Is a calorie alway just a calorie?

Options
13»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I apologize if I am not making myself clear. I am saying yes, a calorie is always a calorie.

What I am trying to say (apparently badly) is that I feel more full if I eat the 400 calories of chicken as opposed to the 400 calories of oil. The calories are the same but I will feel more full and I don't like being hungry. So my main "plan" is to eat foods that are less calories so I can eat more food and feel more full. Which is what I interpreted from the illustration.

We're on the same page. Sorry if I made it sound like I was arguing with you. Hard to keep track of who has said what, and I used your quote as a jumping off point.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I apologize if I am not making myself clear. I am saying yes, a calorie is always a calorie.

What I am trying to say (apparently badly) is that I feel more full if I eat the 400 calories of chicken as opposed to the 400 calories of oil. The calories are the same but I will feel more full and I don't like being hungry. So my main "plan" is to eat foods that are less calories so I can eat more food and feel more full. Which is what I interpreted from the illustration.

I get what you are saying. I'm not sure you get what I am saying. For example I can eat a boatload so popcorn without butter. It won't have many calories and I'll feel very full. For about an hour.

Or I can have some rice, some veggies and some chicken and included in this will be some fats. I can be very satisfied for about 4 or 5 hours.

Additionally, the stomach expamds and contracts with volume. Volume is not the only thing that signals full to the brain. There is a large hormonal component that involves insulin, leptin and gherlin.

Stomach volume being filled =/= satiety.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I get what you are saying. I'm not sure you get what I am saying. For example I can eat a boatload so popcorn without butter. It won't have many calories and I'll feel very full. For about an hour.

Or I can have some rice, some veggies and some chicken and included in this will be some fats. I can be very satisfied for about 4 or 5 hours.

Additionally, the stomach expamds and contracts with volume. Volume is not the only thing that signals full to the brain. There is a large hormonal component that involves insulin, leptin and gherlin.

Stomach volume being filled =/= satiety.

I agree with what you are saying there. My thought was not to "eat a boatload of popcorn." It was more like eat foods that are better for you. Such as "rice, some veggies and some chicken." It's obvious you know how to be fit. I wouldn't go as far to say the same about me. I'm just saying in the past (as an overweight person) I ate large quantities of food that were heavy in calories. As I am trying to be healthier what works for me is eating large quantities of food that are less in calories. For instance to your "rice, some veggies and some chicken" I might add much more veggies to make the meal feel more filling for me while still staying within my calorie goal so that I can lose weight.
  • Jimmygymgym
    Jimmygymgym Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    THAT was funny!