When is 1200 calories appropriate? (hint: almost never)

Options

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If anyone has tried the Net Diary Calorie Counter (I tried that one before MFP) it can even suggest 800-900 calories as your maximum. Not healthy, but after nearly starving myself and being completely miserable I switched to MFP and so 1200 feels like a feast for me.

That being said, I'm not hungry on 1200, and when I feel its not enough, I'll readjust my calories. I'm tired of justifying my calorie intake.

If you don't do well on 1200 calories, don't eat 1200 calories, but don't dictate to other people.

It's really that simple.

who here on this thread demanded that you justify your calorie intake? i certainly didn't. nobody here is dictating anything to you. if you have taken the time to inform yourself and have chosen to be on a VLCD and risk whatever side effects may come your way, then good luck to you. i hope it works out for you.

I didn't say on this thread. I meant in general.

I just feel that 1200 is not for everyone, but for some people it works, yet there is such a big debate about it on these forums.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

please do yourself a favor and find out the right calorie goal for yourself that allows you to change your body in a healthy and satisfying way. you don't need to starve yourself and you don't need to suffer the side effects of a 1200 calorie diet.

I did exactly this, and guess what?? I found that 1200 per day is the appropriate calorie goal for me to lose 1 pound per week. Wow. Guess I must be a unique snowflake to fall outside your standards of what I should be eating. And the only side effects I am 'suffering' is being 37 lbs down, and stronger and healthier than I have been in 12 years.
  • sonyayoung18
    sonyayoung18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If anyone has tried the Net Diary Calorie Counter (I tried that one before MFP) it can even suggest 800-900 calories as your maximum. Not healthy, but after nearly starving myself and being completely miserable I switched to MFP and so 1200 feels like a feast for me.

That being said, I'm not hungry on 1200, and when I feel its not enough, I'll readjust my calories. I'm tired of justifying my calorie intake.

If you don't do well on 1200 calories, don't eat 1200 calories, but don't dictate to other people.

It's really that simple.

who here on this thread demanded that you justify your calorie intake? i certainly didn't. nobody here is dictating anything to you. if you have taken the time to inform yourself and have chosen to be on a VLCD and risk whatever side effects may come your way, then good luck to you. i hope it works out for you.

1200 calories per day is not and will never be considered a VLCD. It is considered a BDD or LCD (Balanced daily diet or Low calorie diet) depending on which medical authority you look at. A VLCD is 800 calories or less (some research goes as low as 400 calories per day). A VLCD can be dangerous because it is extremely difficult to get balanced nutrition (except in certain cases of healthy vegan diets) most doctors (like those who provide lap band or other surgical weight loss methods) provide supplements which is why it should only be done under the authority and supervision of a medical professional.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My BMR according to F2F is 1280
    TDEE is 1505. How many cals do you advise for me?
    5 feet tall, 53 years old, low activity, 134 lb.
    Thank you!

This describes me, except I am 49. I have my calorie intake set to my BMR (1283), I log my excercise cals and actually do try to eat them back. It isn't always easy for me to do that. At the end of the day when I have had all I want and log in the dinner, I am usually surpised on excercise days that I did not meet goal, still under. On days I don't excercise, I am usually ravenous and go over, so it balances out in the long run. For us 1% these are the numbers. :(
  • peachfigs
    Options

aside - i'm a bit saddened to see that a handful of people who are determined to stick to their 1200 calorie mindset have decided to come into this thread to defend their belief that 1200 is fine. for a small percentage of people it can be fine. for another percentage of people, there's nothing anyone can say to dissuade them. this thread is not for either of those 2 groups of people. it's for the people who are new, who are confused, or who are frustrated because 1200 is no longer working for them. however, i feel that the attempts to derail this thread into specific debates about specific people and their specific circumstances undermines the usefulness of these public forums and that's why i would re-iterate to those seeking assistance that they should check out the 2 links i posted in at the top of the thread. inform yourself. decide for yourself. try to ignore those personal agendas that are attempting to derail this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Yet it's okay for those who are against the 1200 calorie diet to derail other threads? I've had my threads derailed several times with comments about my 1200 calorie intake that weren't even called for.

And anyway, I'm not derailing, I'm just adding to the discussion so it's not so one sided. Different opinions are GOOD. :happy:
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As someone relatively new to MFP without great knowledge of nutrition, I started on 1200, lost 8lb along with exercise. I hit a plateau and have upped my calories to 1400-1500, waiting for my weigh in to see how it goes, I doubt I will be lowering them back to 1200, but each to their own!
  • peachfigs
    Options

please do yourself a favor and find out the right calorie goal for yourself that allows you to change your body in a healthy and satisfying way. you don't need to starve yourself and you don't need to suffer the side effects of a 1200 calorie diet.

I did exactly this, and guess what?? I found that 1200 per day is the appropriate calorie goal for me to lose 1 pound per week. Wow. Guess I must be a unique snowflake to fall outside your standards of what I should be eating. And the only side effects I am 'suffering' is being 37 lbs down, and stronger and healthier than I have been in 12 years.

Seriously. Give it a rest and quit trying to tell everyone else what they should be doing. Get over yourself, and whatever insecurity you have in your life that makes you feel that you must control everyone else. Control yourself. That is all you can do.

^ Go girl! :love:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I lost and gained the same 7lbs for 12 months eating 1200. Now, in a fraction of that time, I have lost 9lbs following the Roadmap (eating around 1600 calories a day plus exercise calories). And the weight is continuining to drop off. I'm not as grouchy, I drink alcohol, I have the energy to run and lift weights, my skin is better, I'm less hungry and far happier.

How do you lose and gain at the same calorie level?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    if you are a sedentary 38-year old woman, who is 4'10" and weighs 115lbs and does not exercise, then your TDEE-20% would be approximately 1200 calories.

if you are:

more active than that...
    and/or younger than that...
    and/or male...
    and/or taller than that...
    and/or weigh more than that...
    and/or engage in cardiovascular exercise, then

you should almost certainly be eating MORE than 1200 calories per day.

i would hazard to guess that 99+% of the people on MFP are in the category that should be eating more than 1200 calories. 1200 calories per day is almost certainly too low for almost everyone who does not have an unusual medical condition requiring a low calorie intake, in which case that person would have to be under medical supervision.

if you are new here or are trying to adhere to a 1200 calorie diet because you heard that's what you need to do to lose weight, i would urge you to read through Dan's Roadmap:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

when you are done, join the Eat, Train, Progress group run by 2 knowledgeable members who are trying to provide a safe harbor where accurate, scientifically sound health, nutrition, and fitness advice can be given without all of the background noise occasionally found in the public forums.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Reposting the original post to remind anyone who has just joined in what this thread is about. Sensible advice for anyone who has tried 1200 calories a day and found it hasn't worked for them.

Each to their own, but for anyone (newcomers in particular) who is struggling on 1200, the advice from WinnerVictorious is really, really helpful. It's not a "you must do this" post but simply a signpost towards an easier way to lose weight.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

It's really that simple.

who here on this thread demanded that you justify your calorie intake?

You did. When you started this ridiculous, judgmental thread, declaring your infinite wisdom about everyone else and what their calorie needs are. Reread your OP.

i really don't know how to respond to this. we must use completely different dictionaries and speak completely different languages because there is nothing ridiculous nor judgemental about anything i've posted here on this thread.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Yawns. *eye roll*

I'm always amazed at the amount of people so focused on what other people are doing and eating....

This^^
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    i think youre presuming that people on 1200 calories are starving? im certainly not.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

It's really that simple.

1200 calories per day is not and will never be considered a VLCD. It is considered a BDD or LCD (Balanced daily diet or Low calorie diet) depending on which medical authority you look at. A VLCD is 800 calories or less (some research goes as low as 400 calories per day). A VLCD can be dangerous because it is extremely difficult to get balanced nutrition (except in certain cases of healthy vegan diets) most doctors (like those who provide lap band or other surgical weight loss methods) provide supplements which is why it should only be done under the authority and supervision of a medical professional.

How is 1200 calories a BDD?
    For clarity neither is 2000 a BDD

it's not the number of calories that makes a balanced diet, it's the quality of calories.
    It is possible to have inadequate nutrition on both numbers.

The 1200 calories was not plucked out of teh air by MFP - the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.
    if you took the minimum recommended daily protein, carbs, fat, etc, it would add up to 1200 calories, but conversly eating 1200 doesn't automatically mean you reach the nutritional minimums.

MFP has to set a lower limit somewhere, but I'll bet if it was set at 800, we would be having the same discussion about 800 calories, because so many people believe they need to drop to the lowest they can to get any progress.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Reposting the original post to remind anyone who has just joined in what this thread is about. Sensible advice for anyone who has tried 1200 calories a day and found it hasn't worked for them.

Each to their own, but for anyone (newcomers in particular) who is struggling on 1200, the advice from WinnerVictorious is really, really helpful. It's not a "you must do this" post but simply a signpost towards an easier way to lose weight.

Too bad the original post didn't have the "found it hasn't worked for them" caveat. It might have been more well received than just the blanket "do this or you're wrong" pronouncement.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I lost and gained the same 7lbs for 12 months eating 1200. Now, in a fraction of that time, I have lost 9lbs following the Roadmap (eating around 1600 calories a day plus exercise calories). And the weight is continuining to drop off. I'm not as grouchy, I drink alcohol, I have the energy to run and lift weights, my skin is better, I'm less hungry and far happier.

I can only put it down to my body being really unhappy with getting calories way below my BMR for months upon end. I was constantly hungry, my skin was constantly breaking out and I felt utterly miserable. I also struggled to do any endurance sport (up to six hours of mountain climbing most weekends) despite eating back my exercise calories. My body was being starved.

Once I started eating a calorie intake above my BMR, I felt tonnes better and the weight started shifting. Best of all my endurance when doing sport has gone through the roof and my bodyfat percentage has noticeably dropped.
  • peachfigs
    Options

Too bad the original post didn't have the "found it hasn't worked for them" caveat. It might have been more well received than just the blanket "do this or you're wrong" pronouncement.

Yes, and maybe less of this:

"1200 calories per day is almost certainly too low for almost everyone who does not have an unusual medical condition requiring a low calorie intake, in which case that person would have to be under medical supervision. "

"please do yourself a favor and find out the right calorie goal for yourself that allows you to change your body in a healthy and satisfying way. you don't need to starve yourself and you don't need to suffer the side effects of a 1200 calorie diet. "
  • tryinghard71
    Options

1200 net or 1200 gross. I wish people would be specific.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I personally have been really happy with the members posting threads about why 1200 is often too low and to check out the TDEE-20% way. I don't feel they're judgmental, to me it's like they're saying "hey everyone, you can eat more and still lose weight! Isn't that great?!" And for me that led to a big fat YAY!

I started out attempting 1200 and working out vigorously. But I was always hungry, always thinking of food, always tired, and progressively felt weaker. I think I would've totally fallen off the bandwagon had I not discovered these forums. Once I figured out my TDEE and saw I could eat up to 2350 calories and still lose weight, I was frickin ecstatic. I've been consistently losing 1-2lbs per week, I can eat a lot of food, and I'm no longer cranky, tired, and weak.

If you're *truly* happy with 1200, clearly these threads aren't for you. But I was really unhappy and had no idea what I was doing and threads like this are what saved me from giving up entirely. So, thank you OP. For every one person doing 1200 that you piss off with posts like this, at least there's another that you helped.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

there is no "do this or you're wrong" pronouncement in anything i've posted. i left plenty of wiggle room for those for whom 1200 is valid or for those who decide to adhere to 1200. words matter. i choose and parse my words carefully so that my meaning is clear. i'm dumbstruck at the notion than anyone can read what i've written, disregard what those words actually mean, and then invent a new meaning and attack me for something i didn't write.

:frown: