Clean Bulking: Thoughts/Experiences?

Options
Who has clean bulked ("culking")? Men and women- your thoughts/experiences?

I'm doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer for the next 12 weeks- however I don't like her straight bulk for the 1st 5 weeks- so I planned on clean bulking by incorporating in some light cardio.

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't think I understand the question. How exactly does adding cardio to a bulking program make it "clean". Also, doing too much cardio defeats the purpose of a bulk. I did Jamie Eason's program ages ago when I first started into weight training. The bulk is important if you want to come out of the 'cut' having visible muscle definition rather than a 'skinny fat' effect. Hope that helps a bit, like I said I don't fully understand what you are trying to say by "clean".
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You need a small calorie surplus, nearly flawless diet, and a spot-on lifting program. Frankly it's easier, and probably overall faster to "just" bulk, and the cut fat later.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't think I understand the question. How exactly does adding cardio to a bulking program make it "clean". Also, doing too much cardio defeats the purpose of a bulk. I did Jamie Eason's program ages ago when I first started into weight training. The bulk is important if you want to come out of the 'cut' having visible muscle definition rather than a 'skinny fat' effect. Hope that helps a bit, like I said I don't fully understand what you are trying to say by "clean".

I'm confused about cardio bit as well.

To the OP I don't know what program you're following but I'm assuming by "clean" bulk you're referring to the elimination of processed foods?

I think it's a waste of time and effort.

I would concentrate more on hitting your daily macro targets than worry about whether the food is "clean" or not.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If you're bulking, cardio should not be done.

Bulking is eating more calories than your maintenance (200-500 daily depending on your goals). It really doesn't matter how you do it. Essentially you should keep your diet moderately healthy but if you wanted to get your extra calories in by eating ice cream it wouldn't make a difference.

I would check out the forums on bodybuilding.com for more information on it. A lot of the girls have done bulks.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about "clean" eating while bulking - as opposed to making up those extra calories with not so clean food. My OH calls it a "dirty bulk"... sounds gross.

I've always been under the impression (not that I've done it.. I'm trying to rid my body of excess fat and weight... maybe one day!) that you need that initial "bulk" period with the extra calorie intake so that your muscles are kept fuelled - because you're not going to build (...much) muscle without a calorie surplus (that's what I've been led to understand anyway).

Surely too much cardio is going to be counter productive?

I'd say Jamie Eason (the GODDESS!!) would know what she's talking about... her workouts look pretty good and the food plans she has also look great.

Save the cardio (not all.. if you want to do some do some but don't dwell on it thinking you're going to burn a whole bunch of fat....!!!) until your cut

Happy bulking!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    To bulk you should aim for a small calorie surplus of 200 to 300 cals per day. Extra cardio is not necessary because it simply raises your TDEE and means you have to eat even more to get that surplus.

This small surplus should limit the amount of fat gain (although there will still be some, which can be cut later).
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You need a small calorie surplus, nearly flawless diet, and a spot-on lifting program. Frankly it's easier, and probably overall faster to "just" bulk, and the cut fat later.

Yes^ I tried the "lean bulk". It was much more difficult than I thought it would be. The idea is that an average male can gain about 1 pound of muscle per month (about half that for women). So a lean bulk would allow you to eat enough of a surplus to gain that but not much more. The problem is you have to be very precise and you cant actually tell if you are eating enough. I can fluctuate 5 pounds in a day so seeing a gain of 1-2 pounds over a month is almost impossible. You could go a very long time to find out you might not be eating enough.

Sidesteel shared this article with me and it made a lot of sense.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had googled thoughts and experiences on "clean bulking" and quite a few of them recommend light cardio, hence my question

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123130933&page=1

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/top-10-rules-successful-clean-bulking.html

I'm sure you can see my confusion- as these are "bulking" programs, that incorporate a bit of cardio. In reference to diet, I already eat clean.
  • laurelderry
    Options

Perfect! Thank you!
  • laurelderry
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about "clean" eating while bulking - as opposed to making up those extra calories with not so clean food. My OH calls it a "dirty bulk"... sounds gross.

I've always been under the impression (not that I've done it.. I'm trying to rid my body of excess fat and weight... maybe one day!) that you need that initial "bulk" period with the extra calorie intake so that your muscles are kept fuelled - because you're not going to build (...much) muscle without a calorie surplus (that's what I've been led to understand anyway).

I'd say Jamie Eason (the GODDESS!!) would know what she's talking about... her workouts look pretty good and the food plans she has also look great.

Save the cardio (not all.. if you want to do some do some but don't dwell on it thinking you're going to burn a whole bunch of fat....!!!) until your cut

Happy bulking!

Thank you! Yes, really, I'm training for a Spartan Race AND preparing to look hot in my wedding dress this fall. I didn't want to give up ALL my cardio (i.e. runs) and lose the stamina that I have built up over the last year.
  • laurelderry
    Options

Yes^ I tried the "lean bulk". It was much more difficult than I thought it would be. The idea is that an average male can gain about 1 pound of muscle per month (about half that for women). So a lean bulk would allow you to eat enough of a surplus to gain that but not much more. The problem is you have to be very precise and you cant actually tell if you are eating enough. I can fluctuate 5 pounds in a day so seeing a gain of 1-2 pounds over a month is almost impossible. You could go a very long time to find out you might not be eating enough.

Sidesteel shared this article with me and it made a lot of sense.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

Thank you! Super insightful.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Happy bulking!

Thank you! Yes, really, I'm training for a Spartan Race AND preparing to look hot in my wedding dress this fall. I didn't want to give up ALL my cardio (i.e. runs) and lose the stamina that I have built up over the last year.

If also training for a race than I can see why you'd want to keep running. However you will have to adjust your surplus accordingly as the run will burn calories and affect your strength and muscle gains.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just set a moderate to small surplus and if you find you're gaining too slow, bump up cals and if you're gaining too fast cut them or take a short 1-2 week cut. Results will be the slowest this way, but will also keep you leanish most of the time
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

But Taso, it sounds so much cooler to tell people, "I'm on a 'clean bulk' or 'lean bulk'". How am i gonna be cool now?

Seriously, listen to what Taso said here. Concentrate on one thing and get everything you can out of it, and then concentrate on the next thing and get everything out of it. Compromised goals tend to have compromised results
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add since you've already gotten lots of sage advice in this thread but I noticed your comment about the wedding dress so I couldn't not look at your pictures. You can stop now...You look great in that dress in your pictures.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks into my first clean bulk ever....(done some dirty ones in the past) and I can tell you this is gonna suck...i'm aiming for a finish date of June 30.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Just set a moderate to small surplus and if you find you're gaining too slow, bump up cals and if you're gaining too fast cut them or take a short 1-2 week cut. Results will be the slowest this way, but will also keep you leanish most of the time

x2 this.

Op I have clean bulked many times.
    Try to do a 1:1 muscle to fat ratio. i.e 1/2 lb muscle putting on 1/2 lb fat or 1lb M to 1lb f. This will make it easier to cut later. Use a scale and calipers to check your weight and bf% every 2 weeks. Good luck.

Eta: Nothing wrong with short timed light cardio.
  • laurelderry
    Options
    I don't have much to add since you've already gotten lots of sage advice in this thread but I noticed your comment about the wedding dress so I couldn't not look at your pictures. You can stop now...You look great in that dress in your pictures.

Aww thank you! Still working on my c-section belly. :) My kid did a number on that poor thing, lol
  • laurelderry
    Options

x2 this.

Try to do a 1:1 muscle to fat ratio. i.e 1/2 lb muscle putting on 1/2 lb fat or 1lb M to 1lb f. This will make it easier to cut later. Use a scale and calipers to check your weight and bf% every 2 weeks. Good luck.

Thank you! All of you are awesome, BTW- I appreciate the sound advice.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

x2 this.

Thank you! All of you are awesome, BTW- I appreciate the sound advice.

Indeed you are welcome! :wink: