Replies

• Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    This is all very interesting to me. I have been sugar free for 5 years and I work hard at only consuming whole grains. I love my daily dairy fix, not a lot, but I do love cheese. I think this would be harder with my lifestyle. I tried Atkins for almost 20 weeks. I lost weight in the first 8 but not a pound after that. When I stopped and went back to moderate eating (still not sugar and limited processed stuff) I gained back every pound plus. I am curious, because not everyone has a ticker, how are you doing with weightloss on this diet? Lioness, How long have you been eating this way and what have been your results? Do you have a lot of weight to lose? I am in my final 10.

D

Well for me, I have been doing some type of low carb eating plan off and on since 2003.

I did Atkins from 2003 to last fall, then switched over to Primal Blue Print. The only times I have went off is when financially we could not afford the plethora of fresh meats, nuts, veggies and nuts or when I suffered severe depression.

I had good results with Atkins until I got to the ladder rung of adding in grains, beans and legumes............that derailed me with lots of carb cravings and caused weight gain. That is mostly why I started looking at the Primal Blue Print as it is much like Atkins, without the beans, legumes and grains.................
  • chairdr
    chairdr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just skipped dinner last night.. Like PB says... its in your head. i had lunch @ 2 pm. next meal was @ 9:30 am today. did not effect my life @ all. I work late on Wednesday, so it was easy to skip without giving up my family time that dinner is. I am going to try it regularly on wednesdays. If you get close to your calories for the day, than any hunger needs to be considered as just in your head.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I just skipped dinner last night.. Like PB says... its in your head. i had lunch @ 2 pm. next meal was @ 9:30 am today. did not effect my life @ all. I work late on Wednesday, so it was easy to skip without giving up my family time that dinner is. I am going to try it regularly on wednesdays. If you get close to your calories for the day, than any hunger needs to be considered as just in your head.

I am dabbling a bit with IF. I like the freedom of not having to "have" food to eat.............right now my body is getting back in the swing of things, so after I get my insulin levels under control I will start partaking in IF more.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I subscribe to carb wire and this issue included some great blogs to check out concerning Paleo and other low carb lifestyles.......

Thought I would share with you all too.

http://www.carbwire.com/2010/05/06/19-more-low-carb-paleo-health-blogs-that-warrant-your-attention-in-may-2010
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to carb wire and this issue included some great blogs to check out concerning Paleo and other low carb lifestyles.......

http://www.carbwire.com/2010/05/06/19-more-low-carb-paleo-health-blogs-that-warrant-your-attention-in-may-2010

Thank you for this link. I plan to check it out. I have been eating primally for almost a month now. I slip up, but I try not to beat myself up about it. I'm still a newbie....
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Thank you for this link. I plan to check it out. I have been eating primally for almost a month now. I slip up, but I try not to beat myself up about it. I'm still a newbie....

I still consider myself a newbie at the Primal lifestyle, and I have been eating this way off and on for almost a year. I don't even know why I go off and don't eat this way because I feel so much better when I do.

Last night I rendered bacon grease and filtered out the fragments. this weekend I am making beef tallow.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
    to check into more..interesting topic to learn more about, thanks gang!
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I bought some coconut oil and read that it can be used as a sub for cream or 1/2 & 1/2... gonna try it tomorrow in my coffee and will update. My hubs thinks I'm crazy for cutting the grains but what people don't understand is that if you don't feel restricted you aren't!

Are you sure it wasn't Coconut MILK instead of oil? I can't say I've heard of coconut oil in coffee, although I use it in everything to cook with.

The longer I've gone without grains and sugar, the better I feel!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I bought some coconut oil and read that it can be used as a sub for cream or 1/2 & 1/2... gonna try it tomorrow in my coffee and will update. My hubs thinks I'm crazy for cutting the grains but what people don't understand is that if you don't feel restricted you aren't!

Are you sure it wasn't Coconut MILK instead of oil? I can't say I've heard of coconut oil in coffee, although I use it in everything to cook with.

The longer I've gone without grains and sugar, the better I feel!!

I got the coconut oil in the coffee thing from the ladies on low carb friends website. I like the oil slick that coconut oil gives in hot tea and my coffee.
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    Here's a great article that was on Mark's website, not sure if you guys saw it:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

I've learned a ton and now see the benefit to NOT having grains in my diet....95% of the time. :drinker:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Here's a great article that was on Mark's website, not sure if you guys saw it:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

I've learned a ton and now see the benefit to NOT having grains in my diet....95% of the time. :drinker:

I needed this article before I ate supper...............Have done well all week long and tonight I had Dreamsfield Pasta mixed with stir fry veggies. I now have brain fog.............

I know better, but it sounded good.
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    Well, that's why we move on and don't look back. I re-read some of Mark's book last night and loved how refreshing it was. I've gotten a lot of back lash from dietitian friends that think Primal eating is a "trend" with the no grains, no fat-free/low-fat food. It's surprising they won't read the information, instead judge based on what "scientists" tell them to believe is tried and true.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Mm....okay, can someone point me in the direction of a website or book please? :smile: I follow Atkins...except this kinda sounds more like how I eat...actually I feel like I'm a cross between the two. So now I'd love to read more! I'm seeing that PBP is no grains, beans, legumes etc? I couldn't tell you the last time I've had rice, I eat beans a few times a month....I really am just totally happy chowing down on some beef/chicken/seafood and lots of greens!! Tell me more guys!! :flowerforyou:

Edit...yeah...wait...I like my low carb multi grain wraps. LOL. So still a grain. Hmm...I sometimes forget the small things I eat that are considered grains!! :laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Mm....okay, can someone point me in the direction of a website or book please? :smile: I follow Atkins...except this kinda sounds more like how I eat...actually I feel like I'm a cross between the two. So now I'd love to read more! I'm seeing that PBP is no grains, beans, legumes etc? I couldn't tell you the last time I've had rice, I eat beans a few times a month....I really am just totally happy chowing down on some beef/chicken/seafood and lots of greens!! Tell me more guys!! :flowerforyou:

Edit...yeah...wait...I like my low carb multi grain wraps. LOL. So still a grain. Hmm...I sometimes forget the small things I eat that are considered grains!! :laugh:

Primal Blue Print follows the 80/20 rule, so that would allow you to still have your wrap on occasion...............

I actually eat a cross between Atkins and Primal Blue Print.............

You can still follow Atkins and implement some of the PBP principles.............

Check out marksdailyapple.com You can read about it and also order the book from that site too.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Well, that's why we move on and don't look back. I re-read some of Mark's book last night and loved how refreshing it was. I've gotten a lot of back lash from dietitian friends that think Primal eating is a "trend" with the no grains, no fat-free/low-fat food. It's surprising they won't read the information, instead judge based on what "scientists" tell them to believe is tried and true.

I am re-reading it also...................Yes it is refreshing to read over, especially since so much applies to me.

Since half *kitten* following Primal Blue Print I have been able to reverse my diabetes back to insulin rsistance and now I am working to reverse the insulin resistance back to me being normal...........that will take time, but I have made a step in the right direction at least.

I am also going through pituitary, adrenal, hypo-thalmus and thyroid issues, and trying to find a doctor that will treat my issues is a pain staking method. I am losing weight, but OMG it is sooo slow. It is frustrating!!!

I am going to a naturopathic doctor soon, so hopefully I will just go back to this route for my health.

I really don't think that PBP is a trend, neither are plans such as Atkins either. The science and the research is starting to show that saturated fats are not the enemy and it does our body more harm to cut the fat than it does to eat it!!!

Let them eat FAT..............in reference to the old saying.............."Let them eat CAKE". LOL :laugh: :laugh:
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options

Primal Blue Print follows the 80/20 rule, so that would allow you to still have your wrap on occasion...............

You can still follow Atkins and implement some of the PBP principles.............

Check out marksdailyapple.com You can read about it and also order the book from that site too.

Thanks July! I'll have to give the website a good look when I have lots of time. I'm always at my happiest with lots of meat and veggies in front of me, although lunch is made easier by wraps (plus the variety is nice) and I still like to eat my chocolate sometimes. Have you read the book? I'm thinking of checking to see if my local library has it. :smile:
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Thanks July! I'll have to give the website a good look when I have lots of time. I'm always at my happiest with lots of meat and veggies in front of me, although lunch is made easier by wraps (plus the variety is nice) and I still like to eat my chocolate sometimes. Have you read the book? I'm thinking of checking to see if my local library has it. :smile:

Yes, I bought the book last year in August. Read it and now re-reading it again................I recently bought the cook book too.

You can have your chocolate on PBP and red wine too.............Meat and Veggies are like the mainstay of the plan (just like Atkins).

When I make wraps, I use Romaine lettuce leaves for the "wrap" and then put ice berg lettuce in with the meat, cheese and other veggies............

You could still have your wraps at lunch!!!

This book is worth the $$$ to purchase it. It will change your whole thinking toward what we thought we knew about healthy eating and exercise...............
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Currently I am on atkins and doing very well on it but I have been reading about the primal blue print and I really just need to get the book and read it.

I eat very low carb (I try to stay within a range of 20 but no more than 100 carbs daily) , drink lots of water (100-120 oz. daily) and eat high protein/fat. I have not eaten a grain in FOREVER , I eat nothing processed (except for atkins breakfast bars). Not sure if I could make anything better on my plan but thinking about getting the PBP book and checking it out!! Thanks for the information.