For Wine Drinkers

Options

Replies

• perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. Price isn't an issue, but a pinot noir will be next on my list, next to a stop at one of the local wineries.
  • perfectionisntme
    Options
    Hubby and I make our own wine.. it will be ready just in time for Summer. I am excited to try it!

Awesome! It's nice to read someone else is doing it, too. I don't feel so crazy. :laugh:
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I really shouldn't have read this thread....I gave up wine for Lent :sad:
  • kwol18
    kwol18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a big fan of South American Wines such as Malbec's. Gascon is my favorite so far.
  • murray292
    murray292 Posts: 32
    Options
    bump.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For whites, I absolutely love Pinot Grigio ^_^ Other than that, the Sancerre grape is excellent, but expensive and hard to find (here in Singapore). Because these two grapes are harder to find here, I often default to any Sauvignon Blanc :) I tend to prefer anything that states that it's dry and avoid most fruity wines.

For reds, I'm really picky ^^;; I don't know if you can get them, but anything from near the Black Forest region is good :) I also like Chianti wines, especially if you can get them from the independent smaller vineyards. As with the white wines, I tend towards dry and rich red wines.

Hope this helps ^^:;;
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different on their taste in wine. What I like is not always going to be what you like, and sometimes I'm in the mood for a certain 'taste' in a wine. Most people start drinking white wines and progress into the reds (not always, but usually). Experiment with what you like, read the back of the bottle to see what the 'flavors' are. Do you like sweet, do you like dry, do you like fruity, etc. I pull the labels off and paste them in a book with notes. (that way I know not to buy a bottle later if I thought it tasted like dog drool) If you are looking to break into the reds, start with easy ones, like a Pinot Noir. Also, any wine labeled as a 'table wine; in the US will be on the sweeter side, which is always a hit if you have company over. After the pinot's, try merlots, they are usually mellow. Then you can get into the stronger ones like malbecs, syrahs and zins.

Good luck on your journey, it will be fun!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am in love with the Organiz Fuzion Cabernet Sauvignon lately - so good! And I got an aerator for Christmas which I use to pur it so I can drink it right away, works really well.

I also really love Shiraz and Malbec blends from Argentina.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have been making wine for a few years now. I don't know where you are, but here in Manitoba I buy my wine kits from Brewer's Direct. The kit brand I most recommend for a nice wine, at a decent price are the Moments. They are no fail type kits. My favorites are the Cab Sauv; Malbec; Barolo (OMG); Pinot Nero or Noir are good too. Merlot is an easy staple. You can mix it up by trying out the Chilean Merlot. As for whites - Pinot Grigio, Sauv Blanc, Chardonney are nice. So was the Chamblaise that I made - took some aging time to really enjoy but was worth it. If you like a slightly sweeter white, the Gewürztraminer is good too.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can try to help as much as possible. Actually planning to get a couple batches started this weekend :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Also Erath (Willamette valley Oregon) makes a really good Pinot Noir.

Great suggestions. I would also recommend most Willamette Valley wines, especially in Pinot Noir's. While other areas can tend to be more like a rose', the Willamette Valley Pinots tend to be bigger, bolder, with more fruit foward, which is what I really like in most wine varietals.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love wine and I love wine tasting.

I tend to lean towards lighter and/or older reds because tannins can give me a headache. I do love Pinot Noir, especially Ponzi, Castlerock, A to Z, Acacia and Morgan. I also like Zinfandels and Ravenswood is a great, less expensive, go to for that.

Personally, I find to Sauvignon Blanc to be too flowery for me. I prefer oaked chardonnay (Bouchaine, Morgan, Cakebread, Simi).

And, on a warm day out on the deck, there's nothing quite like a great Pinot Grigio.

Have fun with your wine making!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have several favorites that I tend to gravitate to.

My all time favorite, however, is from Peju Winery in Napa. It's called "Provence" and is a lovely blend of red and white. It's hard to find out here (I'm in NC) so my dad sends a case now and again. I save it for special occasions.

I was introduced to a brand I would not have ordinarily tried a couple of years ago - Rex Goliath (it has a huge rooster on the label). The cab is pretty good and I REALLY love their moscato. It leans toward the sweet side, and I've served it to non-wine drinkers and they end up loving it.

I also like a good Reisling and Chardonnay, but I have to be in the mood.
  • courtneyshell
    courtneyshell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For red wines, I mainly buy Shiraz. My favorite is Maggio. I like my white wines sweet, so I usually go with Reisling--Fetzer, specifically. Pacific Rim is great, too.

Of course, there's $3 bottles of Charles Shaw from Trader Joe's. Those always seem to do the job.
  • perfectionisntme
    Options
    i like naked grape moscato

Sutter homes sells single serve four packs of moscato

it is not the fanciest of wines but I hate to open a whole bottle for the one glass i enjoy every now and then.

Are moscatos as good as people make them out to be?
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a maniac for Pinot Noir :heart:
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheapo wine drinker! ;) Seriously, like $6 per bottle. My favorites happen to be, St. James Pink Catawba and their blackberry wine.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I live in CA. We're spoiled. So many good wines.

I like Cabs, Syrahs and Pinot Noirs the best
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    For red wines, I mainly buy Shiraz. My favorite is Maggio. I like my white wines sweet, so I usually go with Reisling--Fetzer, specifically. Pacific Rim is great, too.

Of course, there's $3 bottles of Charles Shaw from Trader Joe's. Those always seem to do the job.

Ahhhhh, Three buck Chuck...have brought him along to many of our girls' beach weekends, LOL...
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love champagne and a red called Rioja, it's a Spanish wine but one of the best reds I've ever had. If I could make it I would save between $35-$50!