WOW!!!! 10 Pounds in one week...

Options
I was watching the Biggest Loser last night…there was a female who lost 10 Ibs in one week….she wasn’t excessively overweight….I know they workout maybe 4 hours a day. However you always hear people saying don’t over train…I know she’s not doing the TDEE-%20 method…I’m sure she wasn’t eating 3000 cals a day. My concern is everyone always advise you if you hit a plateau…to increase your cals, your training too hard for the cals you’re eating..blah…blah..blah…and yet its working for here and the rest of the contestants…makes you think..

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The measure of weight loss success is not in how fast you lose it, but in whether you manage to keep it off.

It'd be interesting to see a study of all Bigger Loser contestants 5 years down the line to see how many of them have maintained their loss.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Its not like they're on some fad diet....they're working hard
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Most contestants on the Biggest Loser gain back the weight they lost after the show is over. They are exercising 6-7 hours a day; intense workouts too. In that kind of environment of course they will lose crazy amounts of weight. What they are doing on that show isn't sustainable, which is one of the reasons they gain back weight. They go back to their lives where they have to work and deal with all the stresses and factors that were there before they went to the camp.
  • MsPudding
    Options
    Its not like they're on some fad diet....they're working hard

They are on a TV show; giving up their normal life to spend most of their day exercising and having their food monitored. What happens when the TV show is over and they have to resume their normal lives; their jobs, the school runs, the family BBQs?
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You guys are hung up on the TV aspect of it...I'm not concerned if they gain their weight back....What I'm saying is..weight lost can be done at a calorie deficit and rigorous training....people on this site seem to think the contrary..don’t get ,e wrong..I love this site
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    They're also are dehydrated when they weigh in. That might have something to do with it.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show, but most things I've read suggest that a "week" on the show is usually more than 7 days.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    No one is saying that you can't lose weight if you overtrain and diet. Keeping that weight off is a different story. In one week they didn't lose 10 pounds of fat.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    No duh weight loss can be 'done at a calorie deficit and rigorous training'. It can also be done at a moderate calorie deficit and a more reasonable training program. Do you have time in your day to train for 6 hours? Do you have countless doctors watching your every move in case your body gives out and you cause yourself some serious bodily harm?

And don't get me started on the mental harm of this damn show. I'm 100% certain every single contestant leaves with some form of an eating disorder.
  • MsPudding
    Options
    You guys are hung up on the TV aspect of it...I'm not concerned if they gain their weight back....What I'm saying is..weight lost can be done at a calorie deficit and rigorous training....people on this site seem to think the contrary..don’t get ,e wrong..I love this site

I'm concerned that they gain the weight back because that leaves The Biggest Loser being the equivalent of a modern-day freak show....come have a laugh at the fatty training themselves to death and guess what, when we dump them they'll put it all back on again and damage their health. Woo hoo!

I haven't seen a single person say that if you restrict calories enough and train to death you won't lose weight...of course you will, but you'll also damage your health. I did a VLCD of 500 calories a day for 4 months and lost nearly 60lbs....and then I came off it because a) it wasn't sustainable and b) blood tests told me that my red blood cell Magnesium levels were dangerously low, my B12 levels were down and my hormones were messed up. I put ALL the weight back on in around 6 months and was worse off (higher body fat percentage) than I was when I started.

It's not about losing weight, it's about being healthy and making small, sustainable lifestyle changes that can be maintained - often for life.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i hate t think of the damage they are doing to their metabolism while on that show. if they thought it was bad before... yikes
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I watched a follow up, and more kept the weight off than a average people. Reckon if you manage to stay a while, they've done a lot of work on you psychologically and you'll do well. They eat smart and exercise smarter! It is more than you can do in everyday life, but it clearly works! I actually think it's a great programme and it's great how they do work on them psychologically which for most Obese people is incredibly important! X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i hate t think of the damage they are doing to their metabolism while on that show. if they thought it was bad before... yikes
    Judging by the people who've kept large amounts of I'd say their metabolism are fine. People worry about that way too much in my opinion. Eating 400 calories and netting 400 calories is totally different and a concept many don't understand.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The measure of weight loss success is not in how fast you lose it, but in whether you manage to keep it off.

It'd be interesting to see a study of all Bigger Loser contestants 5 years down the line to see how many of them have maintained their loss.

I agree.

TBL goes against everything sensible about weight loss. If you think about it, regular exercise, portion control and sensible choices are all done to the extreme in TBL to get optimal results in the fastest possible time. This is simply not sustainable. As we all know, good weight loss and maintaining that employs all thre of these tactics, but far less intensively.

When they go back to their real lives, most gain again simply because when you have a full time job, kids etc, you cannot exercise for hours a day and that is actually how they get most of their calorie deficit.

The principles are there, but the show is nothing more than entertainment, so don't expect the same kind of losses.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Please read this before you start looking at Biggest Loser for weight loss tips:

Part 1: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
    Part 2: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/16/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-2-of-3/
    Part 3: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/23/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-3-of-3/

It's an interview with one of the finalists from season 3. This really shows, plainly and clearly, how horribly unhealthy the show is and also the "freak show" aspect of it. Yes, some of the contestants keep the weight off after, many also develop horrible eating disorders and many put it back on because they never learned how to fit eating right and exercising into a normal lifestyle. Also, a BL week can be anywhere from 5 days to 2+ weeks AND a lot of that weight loss is horrible forced dehydration.

No thank you, I'll take my 1-2 pounds a week by counting calories and exercising an hour or so daily.
  • MsPudding
    Options
    I watched a follow up, and more kept the weight off than a average people. Reckon if you manage to stay a while, they've done a lot of work on you psychologically and you'll do well. They eat smart and exercise smarter! It is more than you can do in everyday life, but it clearly works! I actually think it's a great programme and it's great how they do work on them psychologically which for most Obese people is incredibly important! X

Was the follow-up one of those where they pick a handful of previous popular contestants to check up on, or did it give hard data on total number of participants across all seasons and a break-down of how many had kept the weight off, how many had continued to lose and how many gained?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show, but most things I've read suggest that a "week" on the show is usually more than 7 days.

THIS

Editing at its finest.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was watching the Biggest Loser last night…there was a female who lost 10 Ibs in one week….she wasn’t excessively overweight….I know they workout maybe 4 hours a day. However you always hear people saying don’t over train…I know she’s not doing the TDEE-%20 method…I’m sure she wasn’t eating 3000 cals a day. My concern is everyone always advise you if you hit a plateau…to increase your cals, your training too hard for the cals you’re eating..blah…blah..blah…and yet its working for here and the rest of the contestants…makes you think..

10 lbs of fat? Or 10 lbs of water and muscle as well.... Cause that's less impressive...
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Judging by the people who've kept large amounts of I'd say their metabolism are fine. People worry about that way too much in my opinion. Eating 400 calories and netting 400 calories is totally different and a concept many don't understand.

netting 400 calories is in no way healthy. period.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you don't see everything on the show. There is a lot that goes on off camera to help them reach those crazy loss amounts.

They eat very little and exercise for hours upon hours each day. It is definately not healthy. They have doctors there sure but what happens when they leave the show. A lot of them have tough times trying to keep the weight off since they lost a decent chunk of muscle along the way.

Far too many people try to get weekl losses like the people on the show. The show is terrible in my opinion because they do not lose in a healthy way.