Dr. Oz show topic on Calcium....drink milk to lose weight??

Options

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz = $$$$$$$$$$

I stopped watching him after 2 very different and conflicting results

He empahsized that men over 50 take lots of Vitamin E

Ok, then with in 3 months ,he continuosly stated that men over 50 SHOULD NOT take any type of Vitamin E because of high prostate levels........yeah, thanks Oz

I had a high count when I went to my DR in the prostate readings, becuase I was taking tons of Vitamin E, thanks to that quack

Stopped taking all types of Vit E, and have normal prostate readings.........

The guy is worthless when it comes to his show........anything they toss at him , he will promote for a fee

Hes getting to be a media hog..........look at his daughter, that no one ever heard of, who is now starring on THE CHEW...........

Hollywood gone bad, just as bad as that idiot Dr Phil.........
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My doc had me taking calcium and vitamin d. Neither hurt and can only help! Women especailly need calcium. I wouldn't worry about drinking milk purposefully, just take the suppliment.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    eat more leafy greens, spinach, romaine or red leaf lettuce. TONS of calcium...very few calories.

in addition, your body can't absorb calcium without vitamin D. so you need to get both in the appropriate quantities.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting study:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/142198.php

Discusses the effects of adding calcium to the diets of obese women and noted a difference in those that were previous deficient in calcium. It did run with a control group, so the findings are, arguably, valid.

I take everything from Dr. Oz with a boulder sized grain of salt.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Is he getting kickbacks from dairy farmers?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I've identified the problem.

You were watching Dr. Oz.

Stop it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Turn off Dr. Oz.
    Maintain caloric deficit.

Problem solved.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    You can get your calcium with green leafy veggies and all kinds of other things. And if you're still concerned, you can always take a calcium supplement (which is actually recommended for women over 40 I believe). I've never been a milk drinker, I just don't like it, and I've recently cut pretty much all dairy out of my diet, and my skin has never looked better, my digestive tract has never been happier. Dairy is NOT mandatory.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    WELL If Dr Oz says so....It must be true!
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I heart milk and I drink 1 cup (skim) after workouts with frozen blueberries (blended). I think the workout is helping me lose weight more than drinking that milk but it sure is yummy!

How is that show still on?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Your RDA is 1000 mg/day. Go to Reports and pull up your calcium history. If you're under, eat more. If not, don't sweat it.

P.S. Your body can only handle 500 mg doses, so split it up during the day.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think we should all hire a barrister because i have become apoplectic towards this quack and i'm about to say something scurrilous. This guy is deceiving the masses and using his status as a Dr. to lead us astray like sheep. He'll have anyone on his show to get ratings. BEWARE of this quack.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I saw a documentary proving that a diet based on high dairy consumption prevents the absorbtion of fat. They took several people and put them all on diffferent diets and analyzed their poo abstracting the fat. Everyone was given the same amount of calories and the same amount of calories from fat. It was quite gross but the conclusion was that the diet that was dairy based abstracted the largest amount of fat because the dairy made it somehow less able to absorb. It is probably because only 20% of the population (mainly in Denmark) does not have lactose intolerance.
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a supplement to any woman really....I generally get the bare minimum in my diet and should also take a supplement...

I did switch from dairy milk to almond milk though because I was consuming a LOT of milk in the run of a day and the calories added up to big numbers...not to mention my daughter has a constipation issue and I was instructed to limit her milk intake...but, I was using it in coffee, cereal, smoothies, etc....almond milk still has all the good stuff milk does (except protein unfortunately) and it made a big difference in my calories....I still eat cheese in moderation....and I dont eat yogourt as much lately simply because my budget hasn't allowed it but I do think calcium is very important so I consume as much as I can....
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I think we should all hire a barrister because i have become apoplectic towards this quack and i'm about to say something scurrilous. This guy is deceiving the masses and using his status as a Dr. to lead us astray like sheep. He'll have anyone on his show to get ratings. BEWARE of this quack.

I adore your vocabulary.

ETA: I also like skim milk. Noticed my nails getting WAY nicer, less brittle, more white once I increased my intake. Haven't noticed an effect in either direction on weight loss. I think its tasty!
  • strongerthanFAT
    strongerthanFAT Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    His wife is a vegan isn't she? You can simply take a calcium supplement without having to pay too much into the dairy industry which is full of not only corruption (and yes government corruption as well) but also full of cruelty. You don't have to completely cut it out but almond milk gives you even more calcium, and calcium is also in many foods, even vegetables! I wouldn't worry about it too much. No one food makes you lose weight faster, it's all about what you eat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ < That video changed my life How to lose weight without losing your mind!
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options

Hes getting to be a media hog..........look at his daughter, that no one ever heard of, who is now starring on THE CHEW...........

Hollywood gone bad, just as bad as that idiot Dr Phil.........

Oh wow! I didn't know that was his daughter? I have always thought "How did she get on here? Who IS she?!"
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a quack.

But i have seen many articles and studies lately regarding milk and it helping to keep pounds off. I'm not so sure about helping you "burn fat" or anything like that. But it can help by keeping you satiated and giving you lots of vitamins and minerals. Moderate amounts of whole milk are great for you, the non-fat stuff probably not so much.
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went vegan and lost weight effortlessly. Gave up all dairy and the pounds fell off. Have kept off 40 pounds without exercise for 3 years now. Cholesterol improved tremendously. You get plenty of calcium from veggies. Milk is not needed. Try the www.21daykickstart.org site.