Squats and deadlifts: same day?

Options

Replies

• K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Interesting to hear how many people squat first, and how many squat but don't deadlift even half as much.

When I used to lift heavy I never really did deadlifts. I did squats tons of rows. My goal was to row what most people dead lifted.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Interesting to hear how many people squat first, and how many squat but don't deadlift even half as much.

When I used to lift heavy I never really did deadlifts. I did squats tons of rows. My goal was to row what most people dead lifted.

I already row what most people at my gym deadlift...but I'm pretty sure that's just because they deadlift like 12 year old girls, not because my row is anything special.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My sons football team does them not only on the same day, but multiple times per week. 1/2 the team either has jacked up knees or under developed lower back muscles. Gee....wonder why?

You ever been in a high school weight room? It's ugly. Bad form, no real coaching or teaching of the lifts- you have an older kid teaching a younger kid. They used this Bigger/Faster/Stronger program, which if managed properly, could have worked. The problem was too many kids just went thru the motions. There were a couple kids who worked it hard and made great gains on it but they were the exception. On squat day most would do the required reps or whatever, then for assistance would do curls or something stupid (and easy), when they should have been doing more core work like good mornings. I ended up training my son at home. It pissed the coach off that he didn't go to the summer lifting sessions, but on "squat test day" where they had to rep out 315 he did 36 reps, more than anyone on the team. He was repping 480x10 at home. He also had the 2nd highest total on bench reps of 185, and when we started over the summer he was only getting 4-5 reps. I think he did somewhere around 20. This was between sophomore and junior year. He blew his ACL wrestling the next summer and missed his senior year of ball. By the time he graduated he was benching 350 and deadlifting 550 at 215 bodyweight. Form and technique- it goes a LONG way towards healthy lifting.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You can Squat and Deadlift in the same day but it's usually if you're squatting multiple times a week. If you're squatting on the same day as a deadlift then the load will most likely need to be light, probably 45% to 60% or 65% of your 1RM for sets of maybe 5reps, or possibly 10-reps if you're keeping the load closer to 40% or 45%. Then go and deadlift. The last squat set might be 10lbs or 20lbs less than what your first deadlift set would be.

There's no rule against doing this and I've seen four different full-body methods that include squatting and deadlifting in the same session. It all depends on the load and intensity.
    My sons football team does them not only on the same day, but multiple times per week. 1/2 the team either has jacked up knees or under developed lower back muscles. Gee....wonder why?

If everybody's back, knees, and hips are jacked it's simply because they're not taught how to squat correctly and/or the proper support exercises are not being taught to accompany the squat. Not to mention proper loading, frequency, stretching, etc.
    I already row what most people at my gym deadlift...but I'm pretty sure that's just because they deadlift like 12 year old girls, not because my row is anything special.

That is pretty awesome when you can do that. I've done session where I was able to row more than the guy next to me was squatting and I love it. I never say anything but it's definitely and "ah-ha!" moment.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I followed stronglifts 5x5, and every other workout i was doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. i only end up doing 1 set of 5 reps at my working weight, but still done on the same day

Edit: I squat first, then OHP, then DL

Me, too.
  • xxempress
    Options
    with proper leg and core training you could even eliminate deadlifts. SQUAT TILL YOU DROP. best of luck

Second that!!!
  • JNick77
    Options
    with proper leg and core training you could even eliminate deadlifts. SQUAT TILL YOU DROP. best of luck

Second that!!!

Not even meant to be ****ty... why would you want to eliminate them? Deadlifts are an amazing exercise. I remember several years ago when I did them for the first time. I had been lifting for quite a while at that point but never did a DL. Not only were my legs sore the next day, but my abs, chest, and traps were sore as well. Just do it! LOL
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Second that!!!

Not even meant to be ****ty... why would you want to eliminate them? Deadlifts are an amazing exercise. I remember several years ago when I did them for the first time. I had been lifting for quite a while at that point but never did a DL. Not only were my legs sore the next day, but my abs, chest, and traps were sore as well. Just do it! LOL

They can get in the way of squat progression, just like squats can impede deadlift progression. Just so damned many of the same muscles used for both.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Second that!!!

They can get in the way of squat progression, just like squats can impede deadlift progression. Just so damned many of the same muscles used for both.

Exactly. Not to mention that both heavy squats and deads are hell on recovery. I eliminate one or everything starts getting compromised.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I followed stronglifts 5x5, and every other workout i was doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. i only end up doing 1 set of 5 reps at my working weight, but still done on the same day

Edit: I squat first, then OHP, then DL
    [/quote

This
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I also follow Stronglifts 5x5 as others here. There are 2 basic workouts that alternate.

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5

Workout B
    Squats 5x5
    OHP 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

You are supposed to workout 3x per week so the progression is A-B-A, B-A-B and so forth. You end up doing squats 3x per week every week and deadlifts could be 1x or 2x. The exercises are supposed to be performed in the order indicated above.

As of my last workout on Tuesday my squat was at 120 lbs. and the DL at 165 lbs. For what it's worth I found the squat more challenging than the deadlift even on the first set. Maybe that will change as the weight increases.
  • JNick77
    Options

Second that!!!

Exactly. Not to mention that both heavy squats and deads are hell on recovery. I eliminate one or everything starts getting compromised.

If you guys aren't trolling, LOL, then my response is going to be that it completely depends on your programming. If you're doing ME work, then no you don't want to do both in one day. Something like full-body work, yes they can be for sure.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    If you guys aren't trolling, LOL, then my response is going to be that it completely depends on your programming. If you're doing ME work, then no you don't want to do both in one day. Something like full-body work, yes they can be for sure.

Believe it or not, a lot of top end powerlifters very rarely train deadlift outside of their competition cycle. Once you have all of your foundation laid out (i.e. you can easily deadlift 3.5-4x your bodyweight) it becomes far less crucial to train it all of the time. For some reason, squat seems to be more of a 'use it or lose it' lift, whereas once you have the dead, you'll always have it, so long as you don't leave it to collect dust for months on end.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not trolling here either. I add deadlifts to my routine for a few weeks a couple times per year. I've had periods where I didn't do them for years. To be clear, I'm not advocating that people do this, I'm just saying to the OP and anyone in a similar predicament that there are alternatives if you're hitting roadblocks
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am finding this quite informative and interesting. God, I must be boring if I find weight lifting discussions interesting. lol
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am finding this quite informative and interesting. God, I must be boring if I find weight lifting discussions interesting. lol

That means all of us are boring? I mean...we all came here to answer. :)
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I do. :heart: Leg day! I squat first & then dead lift. This a plan my trainer has set for me & my partner.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think we need to keep in mind the variation in levels here. As you get very strong then things change a lot.

For the majority of us, you can squat often and deadlift after squatting every now and then which is why some of the most common, oldest strength programs such as Bill Starr's 5x5 (ish)--which Starting Strength and SL5x5 are based on--are so popular and effective; they seem high frequency to bro splits, but are considered by many to be optimal for the novice and early intermediate.
    A common angle to take is to squat as you do, but instead of deadlifting you can perform the romanian deadlift which isn't as taxing but is a fantastic assistance exercise for hypertrophy.

Also, some people are saying they can't deadlift after squatting. It's possible, since every powerlifter does this. It's much better to squat before DL imo, because squatting with tired spinal erectors is gonna be a bad day :D
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I do front squats after deadlifts on one day, and I do straight leg deads after squats on another.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    on tues I do squat followed by sumo deadlift and then do my other leg exercises...

then friday I do regular deadlift....