For Wine Drinkers

Options
Cureently in our house we have taken on homesteading. My husband and I are huge wine drinkers and are looking into making our own wine, but have never expanded our pallete selection past whites and Ohio sweet reds. We recently tried a table red which we liked, but the cabernet sauvginon we're not so crazy about.

What's yours favorite kind of wine, how do you serve it, and with what? Do you have a particular brand you might recommend?

Replies

• wolfelements
    wolfelements Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the blush wines, White Zin and such. I don't usually serve it with anything. I'm big on getting a glass of wine and sitting back to read a book.

Sadly we haven't been able to afford it in months. But I get it on special occasions now.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of Red there is ver subtle difference in varietals you can try. One of my favorite reds is a Pinot Noir, which I beleive has a very good fruity, earth flavor compared to a Cab or Merlot. I drink reds with pretty much everything. Even when a white wine would be more delicate and better paired.

I buy mid priced wines so I am probably not a good person to ask for recommendations. For a Pinot Noir, try A to Z Wineworks (2010) for around $12. II do like Parker Estate Cabs and the are usually found around the $15 range. If you want to step up, (my drinking wine) I LOVE the Franciscan Cabernet (2010) and I find that locally around $25. If you really want a treat, but also want to spend some money, check out some of the 2005 vintages, like one of my all-time favorites, Columbia Crest Reserve (if you can even find it), circa $120.

Thing is, it is all subjective. Just go out and try value bottles of different varietals until you find somethiing you like. Then try different wineries of that type. It does get expenisve though!
  • Smash323
    Options
    I second the suggestion for Pinot Nior if you want to try a red. Actually, I've found that anything that starts with Pinot suits my tastes. I like Pinot Grigio and Pinot Gris for whites. Also, Sauvignon Blanc is a good white to try -- to me it tastes a little greener than the fruitier Pinot Grigio.

I'm not a brand snob, either; I stick to the less expensive bottles usually. But some of my favorites include Big House (red or white blends), Mark West, Ecco Domani, and the wine cube from Target.

When I'm splurging, I love Sokol Blosser's Evolution -- another white blend that never lets me down. Also, Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio is heaven in a glass.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Also, Sauvignon Blanc is a good white to try -- to me it tastes a little greener than the fruitier Pinot Grigio.

Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough is so refreshing! And cheap!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Klinkerbrick Zinfandel
    Testarossa Winery: Diana's Chardonnay, Niclair Pinot Noir
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheap wine drinker. Seriously, cheap. If wine is over $5 I won't buy it.

I just found a brand called Tisdale. Here in CA they sell it at Food 4 Less stores. They have a Chocolate Cabernet that sells for $4.98. It's like drinking a tootsie roll! And unlike other chocolate wines I've seen, it isn't milky-brown. It looks like a normal red wine, but smells and tastes like a tootsie roll. Seriously dangerous! I highly recommend it.:drinker:
  • ItsAnIllusion
    ItsAnIllusion Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in WA, and I generally drink local wines like Chateau Ste. Michelle and 14 Hands. My favorite type of red is a syrah (also called shiraz) and I like dry whites, like sauvignon blanc. I drink them alone or pair them with just about anything.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It is about taste . I am big on the West Coast wines including Washington and Oregon. I also tend to buy mid-range wines but there are some great ones all over the place. For White - the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is outstanding. Also King Estate Pinot Gris (Washington). Decoy Chardonnay, Bogle makes a decent Petite Syrah and Merlot which I happen to really enjoy. So deos Lava Cap. They also make a good Old Vine Zin. Klinkerbrick makes a Syrah that is outstanding but much tougher to find then their Old Vine Zin. Francis Coppola has a decent Red Blend as well. and I could go on and on. Trentadue makes a really good Red Blend (Trader Joes usually has it) Also Erath (Willamette valley Oregon) makes a really good Pinot Noir. If there is a Total Wine around you, they do a great job of Wine tasting and will set it up by region or type. My 2 cents +
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thing is, it is all subjective. Just go out and try value bottles of different varietals until you find something you like. Then try different wineries of that type. It does get expenisve though!

^^This. What works for me may not work for you.

If you want to try new wines without committing to full bottles, go to wine tastings. Most wine shops/ liquor stores (even grocery stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes) offer them. Or buy by the glass at restaurants or bars -- if you find one you like, ask the waiter/bartender for the label (I've done this several times).

Also, go in with an open mind. I have always hated Chardonnay wines and happily bypassed them until recently. I was at a wake, of all places, and drank one that I totally loved.
  • Spadowski
    Spadowski Posts: 38
    Options
    DH & I enjoy medium to full reds in the $8-$16 range, especially Montepulciano (Italy) & Tempranillo (Spain). Root 1 makes a Carmenere (Chile) for around $11-$13 that I like a lot. For all you thrifty winos out there, Costco has a Three Thieves (California) that comes in a giant bottle for $10. It's not bad for the price, but it's not memorable either. My new fav is Domaine de la Beaujolais (France). Picked it up on a lark and was blown away by it's lively flavor.

I'll be the first to agree that there is a reason wine and fruit and cheese and chocolate play off one another so well on the palatte, but I find it obnoxious when people insist that certain wines can only be paired with certain foods. It's a guideline, a starting point, nothing more. I once had a waiter tell me to order a different entree because I wanted fish with my red wine. I was about to order a plate of "Up Yours" instead, but I kept it classy and informed him that I knew exactly what I wanted with my red wine. Fish, dammit.

We have some friends who own a wine bistro, and they were interviewed in a magazine. My favorite part of the article was when they were asked if the price of wine corresponds to the taste. Their reply? "When it comes down to it, it's ALL just grape juice! Drink what you like!"
  • Spadowski
    Options
    Or buy by the glass at restaurants or bars -- if you find one you like, ask the waiter/bartender for the label (I've done this several times).

Excellent suggestion.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out your palate, and that comes from tastings. Do you like new world or old world, high tannic or low, spicy, smooth, etc. There is literally a whole world of choices.

I wasn't always a red drinker, but I wanted to learn. I started with Pinot Noir from California. Usually smoother and fruitier than it's other red counterparts. If you like red (like I do now) I suggest trying south american cabernets or malbecs. If you are an in between, get a spanish rioja or a southern italian/scicilian. Those are smoother, but still have the earthy, old world, spicy flavor that I adore!

I hate sweet wines. I'm very picky with my whites. Nothing from North or South America. New Zealand and France make my favorite whites. Italian is hit or miss with me.

And don't discount a real rose. I say "real" rose, because in America, we have mainly White Zinfandel, which I cannot stand. But I was in Provence, which has rose as it's main seller, and I did not have one that I didn't like. So I'd definitely recommend trying them.

After this rant, you may find out that your palate is completely different than mine. But just go out and try things until you find what you like. Also, there is a free phone app called Vivino. You can take a photo of a bottle of wine, it will bring up the make/model/description/reviews that are available.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i live in New Zealand, home to some of the best wine in the world.

I prefer sauvignon blanc or pinot gris for white - the drier, and crisper the better.

I like smooth dark inky reds - syrah, montepulciano, pinot noir

I quite like white shiraz and rose too
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi im in australia, and only drink white cab sav blanc from new zealand, marlborough estate, fabulous, i just cant drink white wine from anywhere else, and they allways have deals on 3 bottles for $24.00 australian. When it comes to red, i find i get reactions a weird rash when i drink anything but the organics range, thats an aussie red from south australia organics do a range from merlot to shiraz and all are deep heavy and just lovelly Price about 8 aussie bucks a bottle..

Well, enjoy your wine nice post, I certainly enjoy mine, :drinker: I have a glass right now lol cheers :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I make our own wine.. it will be ready just in time for Summer. I am excited to try it!

I second the notion about going for a Pinot Noir if you must buy it.. you should really try making some. It's a great activity for a husband and wife to do together!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

I'll be the first to agree that there is a reason wine and fruit and cheese and chocolate play off one another so well on the palatte, but I find it obnoxious when people insist that certain wines can only be paired with certain foods. It's a guideline, a starting point, nothing more. I once had a waiter tell me to order a different entree because I wanted fish with my red wine. I was about to order a plate of "Up Yours" instead, but I kept it classy and informed him that I knew exactly what I wanted with my red wine. Fish, dammit.

Agreed! Just enjoy and go with what you think tastes best
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Hi im in australia, and only drink white cab sav blanc from new zealand,

clearly you're highly intelligent :D
  • welshpoppy
    welshpoppy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK ut only drink Australian White Chardonnay/Pinot grigio or New Zealand chardonnay/Pinot grigio...We were lucky to be in NZ and Visited 2 vineyards and watched the process and had lunch there and although this was 2009 I am very parcial to Villa Maria wines:-) brings back to us very happy memories whilst on honeymoon.
  • Spadowski
    Options
    Also, there is a free phone app called Vivino. You can take a photo of a bottle of wine, it will bring up the make/model/description/reviews that are available.

Oh. My. God. Downloading that app pronto! Thanks!!!
  • Spadowski
    Options
    Hubby and I make our own wine.. it will be ready just in time for Summer. I am excited to try it!

I second the notion about going for a Pinot Noir if you must buy it.. you should really try making some. It's a great activity for a husband and wife to do together!

What a neat idea for a couple to do. How long does it take from start to finish?