Squats and deadlifts: same day?

Options
Do you squat and deadlift the same day? And, if so, which do you do first, and why?
I ask because they are both heavy lifts, obviously. I am a runner, so I squat almost every time I work out in the gym.
I do squats first, because I find it easier to warm up with squats, and it is a better warm up. But, I suspect I do not deadlift as heavy as I might because I do my squats first, and, therefore, get a little fatigued.
Thanks

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I did for a while, but because I deadlift 2-3 times per week, it became a tad impractical. I would generally squat first, just because it requires a bit more coordination, which suffers as you tire out. Then I realized that my deadlift was suffering for it, so I got pissed off and only squat once per week now. Screw my squat, I have a real goal in mind for this deadlift. ^_^
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    One makes me too tired to do the other effectively.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't, they got to heavy to even do on back to back days,
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was squatting and deadlifting on the same day twice a week until this week. I've changed my program a bit, and am no longer doing an upper lower split like I was before. Now, I only deadlift once a week, I squat 3 times a week, though, so 1 day a week I do both on the same day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Me too.

OP: If you squat more than once a week, it would probably make sense to have deadlifts first on the day(s) you do.

How many times a week do you squat?
  • Joey_TheGreat
    Options
    with proper leg and core training you could even eliminate deadlifts. SQUAT TILL YOU DROP. best of luck
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Me too.

OP: If you squat more than once a week, it would probably make sense to have deadlifts first on the day(s) you do.

Probably only two times per week. Sometimes three. I also don't do either quite as intensely, and heavy, as I possibly could. I had knee surgery about a year ago, and my left knee is still a bit weak, and I do not want to do something stupid and reinjure it before I am 100 percent.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can probably get away with doing both the same workout til you get to a point where you gains are slowing down. Then you might want to squat one day and deadlift a few days later. By the time you are a relatively advanced lifter, you'll only want to do these lifts once a week anyway, at least, if you are going heavy.

Another poster said you could eliminate deads with a proper squat workout, which is true. When I was powerlifting I only did deadlifts a few weeks out from a meet to brush up on my technique. The rest of the time it was squat squat squat.

Right now since I'm just getting back into lifting, I squat 1st and then do deads right after on the 5x5 program, since the squats have me warmed up already. Then I do my shoulder presses.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I always do them the same day.
  • avocadofit
    avocadofit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do legs 2 days a week and do both both days. Squats first

Day 1: back squats and Romanian dead lifts
    Day 2: front squats and sumo dead lifts
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not only do I not deadlift the same day as squats, I remove deadlifts from my routine for months on end when I'm concentrating on improving my squats. I can't increase at both in the same cycle
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I do both on the same day. I squat first. Ideally i think I would superset them if the gym was mine and mine alone. I generally do not have this option. Idk if I'm just not lifting heavy enough at this point to not be able to do them both on the same day or what but I haven't noticed any terrible outcome from my practices.

Or I'm a glutton for punishment. I leg press on that day, too. :laugh:

ETA: not deadlifting ever would give me the sads.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    My sons football team does them not only on the same day, but multiple times per week. 1/2 the team either has jacked up knees or under developed lower back muscles. Gee....wonder why?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Me too.

Probably only two times per week. Sometimes three. I also don't do either quite as intensely, and heavy, as I possibly could. I had knee surgery about a year ago, and my left knee is still a bit weak, and I do not want to do something stupid and reinjure it before I am 100 percent.

Aahhh...got it. I kind of assumed you were squatting 3 x a week regularly which is why I suggested putting deads at the beginning for the day you do deadlifts. If it is the case that you only squat 2 x a week, I would squat first and deadlift second.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    Interesting to hear how many people squat first, and how many squat but don't deadlift even half as much.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    My sons football team does them not only on the same day, but multiple times per week. 1/2 the team either has jacked up knees or under developed lower back muscles. Gee....wonder why?

My son plays rugby, and he lifts on the same day he has practice. i wish he wouldn't do that.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I followed stronglifts 5x5, and every other workout i was doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. i only end up doing 1 set of 5 reps at my working weight, but still done on the same day

Edit: I squat first, then OHP, then DL
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x per week and always do squat, overhead press, deadlift (in that order) on the second day. It's usually Wednesday. If I'm feeling froggy I'll even finish with some clean & press too. The day after I usually need help off the toilet...
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Plenty of programs include both of these lifts on the same day. I'm currently running a 5x5 variation that has you deadlift once per week, and performing the squats at the start of the session. I think it would be best NOT to compromise your lower back with deadlifts before performing squats to ensure optimum stability. Barbell squat (axial loading of the spine) + weak thoracic stabilizers: sounds like a disaster, haha
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    I used to. Squats first. Doing squats 3x\week and deads 1.5x\week. After the weight got heavier I dropped to 2x\week squats and 1x\week deadlifts and so squat mon\fri and deadlift wed.