Cottage cheese HOW DO I?

Options
I want to like cottage cheese SO bad, such a power food!!! How/what do you eat it with?!

I just bought some Nancy's Organic low fat cottage cheese, it's so packed with Protein and I need this in my diet, being a vegetarian it is very hard to keep my protein / fat / carb ratio where I am happy and feeling prime. Cottage cheese seems like my miracle cheese/yogurt thing....... but today was literally the first bite I've ever taken in my life, I have always refused. What do you recommend? What's your favorite way to indulge on the curds?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is to mix in a spoonful of low sugar orange marmalade. Yum! Disclaimer: not a good idea if you don't like orange marmalade. :tongue:
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Mix 2Tbl cottage cheese with 2Tbl whipped cream cheese. Spread on one toasted multi grain waffle. On a second toasted waffle spread no sugar fruit preserves. Place together like a sandwich for breakfast. about 310 calories. very yummy
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I usually eat it by itself with salt/pepper, but I've eaten it

Bagel, cottage cheese, tuna on top. Toasted if you're into that.

Cottage cheese and shredded buffalo chicken in a tortilla wrap. Maybe some hummus to hold it all together. DELISH.

I don't particularly love cottage cheese for the taste, but I love the protein it packs.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fruits- usually peaches or strawberries.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese so I just eat it plain. But I don't tend to eat it very often anymore because the sodium is so high and the low sodium versions taste kind of funky.

But I would tell you that if you don't like, don't force yourself to eat it. There are other ways to get protein. Look for some plain Greek yogurt and sweeten it with some stevia or honey, or even just regular cheeses, rather than the cottage cheese.

And assuming that if you're eating cheese you're okay with eggs as well, so hardboiled eggs as a snack are great (or scrambled, fried, poached, etc).
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    I usually eat it by itself with salt/pepper, but I've eaten it

Bagel, cottage cheese, tuna on top. Toasted if you're into that.

Cottage cheese and shredded buffalo chicken in a tortilla wrap. Maybe some hummus to hold it all together. DELISH.

I don't particularly love cottage cheese for the taste, but I love the protein it packs.

She's a vegetarian. :wink:
  • bitsyland
    Options
    I have eaten it with sliced peaches in natural juices since I was a kid...Love it for a sweet treat :)
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ha! Whoops. Ignore the meat-eater's post then.

:)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I drain and rinse canned pears or peaches and eat cottage cheese with either. I have to be in a mood for cc lol
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat it with few slices of fresh pineapple. I don't like cottage cheese either but I eat them because of the nutrients.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    These responses are amazing. I stopped eating yogurt because I'm trying to reduce the amount of fat in my diet, most greek yogurts I've found just add cream to make it as nice and thick as it is, and I don't want to add sugar anywhere in my diet really.

I'm sure I'll figure it out by experimentation, this is going to be exciting.

I don't like meat substitutes and I can only eat SO many eggs. I feel like there is a place cottage cheese will fit just perfectly, just have to find it. I barely dip into sodium, so I can't imagine that hurting my efforts. I'm more of a pepper girl, so I like that idea, just something to balance it out.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    I do eat fish sometimes, but only because I have a hard time keeping my protein levels up.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it with chopped tomatoes and season with lemon pepper.

I also have a cottage cheese cake (low fat) recipe. Or I used to. (I should check.)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you can make divine rolls with it, too (if you're not opposed to whole wheat).
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    These responses are amazing. I stopped eating yogurt because I'm trying to reduce the amount of fat in my diet, most greek yogurts I've found just add cream to make it as nice and thick as it is, and I don't want to add sugar anywhere in my diet really.

I'm sure I'll figure it out by experimentation, this is going to be exciting.

I don't like meat substitutes and I can only eat SO many eggs. I feel like there is a place cottage cheese will fit just perfectly, just have to find it. I barely dip into sodium, so I can't imagine that hurting my efforts. I'm more of a pepper girl, so I like that idea, just something to balance it out.

Try Fage Greek Yogurt. It's an actual traditional twice strained yogurt that you can get in 0% fat versions. And there aren't any added sugars, only whatever natural sugar there is from the lactose, the same as the sugars in the cottage cheese. I do the 0% Fage with a packet or two of sugar free sweetener and it's great. Maybe add some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for an extra kick. I'll even mix in a few tablespoons of pureed pumpkin along with the pumpkin pie spice and that's my favorite. :)

And, believe it or not, I've actually done cottage cheese with a serving or two of unsweetened dark cocoa powder. It was very rich and quite tasty.
  • bdazzle55
    Options
    I personally really like cottage cheese with blueberries! Really yummy combo :)
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    sometimes with clementines and apples

sometimes with a sprinkle of lawrys

or mixed with salsa and scooped on corn chips

but i really really love putting a scoop on like a plate of hot lasagna or chili.

if you dont like it, dont force yourself so much other good healthy foods
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I use it in lasagna and ziti dishes instead of ricotta for the extra protein, and because it's usually much cheaper.

I also eat it with honey and berries as a dessert. Super yum
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I cant stand cottage cheese by itself...sooo...
    For dinner. I mixed :

cottage cheese,
    one egg,
    cumin
    black pepper
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    check for salt

blend it all and make Pancakes!!!!:drinker:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    So I take it you enjoyed it?

If you did I love mine on baked potato, with fruit especially pineapples, on salad, or I like it with lemon pepper, tomatoes, and onion