I'm having issues

Options
2»

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Just like others have said...plan plan plan. Log ALL of your planned calories at the beginning of the day and change as needed. Make a meal plan for a week at a time so you take the thinking out of it on a day to day basis.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I am just a guy with no real knowledge in the nutrition/diet area. Please keep that in mind.

This is just my personal approach - As the saying goes: 'Different strokes for different folks'.

First - Record everything you eat. Don't cheat on yourself, if the food isn't listed in the DB go find it and record it as accurately as possible for everything you put in your mouth.

Second - Look at every calorie you consume before you eat it. Make the determination if that food is in your best interest to your long term goal and make a short term goal to PUT IT DOWN if it's not part of your plan.

Third - Plan your meals for the day (and the week ahead). Once you have foods you have decided to use in your 'new life' it will be fun (I find) to plan your meals, set out the calories. Make a list of these foods and shop them after a week or two you will have a good grouping of the foods you should have and will be able to mix and match and create enjoyable meals that you will feel good about eating. I recommend staying away from high sugar fruits. Meats for me are Fish (all kinds oh yeah), lean beef, turkey, chicken. All manner of veggies (raw, steamed, grilled, broiled). Salads with salmon, turkey, or chicken on them with your favorite low cal dressing (yum).

Fourth- (This really is just for me maybe not for you; you decide) - I cut out all grains, no breads, muffins, cerals, corns, (no taters either). I like it alot.

Fifth - Snacking is acceptable but find the right snack in the right proportions. And record them accurately.

Sixth - I have seen where some folks have a blow out on MFP, tell their story and pick themselves up, an move on. Just keep moving forward.

Seventh - plan some 'get up and move around' activities away from the house (or at least away from the kitchen).

Seventh- DON"T PANIC--- You can do this, take the first step (away from the junk).

P.S. - Drink your water.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What kind of junk are you eating? I find that if I write down what I eat before I put the food in my mouth, it is a wake up call. Once you see that number in front of you, it makes you think if that 300 calorie candy bar is worth it because it will cut into your daily intake.

One thing I am big on is trying to find the source of your hunger. Are you eating because you are actually hungry or is more to fill some kind of emotional need? There is a huge difference between emotional hunger and physical hunger. I used to eat when I wasn't hungry due to either boredom, stress or anger. One day I stood there and thought, why do I want this particular food? What am I getting out of eating all of this food when I am not even hungry? I have to think about why I am eating when I am not hungry. It takes time to realize the difference. I also learned that I didn't have to give up the things i love. I can have them in moderation so long as I keep track of what I am eating and don't overindulge.

If you are eating foods that you don't like and giving everything up that you do, it makes eating junk and overeating easier to do.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Try and resist buying the junk foods when you go shopping - having a big meal before your trip to the supermarket should help :-)
    And then when you want to eat something you will find no junk food in your fridge / cupboards only fruit - healthy snacks - yoghurts etc that you bought
    Half the reason we eat junk is because it's there and it's handy
    Good luck
    Rach x x

I couldn't have said it better myself! I quit buying a lot of my temptation foods altogether, and thank God my hubby likes stuff that I don't :smile: At first it can be hard, but you will get used to it. If you have certain things that you just CAN'T live without, try to find an alternative to it. Have you checked out Hungry Girl? Lots of different swaps that won't leave you feeling guilty and ruin your day.

Good Luck girl! :flowerforyou:
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me when I was first getting started was to look at food through exercise. For example one of my all-time worst indulgences is a small Carmel Frappe from McDonald's which has 450 calories. (Yes it is a ton for the amount you get, only 12oz!) I'd have to walk 120 minutes at a leisurely pace (2.5 mph) or do 40 minutes on the elliptical on top of my regular exercise to burn that off ! (You can look at it based on whatever exercise you want.) So then I just ask myself, "Do I really want to do the work for the treat?" Sometimes its yes so I make sure I burn it all off, but more often than not I decide against the high calorie treats. Try something like that and maybe it will work for you too!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Try and remember that by eating foods full of salt, sugar and additives that you will get a high from that food then you will crash. You will then want more sugar and more junk to get that feeling back again, it is a bit like a drug! If you get into this cycle it is difficult to break out of. Go cold turkey on processed foods and you will no longer crave them as your body will be wanting healthy and nutritious foods.

It is much easier then to have these foods once in a while as a treat, as long as you don't get sucked in to this cycle.

Good luck. xxx

Thank you, that's really helpful! I didn't know that!