124»

Replies

• raviwong6
    raviwong6 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Workout DVDs: about $100 and I've had them since 2009
    Road bike: $225 I bought used from a friend in 2007
    Bike trainer: $250 I bought in 2007
    Weights: $0, I inherited some dumbells and about 100 pounds of weights from my cousin in 1995
    Running shoes: $90 every 6 months or so (got a pair for Christmas so I won't need to buy them until the summer)

I make due with what I have and really enjoy running around my town. I bike indoors during the winters and get a tune up for about $75 every spring before I take the riding outside. I do miss my gym membership, especially in the winter time when all my workouts are indoors and I'm limited by what I have in my house. But my monthly dues were about $50 a month and it was an expense I could live without.

This is what I'm NOT paying for:
    $15 per month: co-pay for blood pressure medication
    $15 per month: co-pay for cholesterol medication
    $20 per doctor: co-pay per visit due to being unhealthy
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I pay $76 dollars/month for my gym ($26 gym membership, $50 added on small group training with a personal trainer 10 times a month). I definitely think it's worth it as my gym has SO MUCH to offer!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    My gym membership is £15.99 and includes swimming and use of the gym. I've had the same dumbbells since I was 18 years old, but did spend £30 on new plates about 6 months ago and I spent £70 on running shoes about 6 months ago. I also have to keep buying new swimming shorts as I lose inches. I don't consider this a cost but an NSV. :happy:
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I pay £18 a month for my gym, about £40 a month extra on food because I eat more, and I eat better quality and more expensive stuff.

And currently at least £30 a month on clothes that fit my ever decreasing figure!
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Money Spent: $1,170 on Elliptical Machine, $60 on HRM, $50 on workout DVDs

Money (that will be) Saved: $200+ annually for years to come for copays for prescriptions and dr visits my GERD and asthma
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My gym is $50/mo but I get a lot of buy a month get a month coupons. And I use it almost every day so I don't feel too bad. Haven't bought new shoes or workout clothes in a long time so that's pretty much all I spend.

Although I could use headphones that actually stay in my ears, and my ferret stole my armband and I can't find it...
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well, it cost about 78 US dollars to buy my barbell weight set, another 70 ish US dollars for when I buy the bench to go with it. My aerobic step was given to me for free, and my legs move for free. I have kids who I am able to chase around for free except when they fall and we run out of bandaids. That's about 3 US dollars. So altogether I will have spent 148$ on my fitness related items, and I've been at it for over a year. And about once a month we need to get bandaids. So 3$ a month...Yup. Not too pricey for me.

However when I need a new wardrobe that will be another story ^_^
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    $56 a month---but we have a heated pool at the gym so we pretty much spend the entire summer there.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    What kind of university gym makes its own students pay?!

I work at a school and i get a free membership to the gym for begin staff, students get it free.. its what they have paid for through their tuition. Anything else is just wrong.

So thanks to my work, I don't have to pay for the gym..

The price of my fitness comes trough the fresh veg and groceries im buying more of now...

its retarded! its £80 a year and you cant even use the gym! its only so you can join sports clubs
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    So the other day i sat down and worked out how much im actually spending on fitness related things a month and it is terrible!
    A month it comes down to around £90!!!
    £16 gym membership a month
    £60 swimming (3 sessions a week) a month
    around £10 for university tennis a month!

Which is slightly ridiculous when you think about it. and the gym isnt even nice!

how much is everyone else spending?

About $50/month for my gym. I'd say clothes and shoes another $20/month if you average it out.

And worth every penny, to be quite honest. I'd rather eat a few home cooked meals to balance out the cost than continue to be out of shape.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    $25 for TKD classes, 3 times a week for 75 minute classes.
    Other than that, I use the treadmill and youtube
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    $720.00 a year ($60/month) for gym membership alone. Not including gas as it takes 40 minutes total minimum to and from the gym. Seriously considering starting to build my own gym at home.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Oh, lord. Not sure if I'll hit everything, but here's a try:

Gym membership (family) $85/month

Running shoes $100, probably 3 times a year

Workout clothes about $200-300/year

Training programs for HM $115 ($75 for one, $40 for the other)

Races: maybe $250/year

Add in my husband's shoes, clothes, and races, and we probably spend $3000-3600 per year, which averages out to about $250-300/month.

Doesn't seem so bad when I consider that back when we both worked and the kid was small, we used to go out to eat every Friday night, meaning we were dropping a similar amount per month on restaurants. We eat out less and work out more these days, which is one reason I'm no longer 200 pounds.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    $12 a pop for a yoga class, but I go because I like it and usually only a couple times a month. I would do fine with a $10 dvd or the internet.

Running shoes, but I find good deals on line and typically wear them well past 500 miles.

I do have a pull ups/dips tower, but I bought it many years ago on sale for around a $100 so...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Gym: $29.99
    I want to go to ballroom dancing $5 bucks a class per week.
    I need workout gloves (ugh! BLISTERS!) +/- $12 - one time
    My gym has all the classes I attend and a lap pool... Which I need to start using
    Hiking and walking is free as is bicycling

Plus I spend a lot about $160 a month on veggies and bread alone. a

And I need new shoes.. and new clothes, since mine are too big (no complaints!!).. and I broke my bike, it's ghetto rigged but I really need a new one. LOL

A friend of mine is giving me a weight bench.. so I might have to get a few weights soon..but that will be a one time outlay and i'm crusing craigslist, people are always moving around here and I'm considering getting 30DS.. so that's what.. 10 bucks?

Honestly.. I spend more than that each month on less important things, so it's really worth it.
    This is what I'm NOT paying for:
    $15 per month: co-pay for blood pressure medication
    $15 per month: co-pay for cholesterol medication
    $20 per doctor: co-pay per visit due to being unhealthy
    This is awesome!!

What I'm not paying for (hopefully) ever again. 1,000s to the hospital via co-pays and deductibles just for them to shrug and say we don't know whats going on.. + 20/40 dollars a pop for all the doctors just to tell me the same thing. I'll always need Vitamin D, but will be glad to be without the medications my family and friends take and all the other expenses associated with them!!

This thread should read: How much has fitness saved me? That's much more motvational! lol
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    About $15 a month after my insurance kicks in $20.

Some of the metro Minneapolis places can go well over $100-150 per month.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My gym costs about $12 a month - and that includes my yoga class
    I probably buy three pairs of running shoes a year: $300 - $350
    Pull up bar for my house - about $35

I also spend a lot of money on workout clothes because my name is Shelly and I'm a shopaholic. And race fees - those probably average out to $100+ a month if you include hotels and airfare.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Horse: ~$850.00 a month
    Pole Dance Classes: $190.00 a month
    Everything else seems kind of trivial after those two.

Feel better...? :wink:
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda scared to add up how much I spend each month.

Gym: $57/month
    Trainer: $280/month
    Daycare at the gym: $20/month

And its worth every single penny.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I spend zero on keeping fit each month. Trainers were £30, they'll need replacing every 6-12 months I guess. That's it :)