WOW!!!! 10 Pounds in one week...

Options

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    considering 1 Lb of fat = 3,500 calories I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that most of that 10 lb loss was water. You know...science and stuff. Nobody loses 10 Lbs of lard in a week.

they were in week 7 or 8

He is saying it is not all fat. weighing in while dehydrated could show a drastic loss on anyone. Doesn't mean it's actually a fat loss.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    From everything I have read, when they weigh in and tell you its been a week, its usually longer than that time frame. Anything for entertainment!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i hate t think of the damage they are doing to their metabolism while on that show. if they thought it was bad before... yikes
    Judging by the people who've kept large amounts of I'd say their metabolism are fine. People worry about that way too much in my opinion. Eating 400 calories and netting 400 calories is totally different and a concept many don't understand.

netting 400 calories is in no way healthy. period.

Depends on your weight. It's fine if your very overweight. It reversed my high blood pressure , high heart rate and reversed my type 2.diabetes. Once you get close to goal it isn't healthy, but when over weight it's fine I've worked with many professionals, and my stats show it's done me good. My bloods are now perfect. I know once I get to 180lbs I'll increase calories, but for now it's absolutely fine, just as it is for BL contestants.

Also on 6 months bed rest, I maintained weight whilst eating a good amount, so my metabolism is fine. I'm not saying 400 net is right forever, but it's fie when you have a lot to lose!

so you don't think that you would have been able to achieve those same results if you would have eaten at 20%, or even 25% if you have a lot of weight to lose, under your TDEE? You think you still would have had high BP and your diabetes wouldn't have been controllable with a good, healthy diet?

My diabetes isn't controlled it's reversed! All the research shows low nets are needed for that, so no I don't think 20/25 would have been suitable for me.
  • Tezra7
    Options
    You said a mouthful. And I have seen a few of the most popular Biggest Loser contestants after a few years. They gained it all back.
  • ShaneNelson
    Options
    Most of that is definitely water weight. Its so unhealthy to lose more than 2 lbs of fat a week.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    considering 1 Lb of fat = 3,500 calories I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that most of that 10 lb loss was water. You know...science and stuff. Nobody loses 10 Lbs of lard in a week.

they were in week 7 or 8

He is saying it is not all fat. weighing in while dehydrated could show a drastic loss on anyone. Doesn't mean it's actually a fat loss.

Not even remotely suggesting that I think anything about the Biggest Loser is healthy. That said...

In week 1, when they're losing 20+ pounds a piece, yes, probably most of that is absolutely water weight. However, if they're dehydrated every weigh in, then the change from week to week *can't* be water weight, right? Because if they were dehydrated at the point of the last weigh in, then there's no water weight to lose at the next weigh in? Or at least very little. You know what I mean?
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss is not the enemy, especially in the beginning of the weight loss journey. Also, it really doesn't play a big part on whether you maintain or not. See the research:

"Our study provides further evidence that, within the context of lifestyle treatment, losing weight at a fast initial rate leads to greater short-term weight reductions, does not result in increased susceptibility to weight regain, and is associated with larger weight losses and overall long-term success in weight management," the authors write in the International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. http://www.livescience.com/9907-surprising-diet-tip-lose-weight-quickly.html

"Collectively, findings indicate both short- and long-term advantages to fast initial weight loss. Fast weight losers obtained greater weight reduction and long-term maintenance, and were not more susceptible to weight regain than gradual weight losers."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20443094

Interesting enough, the research defines "fast weight-loss" at a rate of 2lbs per week... Hmmm.

Most people who lose this amount of weight in short periods of time usually are obese (BMI>30), are under medical supervision, and follow a plan so strict that would really be imposible to keep long-term. This is why a lot of them fail in the long run.

I, personally, do not believe in the "increase your calories to lose" approach. To each his own.
  • healthyloserxxx
    Options
    What does 400 net mean? For ex: 1200 cals but work off 800 so net 400?
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser is great, inspiring and all that, but severely unrealistic for most people. I'd rather go slow and steady and in a maintainable way
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    they could keep it off if they ate a little above maintenance calories and exercised a little when the show was off. the problem is most of these people are huge because they lack self control or they have issues, which don't just fix themselves by dieting and exercising for 3 months.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show, but most things I've read suggest that a "week" on the show is usually more than 7 days.

^^^ This. I've done "reality" TV, and we would film for multiple days to make one TV "night".
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't believe anything I see on TV. It's all fake and edited.

Except Dr Oz. Because he's a real doctor and definitely isn't trying to hock any products :grumble:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lb in two days once for real however it was due to raging flu and really not any health kick attempts from myself. I did actually keep that 7lb off you a good year or two as well but ........ it just goes to show what a difference dehydration can make when seeking quick loss. As this is a dramatic tv show there is no way we can really know if they are losing water, muscle or fat!
  • aroseyglow
    Options
    I am not a fan of The Biggest Loser's methods. Nothing they are doing reflect realistic, healthy weightloss. When it gets down to it, it's a game show. Losing that much weight that fast can cause hanging skin because your skin doesn't have time to adjust to the changes in the rapid fat loss. Also having Jillian scream at people is not a responsible nor sensitive way to deal with someone who has dealt with seriois weight issues all of their life. She is not a qualified psychologist nor someone I would trust to open up to. Also they take very heavy people and force them to do exercises that are beyond their ability which causes injury. I have read several stories from past contestants talking about their injuries from the show.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss is not the enemy, especially in the beginning of the weight loss journey. Also, it really doesn't play a big part on whether you maintain or not. See the research:

"Our study provides further evidence that, within the context of lifestyle treatment, losing weight at a fast initial rate leads to greater short-term weight reductions, does not result in increased susceptibility to weight regain, and is associated with larger weight losses and overall long-term success in weight management," the authors write in the International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. http://www.livescience.com/9907-surprising-diet-tip-lose-weight-quickly.html

"Collectively, findings indicate both short- and long-term advantages to fast initial weight loss. Fast weight losers obtained greater weight reduction and long-term maintenance, and were not more susceptible to weight regain than gradual weight losers."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20443094

Interesting enough, the research defines "fast weight-loss" at a rate of 2lbs per week... Hmmm.

Most people who lose this amount of weight in short periods of time usually are obese (BMI>30), are under medical supervision, and follow a plan so strict that would really be imposible to keep long-term. This is why a lot of them fail in the long run.

I, personally, do not believe in the "increase your calories to lose" approach. To each his own.

I am so with you on all of this. Thank you for your post.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Please read this before you start looking at Biggest Loser for weight loss tips:

Part 1: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
    Part 2: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/16/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-2-of-3/
    Part 3: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/23/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-3-of-3/

It's an interview with one of the finalists from season 3. This really shows, plainly and clearly, how horribly unhealthy the show is and also the "freak show" aspect of it. Yes, some of the contestants keep the weight off after, many also develop horrible eating disorders and many put it back on because they never learned how to fit eating right and exercising into a normal lifestyle. Also, a BL week can be anywhere from 5 days to 2+ weeks AND a lot of that weight loss is horrible forced dehydration.

No thank you, I'll take my 1-2 pounds a week by counting calories and exercising an hour or so daily.

Great reading material.....both intriguing and disturbing at the same time.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

they were in week 7 or 8

Not even remotely suggesting that I think anything about the Biggest Loser is healthy. That said...

In week 1, when they're losing 20+ pounds a piece, yes, probably most of that is absolutely water weight. However, if they're dehydrated every weigh in, then the change from week to week *can't* be water weight, right? Because if they were dehydrated at the point of the last weigh in, then there's no water weight to lose at the next weigh in? Or at least very little. You know what I mean?

I see what you're saying. It kind of makes sense but dehydration isn't black and white. There are varying levels, which would explain how some weeks they lose 7 lbs and some weeks they lose 20 pounds.
    Having said that, wouldn't the editors aim for the most drastic possible results? We can't fully know but if a *week is subjective than maybe levels of hydration are also controlled for dramatic effect.
    Now I'm sounding like a conspiracy theorist :ohwell:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its probably already been said...but I've read that a "week" on the Biggest Loser is longer than a normal 7 day week....
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The show has great total body workouts though....