Does this seemright to you

Options
2»

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a heart rate monitor? That way you would know exactly what you are burning. Also, you'll have better results if you do not eat your exercise calories.
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    Some have said that "just standing around" shouldn't count as activity.... I would like to ask these folks if they have ever stood, in basically one spot, for 5 hours or more? I would DEFINITELY count this as activity. It takes a lot of different muscles to stand (calf, thigh, back, glutes, abs, etc.). They are all engaged at one point or another while standing. I'm not sure you burned quite as many calories as the MFP site says, but you do not have to get your heart rate up in order to burn calories... (you actually can burn approximately 11 calories per hour just chewing a stick of gum).

The calories per hour site that someone suggested (http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php) states that a 219lb person will burn in 5 hours:

Fishing - from river bank or dock, standing
    1,738 calories in 5 hr - This puts MFP's calculation almost right on with this site's. I would think the better calculation would be the next one though. Fishing engages more muscles (upper body) and one does not stand still while fishing. You are casting, reeling in, baiting the hook, removing the fish, etc. so you should be burning more calories due to more activity.

Standing - quietly (e.g., standing in church)
    596 calories in 5 hr - This seems a bit more realistic for your situation to me. Standing quietly in church usually involves minimal movement. :o)

Great idea doing your abs exercise while you are standing at work... you could also throw in some calf raises and wall sits as well if you wanted to... :O) Keep it up! :o)
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    We don't all stand around all day actually. I have a desk job. I sit all day at work. My life is sedentary for the most part.

I have taken my heart rate monitor in to work to see the difference between my normal job and my part time job (I listed myself as sedentary because the bulk of my day is spent sitting at a desk, and my part time work is only 20 hours a week).

At the desk job I burn an average of 80 calories an hour. At the part time job I burn an average of 155 calories per hour which leaves me burning an extra 75 calories per hour at the part time job which is a four hour stint.

When I weighed 230 lbs I was burning an extra 400 calories at my part time job in four hours and on days I worked a full 8 hours I burned an extra 800 calories (people NEVER believe this when I tell them but that's what the heart rate monitor calculated - and please keep in mind when I say EXTRA, I mean on top of what I would have burned if I had been sitting).

So the point here is... whether it's intentional exercise or not, whether your heart rate is raised or not... if you're burning more calories then you would normally shouldn't that be accounted for? And can you REALLY call retail work a lightly active lifestyle??

PS: Yes, I ate back those 400 calories that I 'burned' at work and the 800 calories and I lost consistently 2 lbs a week. I no longer eat those calories back just because of where I'm sitting now but when I weighed more it didn't seem to hurt anything.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Maybe what you could is see what MFP tells you your daily calorie goals are for 'sedentary', and then change it to 'lightly active' and see what the difference is. Because 'lightly active' is supposed to account for a standing kinda job, isn't it? So if changing it upped your allowance by, say 200 calories, that's the extra amount I'd account for that one day.

If you were doing this all the time, I'd say find a way to measure it a bit more accurately (HRM, or whatever) but since it's one day I'd just going with a conservative couple hundred calories and that's that. Just my opinion! :smile:
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would not add 5 hours of fishing as excercise. First I would see how demanding the job really is. Assuming maybe half of your time will be spent folding and hanging stuff maybe throw an hour of excercise time on your log. If you find you are running around alot and constantly on the move maybe just bump your settings from sedentary to light or moderate to account for your changes. But thinking you will burn 1700 cals just guarding a door is not going to do your scale any favors. Good luck w the new job!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    We don't all stand around all day actually. I have a desk job. I sit all day at work. My life is sedentary for the most part.

I have taken my heart rate monitor in to work to see the difference between my normal job and my part time job (I listed myself as sedentary because the bulk of my day is spent sitting at a desk, and my part time work is only 20 hours a week).

At the desk job I burn an average of 80 calories an hour. At the part time job I burn an average of 155 calories per hour which leaves me burning an extra 75 calories per hour at the part time job which is a four hour stint.

When I weighed 230 lbs I was burning an extra 400 calories at my part time job in four hours and on days I worked a full 8 hours I burned an extra 800 calories (people NEVER believe this when I tell them but that's what the heart rate monitor calculated - and please keep in mind when I say EXTRA, I mean on top of what I would have burned if I had been sitting).

So the point here is... whether it's intentional exercise or not, whether your heart rate is raised or not... if you're burning more calories then you would normally shouldn't that be accounted for? And can you REALLY call retail work a lightly active lifestyle??

PS: Yes, I ate back those 400 calories that I 'burned' at work and the 800 calories and I lost consistently 2 lbs a week. I no longer eat those calories back just because of where I'm sitting now but when I weighed more it didn't seem to hurt anything.

i think eating those extra cals is a giant mistake. not to mention mfp already takes this into account. if i am walking an extra five minutes from class to class, i don't eat an extra to account for that...
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Standing - quietly (e.g., standing in church)
    596 calories in 5 hr - This seems a bit more realistic for your situation to me. Standing quietly in church usually involves minimal movement. :o)

The problem with this though is that it likely doesn't subtract out what your body would have been burning without any activity. Your body needs to burn a certain amount of calories to just keep your lungs breathing, your heart pumping and all your other organs. This is what the BMR is. A person sitting at a desk on a couch all day doing nothing will still burn 130-150 calories without moving a muscle. So if you take that into consideration, the act of standing as opposed to sitting for an hour is only about 60 calories at best.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    "i think eating those extra cals is a giant mistake. not to mention mfp already takes this into account. if i am walking an extra five minutes from class to class, i don't eat an extra to account for that..."

For you it might be, for her it could be... for me it wasn't. I lost consistently despite doing so. :)
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I think I have been wasting my time busting a gut at the gym.

****Off to buy a rod*****