Clean Bulking: Thoughts/Experiences?

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    I lean bulk - it works. I've just started cutting for this year and whilst no where near flawless, I'm 271lb and still have some ab's, most of the obliques showing and a little bit of serratus anterior. Far from perfect but its possible.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I lean bulk - it works. I've just started cutting for this year and whilst no where near flawless, I'm 271lb and still have some ab's, most of the obliques showing and a little bit of serratus anterior. Far from perfect but its possible.

Nice! Looking good man. NO HOMO. :laugh:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member

I was thinking in OP's case it may be easier to start with the bulk/cut cycle because she is fairly new to the concept. It may be beneficial to focus solely on strength and muscle gains (1 pound a week max weight gain) then try to cut down. You're the expert so correct me if I'm wrong but I certainly found it easier to monitor progress this way when I was first starting lifting.

Also can you link to a credible site with more information on lean bulking? My curiosity has peaked and there is a lot of conflicting information on the Google.
  • lift weights with mostly compound exercises, training progressively, eating adequate protein and fat, with enough calories to gain about 2lbs\month (man).
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    clean bulking is mostly a myth, i normally hear this from people who want to get muscular but are afraid to eat more food. There is three types of eating.

Eating at a caloric deficit= weight loss
    Maintainence= same
    Eating at a caloric surplus= weight gain
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    clean bulking is mostly a myth, i normally hear this from people who want to get muscular but are afraid to eat more food. There is three types of eating.

Maintainence= same

Its not a myth.
  • FootballGamer58

Maintainence= same

Its not a myth.

a lot of people say that about myths
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You need a small calorie surplus, nearly flawless diet, and a spot-on lifting program. Frankly it's easier, and probably overall faster to "just" bulk, and the cut fat later.

Yup. All these plans that try to bulk without any fat gain just look like wheel spinning to me and don't really accomplish either with any degree of success.
  • Shock_Wave
    You need a small calorie surplus, nearly flawless diet, and a spot-on lifting program. Frankly it's easier, and probably overall faster to "just" bulk, and the cut fat later.

Yup. All these plans that try to bulk without any fat gain just look like wheel spinning to me and don't really accomplish either with any degree of success.

Clean= healthy foods and not processed foods or high sugary foods i.e. doughnuts..etc
    Bulking= eating at a surplus of calories.. Of course you are going to gain weight muscle and fat.

Nobody in this thread said without fat gain.

ETA: Now re composition diets are still possible but very hard, tedious, and slow(gain muscle lose fat) and it does peak out unlike bulking. To raise this peak its more effective with the assistance of performance enhancement drugs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Seems there's a terminology discrepancy. I thought the common usage of "Clean Bulk" is to bulk while minimizing fat gain.. Ideally to gain mass, but keep body fat percent roughly constant.
  • Shock_Wave
    Seems there's a terminology discrepancy. I thought the common usage of "Clean Bulk" is to bulk while minimizing fat gain.. Ideally to gain mass, but keep body fat percent roughly constant.

Read my edit. Your talking about body recomposition.
  • FootballGamer58
    yeah maybe theres a terminology disconnect.
  • Shock_Wave
    yeah maybe theres a terminology disconnect.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

body recomp i think more of keeping body weight constant but decreasing body fat percent
  • mmapags

Clean= healthy foods and not processed foods or high sugary foods i.e. doughnuts..etc
    Bulking= eating at a surplus of calories.. Of course you are going to gain weight muscle and fat.

Nobody in this thread said without fat gain.

ETA: Now re composition diets are still possible but very hard, tedious, and slow(gain muscle lose fat) and it does peak out. To raise this peak its more effective with the assistance of performance enhancement drugs.

I had the same assumption as Taso. I very well may have misunderstood. I think of clean bulk and recomp as the same thing.
  • Shock_Wave

body recomp i think more of keeping body weight constant but decreasing body fat percent

Yes it can be used this way too.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

Maintainence= same

Its not a myth.

a lot of people say that about myths

Not really.... ideally it is eating just slightly over maintenance so you do gain weight, but in a rather slow manner. What is the point of adding 4 lbs a month when you're only going to come out with 1 lb being muscle anyway?
  • Shock_Wave
    Here is my example. This year instead of traditionally bulking to 230+ lbs I did a re composition diet that will end this Saturday. So far I have gained 2+lbs of muscle and lost several % of fat. I will know exactly how much this Saturday. :smile:

13 wk recomp. cycle
    wk1 11/26/12 = 214lbs
    wk2 12/03/12 = 216lbs
    wk3 12/10/12 = 219lbs
    wk4 12/17/12 = 220lbs
    wk5 12/24/12 = 222lbs
    wk6 12/31/12 = 224lbs
    wk7 01/07/13 = 222lbs
    wk8 01/28/13 = 219lbs
    wk 9 02/04/13 = 218lbs
    wk 10 02/11/13 = 220lbs
    wk 11 02/18/13 = 219lbs
    wk 12 02/26/13 = 217lbs
  • mmapags
    Here is my example. This year instead of traditionally bulking to 230+ lbs I did a re composition diet that will end this Saturday. So far I have gained 2lbs of muscle and lost several % of fat. I will know exactly how much this Saturday. :smile:

13 wk recomp. cycle
    wk1 11/26/12 = 214lbs
    wk2 12/03/12 = 216lbs
    wk3 12/10/12 = 219lbs
    wk4 12/17/12 = 220lbs
    wk5 12/24/12 = 222lbs
    wk6 12/31/12 = 224lbs
    wk7 01/07/13 = 222lbs
    wk8 01/28/13 = 219lbs
    wk 9 02/04/13 = 218lbs
    wk 10 02/11/13 = 220lbs
    wk 11 02/18/13 = 219lbs
    wk 12 02/26/13 = 217lbs

What did the diet peice look like?
  • Shock_Wave
    Here is my example. This year instead of traditionally bulking to 230+ lbs I did a re composition diet that will end this Saturday. So far I have gained 2lbs of muscle and lost several % of fat. I will know exactly how much this Saturday. :smile:

13 wk recomp. cycle
    wk1 11/26/12 = 214lbs
    wk2 12/03/12 = 216lbs
    wk3 12/10/12 = 219lbs
    wk4 12/17/12 = 220lbs
    wk5 12/24/12 = 222lbs
    wk6 12/31/12 = 224lbs
    wk7 01/07/13 = 222lbs
    wk8 01/28/13 = 219lbs
    wk 9 02/04/13 = 218lbs
    wk 10 02/11/13 = 220lbs
    wk 11 02/18/13 = 219lbs
    wk 12 02/26/13 = 217lbs

What did the diet peice look like?

There's a lot to it but my diet remained mostly constant other than a upping 10 or 20 cals or decreasing those cals here and there according to my weight gains or losses. Notice like I said how it peaks out...Then it drops back down. That's the course the re composition took me.