Protein options

Options

Replies

• shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelets are what I like. Great way for me to sneak in veggies.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    there's always lots of meal you can make but if we go easy and quick ...

Tuna can
    Egg white
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    protein bars (pure protein bars are the cheapest and very high protein for the size and price..around 20g)
    Pepperettes (love them, turkey ones are great)
    If you can handle it...Sardines are good too.
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Go buy some unflavoured (yes there is a 'u 'in 'flavour', i am Canadian!) protein power and start adding partial scoops to things like yogurt, cereal, soup, salad, etc. Generally you can add in a little protein to pretty much anything that has enough liquid to dissolve it...my favourite is in yogurt and mashed potatoes
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'd like input as well, seeing as how my 1.5 scoops of muscle milk protein powder mixed in water (225 calories. I'd mix it in soy milk but it would go bad during my gym workout) never is enough to keep my hunger at bay after a workout, and i have an hour and 20 minute commute ahead of me. So I end up being so hungry that when I do get home, I overeat >_<

Also, if possible, I'd oike to avoid snacks with peanut butter. I love it so much but it's a trigger food and i have a hard time controlling myself with it. To those who would suggest portioning it out into baggies---I've tried...but that takes time AND i just end up eating a good deal out of the jar while portioning it out anyways!

You can try mixing a tbsp of peanut butter into plain yogurt, I use Chobani 0% plain + 1 tbsp of Trader Joe's Creamy unsalted it adds up to 22 grams of protein and 195 calories (then for another 30 calories I add 10 grams of honey just to sweeten it up a bit). It is soooo filling and then that peanut buttery goodness lasts longer. You can eat it as is or dip apple slices, celery or banana into it.

To the OP - I work in NYC as well, but I always pack my meals and snacks, for me it is the best way to get more protein for my caloric (and literal) buck. The bucket of food I bring to work is almost embarrassing. My food diary is open if you want ideas.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Liquid protein shots. Convenient and easy to carry with you so you have them when you need them.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

I'm reading that in the totally wrong context.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky or Vegan Dream jerky if you wanna mix it up.

This. Couldn't be simpler or easier to maintain. I buy the huge Jack Links bags and keep them in my bottom desk drawer
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I think whey and eggs are the only protein foods out there, unless scientists have synthesized something lately.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

They make veg jerky! MUST FIND!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Liquid protein shots. Convenient and easy to carry with you so you have them when you need them.

I'm reading that in the totally wrong context.

Haha. No...you're reading it right. ;) Let me know what Brown can do for you! :)
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    nuts, jerky, chicken breast, cheese, hard boiled eggs (don't buy these silly, make them at home!), cottage cheese, yogurt.... :)
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    - Nuts
    - string cheese/individually wrapped cheese portions
    - beef jerky
    - peanut butter
    - protein bars
    - muscle milk
    - greek yoghurt
    - cottage cheese
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    great options.... keep it coming
  • Mikaylajayney
    Mikaylajayney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of cottage cheese with 4oz of cucumber and 5oz of grape tomatoes. It's 210 calories and 33g of protein. I keep it in a lunch bag with a couple of ice packs and it keeps from 6am until 3pm without an issue. Greek yogurt is another one that is fairly high in protein. Outside of that, nuts have some protein (not as much as the above options though).

ADD HOT SAUCE!

If you're a hot sauce fan, that is... it's great with some low fat crackers... just like hot wings... except... well... it's cottage cheese.
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    Jerky. Quest protein bars. Almonds. Slice of ezekial bread with nut butter.
  • proudmommy_iam
    Options
    Your meats are protein...a few of the leanest are tilapia, mahi mahi, crab, shrimp, 98% lean meat or even egg whites...then you have things that are lean...steak, roast, tuna, salmon - so you avoid more fats with those
  • niseynisey
    niseynisey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :-O shocked no one has mentioned SHRIMP! They're on sale at ShopRite. 2lb bag for $10 (with a peel & tail). $12 (without the peel). I prefer w/ the peel because it locks in the flavor! I'll either boil them for a couple minutes or throw them in a pan for a couple minutes with seasoning. I throw it on my salad OR have it with a little cocktail sauce. 3oz or 4oz shouldn't kill your cholesterol levels :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

They make veg jerky! MUST FIND!

Look for Primal Strips as well - its like a juicy jerky. You get 11g protein for 99 cals.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, fish (tilapia, salmon, crab, shrimp, mussels, ect.) , chicken (breasts, thighs, drumsticks, tenderloins,) lean ground beef, eggs as you said, nuts and of course protein powder/ protein shakes/ bars.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    shrimp and sodium.... isnt shrimp loaded with sodium?

how do you combat that?
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump