Protein options

Options

Replies

• Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd like input as well, seeing as how my 1.5 scoops of muscle milk protein powder mixed in water (225 calories. I'd mix it in soy milk but it would go bad during my gym workout) never is enough to keep my hunger at bay after a workout, and i have an hour and 20 minute commute ahead of me. So I end up being so hungry that when I do get home, I overeat >_<

Also, if possible, I'd oike to avoid snacks with peanut butter. I love it so much but it's a trigger food and i have a hard time controlling myself with it. To those who would suggest portioning it out into baggies---I've tried...but that takes time AND i just end up eating a good deal out of the jar while portioning it out anyways!

Have you tried the single serve peanut butter cups? No chance to overeat because you can just carry one cup at a time so you can't have another even if you wanted to and since they are prepackaged you can't snack while splitting them up! I personally like the Jif-To-Go reduced fat but they make them in several varieties (creamy, crunchy, chocolate, natural).

As for OPs question. Try looking in the supplement section of your local store (Target, Walmart, Kmart). They have many many options for high protein snacks, mostly prepackaged snack bars and drinks. If you are looking for something more "natural" check out this site: http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable. It takes a little more effort to pull this together then the prepackaged stuff but it's also healthier :)

I've only seen Jiff's single serve ones and they contain 250 calories! A normal serving of peanutbutter contains 190 calories.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    awesome tips...

jifs to go sound good but arent they one of the brands that have more additives to the peanut butter than just peanuts...
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    awesome tips...
    jifs to go sound good but arent they one of the brands that have more additives to the peanut butter than just peanuts...

Depends on the kind you get. Jif does offer a "natural" option which doesn't have all the additives.
    I've only seen Jiff's single serve ones and they contain 250 calories! A normal serving of peanutbutter contains 190 calories.

Yes Jif is the easiest to find and the only one I've found in stores which is why I referenced it. Your right though it is high in calories because it is more then a single serving. So since we are talking about portion control I will direct you to http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/peanut-butter-packs.html. Amazon has a ton of options for single serve to but you have to google the nutritional information since it isn't readily available.

Better yet have you tried almond butter? It is healthier and of course more expensive because isn't everything that is good for you more expensive?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Nuts are really easy to take with you as snacks.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    NYC, eh? I hear pigeon is pretty high in protein.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs are a great portable protein snack.

In regard to the peanut butter, what about just portioning the peanut butter into a bunch of small containers or baggies and freezing them ahead of time? Then even if you eat the pb out of the jar while doing that, it's only one day not every day. Freezing will help you keep from eating the pb all at once.

Just spitballin' here lol
  • teelow22
    teelow22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! These are great ideas I may incorporate today!!! :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    cheese
    cottage cheese
    nuts
    protein bars
    hard boiled eggs
    jerky - beef or turkey
    turkey sausage bites
    emerald breakfast on the go
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you go into 'search' and type 'protein snacks' you will find that there are loads and loads of threads that have run this question previoously so hopefully you should pick up a few tips from them . Good luck! x
  • anumberger
    Options
    If your not a fan of Greek yogurt (watch out for sugar content by the way! some have 22 g in just one 6oz cup!), turkey pepperoni is easy to throw in a bag and take with, turkey bacon isnt a terrible choice and easy if u can just pop it in the microwave for a few mins. I also just eat 1/2 cup of old fashion oats, sprinkled with some splenda (150 cals, 6g protein, 4g fiber to stay full).

Protein bars and other items similar to that aren't a bad choice, but make sure you are looking at the sugar and fat in them. I try and keep my sugar low, hence all the references to checking the labels for it.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs are a great portable protein snack.

In regard to the peanut butter, what about just portioning the peanut butter into a bunch of small containers or baggies and freezing them ahead of time? Then even if you eat the pb out of the jar while doing that, it's only one day not every day. Freezing will help you keep from eating the pb all at once.

Just spitballin' here lol

Ooooh i really like the idea of freezing them!
  • kmbaqui
    Options
    Greek yogurt
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I eat lentils as a side with my lunch or dinner entree. Last night, for example was half a chicken breast and 2/3 cup of lentils. Filling and a good protein and fiber source.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    For all you Peanut Butter lovers out there who can't live without it but hate the calories>>>>>>>PB2 is the way to go!!!

I'm a true Peanut Butter lover myself and was curious about trying PB2 (hear so much about it).
    2 T. of PB2 mixed with 1 T. water..... 45 calories per serving, low sodium, It's heavenly :love: :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Tuna!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I must not be prescient, since I'm incredulous that the MFP bureaucracy hasn't been more vocal about suggesting protein powder. Mine has 115 calories and 26g protein per scoop, which makes it easy to hit my macros.

That said, nuts are always a great source of protein, too.
  • Tifftat
    Tifftat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Turkey Jerky is one of my favorites. Trader Joes has good Jerky with no MSG and only 60 calories per serving. I like it :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Liquid protein shots. Convenient and easy to carry with you so you have them when you need them.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif