Is this only for Americans?!

Options

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me embarassed to be American... :ohwell:

But there are lots of English people, other British types, and people from tons of other countries as well. All are welcome on the interwebs.

This.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    There's loads of people from the UK! :)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be called a United Stater. Please dont lump me in with Canadians or Mexicans.
    Me too, for the love of God.

I know you guys have a really ****ty education system and all but really....

a·mer·i·can
    /əˈmerikən/
    Adjective
    Of, relating to, or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.
    Noun
    A native or citizen of the United States.

I know you just took the first thing that popped up in google but here's from Mirriam-Webster.

Definition of AMERICAN

: an American Indian of North America or South America
    : a native or inhabitant of North America or South America
    : a citizen of the United States

So some of us 'Mericans can look some stuff up too.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm an American - from the Americas and a citizen of the United States of America - and a Floridian. Mind boggling as it is to wrap one's head around, you can be designated as more than one thing based on your locale.

Having said that, yeah, there are plenty of people from around the world on here. Not everyone is from the American continents or the country of the United States of America. This is heavily in evidence by the presence of the Metric system in the database.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My, this has escalated quickly.... But it usually does when people start talking bad about other countries
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Actually the UK is not England. It is Great Britain or England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales together.

And yes, plenty of people from this side of the water.

Jeesh, how did we ever let these people have independence? One mad king, Geroge 3rd and off they go talking about alooominum, eggs over easy, and the like when they should by rights be driving on the left and acknowledging the Queen as head of state while drinking tea and pink gin.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ireland is not in the UK. Northern Ireland is. The Republic of Ireland isn't. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be called a United Stater. Please dont lump me in with Canadians or Mexicans.

Canadians are not called Americans. Americans are from the USA.

We are America, but not Americans. WIKI THAT *kitten*

Americans are anyone living in the Americas - from Canadians and Brazilians to Guatemalans and Argentinians.

No they're not. The term Americans is generalized as people from the USA. Yes, we are part of America, but we're not called Americans.

Generalized, yes, not completely accurate since someone from Argentina is technically an American. Just like someone from Germany is European.

Either way, I'm just teasing. It's all semantics. What does it matter where anyone is from anyway.
  • saragregg
    saragregg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    canadian here!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    MURICA
  • breeshabebe
    Options

Canadians are not called Americans. Americans are from the USA.

We are America, but not Americans. WIKI THAT *kitten*

Americans are anyone living in the Americas - from Canadians and Brazilians to Guatemalans and Argentinians.

NO ONE in the whole rest of the world refers to anyone as American except people in the US. Would you please get over it now?

Kthxbai

Wrong. I dated an Argentine that couldn't speak English once and when I would refer to myself as an "Americana" he would always correct me that he was also American. I will agree that it's "common" knowledge that USA= American... but I don't want treat a Brazilian as though he doesn't have a right to the name "American" also.

We, Americans, try to be more considerate. (PAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA)
  • Sharkington
    Options
    My, this has escalated quickly.... But it usually does when people start talking bad about other countries

Exactly what I was thinking. Actually, I saw the title of the original post and knew it was going to go downhill from that point.
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Actually the UK is not England. It is Great Britain or England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales together.

Jeesh, how did we ever let these people have independence? One mad king, Geroge 3rd and off they go talking about alooominum, eggs over easy, and the like when they should by rights be driving on the left and acknowledging the Queen as head of state while drinking tea and pink gin.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ireland is not in the UK. Northern Ireland is. The Republic of Ireland isn't. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Eek! I was waiting for someone to say this. Never group The Republic of Ireland and the UK/Great Britain together!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

Actually, only *Northern* Ireland is part of the UK. Ever heard of the Easter Rising?

Well aware of it, my grandfather was from Westport so I was brought up on rebel songs, and I visit friends in Cork about 5 times a year. But such distinctions only confuse the Americans like the one who asked me, when i said I was from England "Gee, is that England, Paris?"
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Any time someone cracks a joke, it goes downhill. Humor has a rough time on the net.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Also with everyone in South America.

And Central America.

right....mexico.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I swear everyone on here is American? Anyone from England? lol

Nope.

I'm from London.
  • qshama
    qshama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    im from uk :).......
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

Any time someone cracks a joke, it goes downhill. Humor has a rough time on the net.

yes, but we have to keep trying, some people do get it :laugh:
  • whizzywoe89
    Options
    I live in arkansas:smile: :
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

^ lol..