Feeling insecure at the gym?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I usually dont but last night was bad. I was the only female in the weights area pumping heavy iron and just felt so insecure even though I knew noone was paying any attention to me.

There were men for Africa in there and all I wanted to do was get out quick. I even cut one exercise a set short :( Just not feeling great body image wise at the moment tis all

Back to early morning sessions for me!

Men from Africa?
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Forget the others, put in some earphones and work your butt off. You're not there for anyone else other than yourself. However I was slightly the same as you when I first began going again, and stuck to the cardio equipment, but slowly but surely I crossed to the gym machines and eventually free weights. As I lost some weight and had a trainer show me how to use bits of equipment etc properly, I found lots more confidence.

Classes are great and have a huge mix of participants. I'd suggest getting a trainer for a session or two just to show you how to use the weight machines etc. That'll surely give you some more confidence. In the mean time, ignore the others - you may think people are thinking and talking about you, but Im sure they're too busy focusing on their own sessions and if they're not - show and shut those girls up! Invest in an iPod too.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I usually dont but last night was bad. I was the only female in the weights area pumping heavy iron and just felt so insecure even though I knew noone was paying any attention to me.

There were men for Africa in there and all I wanted to do was get out quick. I even cut one exercise a set short :( Just not feeling great body image wise at the moment tis all

Men from Africa?

No, I meant what I wrote "for Africa" It's a saying for "lots of"
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for months now and I still feel like this! My problem is that because I'm a student gym access is free at my school (which is great problem to have, I know) but it also means that groups of sorority girls, cheerleaders, football players etc. are constantly in there working out and making me feel uncomfortable. I do what others have said and put my ear buds in and try to ignore them. I've found going when its less crowded works for me too, of course there are some days when the crowd is unavoidable and I still do my best to go. Other than that just remember no one is looking at you, everyone is there to work out (hopefully!) so they're just trying to get through their workout like you are.

Also, as weird as it sounds I've kind of learned to appreciate the feeling. Its kind of corny to say but it means that you're trying new things. I'm pretty comfortable on the elliptical and the machines I've been using all along but now I'm trying some new ones and I'm always insecure on those (is everyone looking at me? am I doing it wrong? etc.), next up I want to trying swimming but I'm a little too insecure for that yet. I guess my point is, let the insecurity be a reminder that you're pushing yourself outside your comfort zone to try new things so you should always be just a little insecure, I think.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Men from Africa?

No, I meant what I wrote "for Africa" It's a saying for "lots of"

I misread the for. I still don't understand. There were men for lots of Africa? What are you trying to say here?
  • KateKatelyn
    Options
    My gym is fine in the cardio section, everyone seems to be minding their buisness but everytime I go to the strength training section , its where I see all those people..I like doing cardio but I heard I should also do strength training
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My gym is fine in the cardio section, everyone seems to be minding their buisness but everytime I go to the strength training section , its where I see all those people..I like doing cardio but I heard I should also do strength training

Do these people actually say anything to you, or are you just intimidated/scared and possibly thinking they're looking down on you because you're looking down on yourself?

It's easier said than done, but talk to people! For the most part people in gyms are very friendly.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm the same weight as you, give or take. Have the same issues!

At some point, you're gonna have to say to yourself "Screw what they think, I'm here for me." Why does it matter what someone else thinks, as it isn't anyone's business but yours what you do. Many people were once where we all are now, wanting to get in shape and look our best.

It isn't likely anyone is paying attention to you anyways. I'm sure the extent of what they pay attention to is your etiquette--IE if you wipe the machine down, if they're waiting for a machine, etc =)
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I go very early in the morning, usually before 7:00, when there are very few people there. In my case, I go that early because I never have to wait to use the weight machines.

One thing that helps is knowing that nobody starts day 1 at the gym looking like an Olympic athlete. Everybody is there for the same reason.

Another thing: most gyms have rules against shaming. If someone gives you a hard time, they can get kicked out.

Congrats on your weight loss. You're doing great.
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    those little-waisted girls might be silently cheering for you...
  • pds_grammy
    Options
    Don't feel that way. For all you know the people you're speaking about may have been larger in the past and worked to get where you are trying to get yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere. I've been through several experiences when I've wanted to give up going to the gym myself. I've had changes in my work sechedule that made it difficult for me to get to the gym, but I got there. I've had surgeries (including a shoulder replacement) that made some times burdensome, but I got there.

Right now I'm dealing with a lifestyle change and a lot of baggage over last year, and I've gained a "few" pounds. Part of my problem is that my husband is a terrible dieter and I've allowed myself to follow his lead. So, I have a closet of clothes I need to get back into. And I WILL.

Well, one of the instructors whose class I take put me onto myfitnesspal. I JUST signed up tonight and, after putting in today's foods I'm finding out it's my sedentary time that's apparently my problem. Luckily for me my gym has a pool. So, beginning Friday (my next gym class) it's into the pool for 45 min BEFORE my body flex class.

Yup. And if not the pool it's the track. I'm in my late 50's, and I'm NOT a Barbie doll by any means. The bathing suit has looked much better on me just a few years ago, but I'll be a swimmin' and I don't care who sees me!

You're trying to take care of yourself, don't let these strangers get you down.

Forgot to ask if you've looked into classes there....when you take a body flex class you choose the weight you use so it's as easy or as difficult as you make it. Just a thought.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those small waisted gals at the gym and trust me, I'm not judging you nor anyone else. Ok I did judge the women at the pool who argued and argued about not being able to be in one of the pools with their babies during adult swim and then they got in anyways and argued some more with the manager, another day I judged the women who jumped over me as I was cleaning up my stuff so they could get a spot in the next class, but other than those types of rude behavior - no judgment.

To be honest I feel incredibly insecure in the weight area to the point where I can easily talk myself out of it if by myself and go to a cardio class instead despite how determined I was to lift. If I saw you doing your thing in the weight room I would probably be in awe of you while feeling like I didn't really know what I was doing. Unless someone is being overtly rude to you I wouldn't assume anything.

If you are constantly feeling like people are judging you perhaps it is a confidence issue. Fake it til you make it, at least that is what I am doing. It worked today, I actually completed my plans and I was there alone.
  • Theplateauqueen
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am more like a dirigible than an athlete, and it is very hard some days to put on the attitude.

I actually noticed today that one of those girls was sucking in her stomach and pulling down her shirt. The truth is that they may be self-righteous, judgmental shmoos. If that is the case, you don't really want to impress them anyway. However, as I really thought about today, they are probably more concerned about their own body image than about you.

Hang in there. I am right with you.
  • Rochie78
    Rochie78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. I have no problem doing the cardio, but I am so shy about doing the weight machines, especially the ones I am not familiar with. I know I have to do them to look and feel the way I want. Luckily my gym has a womens section, so I promised myself to go in there tomorrow morning until I get comfortable. I can't let others get in the way of what I want, because of what I *think* they are thinking. Good luck!
  • KateKatelyn
    Options
    I hope to look fit like those small waisted girls but I know it'll take time for that to happen, btw my favorite thing at the gym is the elliptical lol I do 90 minutes of it sometimes
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    What makes you feel like they act superior to you? Are you sure you're not just projecting your insecurities?

Anyways, I'm sometimes insecure when I see dudes that are younger and smaller than me lifting more weight than I can, but it helps to remember that I'll probably surpass them within a couple months if I remain dedicated.
  • KateKatelyn
    Options
    I go very early in the morning, usually before 7:00, when there are very few people there. In my case, I go that early because I never have to wait to use the weight machines.

One thing that helps is knowing that nobody starts day 1 at the gym looking like an Olympic athlete. Everybody is there for the same reason.

Another thing: most gyms have rules against shaming. If someone gives you a hard time, they can get kicked out.

Congrats on your weight loss. You're doing great.

I only go 3-4 times a week, because I go with my brother...using his membership. Im really broke, I can't afford my own gym membership. he goes at night time for 2 hours,..so I have no choice in what time I go to the gym :/ I think I have to stop putting myself down all the time, when I went into that gym I told myself I wouldn't pay any attention to anyone in there..I was there for the only purpose of losing some weight. I will still continue going to the gym as long as I can, I know I don't look like an athlete but I will someday :)
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have so been there! I used to feel very self-conscious because I would push myself hard and get red in the face and sweat like crazy, but the truth is that most people are really just concerned with themselves and what they're trying to accomplish at the gym. They might even have respect for you for working so hard (if they happen to notice). Just remind yourself that everyone else is there to work out, and that's what you're there for too. You might start to feel progressively better about it once you see some progress from your workouts.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I'm not discouraging you from trying to conquer that fear, but personally I don't even do strength training at the gym. I mostly go just to use the elliptical or run on the treadmill when the weather is bad. I have a set of barbells I use at home for lifting weights and do other strength training exercises at home that use my own body weight for resistance. There's a lot you can do for strength training at home as long as you have just a little space.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey I am one of those "thin people" at the gym and I can tell you that when I see anyone who looks like they are TRYING to do something to improve themselves I am VERY impressed that they are taking this step, I know it is very hard for you to be doing this, and I am very happy to see you there, trying to do a positive thing for yourself. Believe me, ANYONE who walks into a new gym for the first time feels like everyone is staring at them and forming an opinion....I just started in a new gym myself and even though I've been a "gym rat" for years, it was hard for me to go in there the first time! You paid your membership money just like me and you have every right to be there and using whatever equipment you want to. Anyone who condescends or worse, acts posessive about the machines, weights, etc. is an *kitten* as far as I'm concerned and not worth your notice. They should be encouraging you instead of being negative. You go girl!!!!!