great excuse....almost puts me to saint status....i'm so selfless doing for others i just can't make it to the gym....and should eat fast food.....omg...wow. Funny the things we tell ourselves when reality hurts & we seek bandaids for life and shoving our faces full of unneeded food ....taking care of one's self is the hardest thing to do....and the easiest to put off.....
  • beasilvac
    beasilvac Posts: 24 Member
    "I'll start monday"
    "I just don´t have the time"
    " I'm too tired to work out"
    "Oh, just one bread won´t make any difference"( one, yeah right)
    "I normally don´t eat this much, but I haven´t eaten anything today" (try breakfast and all sorts of snacks)
    "I'm too stressed out to diet"
    "it's rainning"
    "it's too cold outside"
    "I don´t like the sweaty machines at the gym"
    "I'm too fat to go to the gym"

I could go on, but guess u have plenty of ur own too, right?

Oh and if u have concerns about the pill, switch to the ring, it has worked great for me, and I don´t have to worry about forgeting anymore :)
  • HealthyNowForever
    HealthyNowForever Posts: 45 Member
    I really never thought I was that fat. I think denial was my biggest excuse.
  • Great topic for a post. My excuse was always “I’m just one of those people who doesn’t like working out. If I liked working out then of course, I’d look great and be ripped and what not.” Well truth be told, I STILL don’t really like working out. But I like the results I’ve seen from being dedicated to doing it.

So that WAS my excuse :bigsmile:
  • SRT4twg
    SRT4twg Posts: 35 Member

^^^This^^^ Nobody every said to me your fat so for some reason when I looked in the mirror I was able to convince myself I wasn't.
  • "I'm too tired"
    "I worked REALLY hard today"
    "I'm just so NOT in the mood to deal with gym" (Hi. I WORK at a YMCA LOL)
    "Only eating Wendy's once in a while won't hurt"
    "It's cheaper to super size, you get more value. I mean, since I'm here anyway."
    "I forgot my gym sneakers at home." (ummmmm, I wear sneakers 24/7 LOL)
    "This coupon expires today, I totally HAVE to go to McD's today"
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    I am working full-time and going to school full-time
    It's raining and I can't walk the track that is 100 feet from my front door in the rain
    The living room is now too small to work out in since we bought the new furniture
    The guys (hubby and kids) tease me whenever I do attempt to work out
    I am too tired today/tonight....maybe I will tomorrow
    Too much to do this weekend
    I have to catch up on all my FB games or I will not get those extra points/credits
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    "Nigella Lawson is overweight too"
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    I am working full-time and going to school full-time
    It's raining and I can't walk the track that is 100 feet from my front door in the rain
    The living room is now too small to work out in since we bought the new furniture
    The guys (hubby and kids) tease me whenever I do attempt to work out
    I am too tired today/tonight....maybe I will tomorrow
    Too much to do this weekend
    I have to catch up on all my FB games or I will not get those extra points/credits

I used the small apartment excuse a lot in college...as well as the "The other girls at the gym look better than me/smaller than me. I will work out somewhere that nobody else is around."

Also used the too tired excuse a lot after work, so I started going BEFORE work...that got rid of that excuse.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Excuse? I am married to a chef (he is retired now) and I like to eat (especially chocolate and other sweets; I am a sugar addict)

I love exercise; I exercise a lot and often...however weight loss is 99% in the kitchen not the gym
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    My best and poorest excuse was that I was on Prozac and BC at the same time, and believed that Prozac/SSRI's in general would hinder weight loss and/or cause weight gain.

I realized that I was most likely doomed to lose any weight because of the prescription I was taking. I had also realized I hadn't been actually eating enough calories (was at 1200 a day). I upped my intake to 1500 calories a day for 2 weeks with my usual 4-5 days of exercise, and still, frustratingly, had lost no weight. The flipside? I had actually lost a combined 6 inches around my body from lifting free weights and cardio. The lack of change in the scale was most likely from increasing some muscle mass, as the change in my body/clothes fitting was slightly noticeable. :)

Also as a plus, I've gone off of the prozac and switched to more natural supplements such as a combo of Deproloft-HF and 5-HTP (for OCD thoughts), Inositol (for anxiety), Vitamin D (for mood), and an excellent high potency HTC probiotic to help restart my gut bacteria, which I learned is where the main production of serotonin takes place! :)
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    "I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took an excuse. ~Florence Nightingale"
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    "I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took an excuse. ~Florence Nightingale"

Word.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    I blamed my body: :embarassed:

"I'm just not meant to be slim. My natural body type is heavy, and I'll never be able to lose the rolls or see my abs."

Terrible excuse.

I was utterly underestimating my body: it is TOTALLY capable of doing more than I ever allowed myself to imagine. Also (see recent progress pics), my abs are starting to show :D
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    "I'm have a large frame" - which when I actually did lose weight, it turns out a really have a small frame!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member

When I lost 30# I can't even count the number of people that said, "I never thought you were big to begin with!"

REALLY?? I was a point away from the obese category. I saw a picture of myself (when I was my lowest weight in 10 years) and I could not believe how big i was! I thought I looked good. That picture was a real eye opener