Girlies.... 5ft 8 or 5 ft 9......

Options

Replies

• stephcampbell77
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and weigh 153 pounds. This is essentially my goal weight. I have 16% body fat, which is the number that I focus on. I have tried to lose more weight in the past but always end up having to give up some of my athleticism, which I am not willing to negotiate on anymore. I climb mountains, run, and cycle. I usually have 1 8-12 hour activity on a weekend day and do cross training 5x per week for an hour a day.

Sometimes I get jealous when I hear that people that are my height can get down to 135 pounds, but I have to keep it in perspective, recognizing that every individual is unique. Weight isn't the sole determinant of good health.

I love this answer :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Wow, some low weight goals here - you girls must be built pretty differently from me. I'm just shy of 5'8" and aiming for 170-175-ish, currently bobbing back and forth between 192 and 196. I doubt my body will let me go much lower - maybe 165 as an absolute lowest. Like Berry, my main goals now revolve around inches and Body Fat % rather than weight as such.

Im 5'8" and weigh 190 and am at 27% BF... no way Id be satisfied at 170, my goal is 18% BF

Which may mean you'll need to be 'satisfied' with 170-ish to achieve that goal, depending on your personal physique. For me, 170-ish will almost certainly be pretty lean, with significant muscle tone and low BF. Lean muscle weighs more in terms of volume than un-toned flesh, so someone who has a low BF% may have a higher weight than you'd expect. Eg. the person who wears a size 10 with toned muscle and a low BF% will almost certainly weigh significantly more than another person who also wears a size 10, but has a higher BF% and less lean muscle.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and currently 146lbs. My original goal is set at 145lbs (1 POUND to go...crazy) and I'm sticking with it. My focus is shifting from the scale to body fat %. I would like to maintain this weight while reducing body fat %, but like another poster said, I don't want to sacrifice athleticism for a certain weight so it's ok if it goes back up a little. I have been doing mostly Jillian Michaels DVDs, ballet, and little bit of running during my weight loss. I just started New Rules of Lifting for Women, so I will be lifting 3X per week, and then doing ballet and running in between those days. I have my diet under control but always strive for improvement and discovering new, healthy foods that I love.
  • RF3377
    RF3377 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm 5'9 currently weigh 152 lbs with 23% body fat ...In the last few months I've lost over 15 inches from my body but stayed the same weight...don't concentrate too much on the scales ladies...:)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 9" and my original GW was 140, I'm now 135 and I like it!

I'm trying to add more muscle definition.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    5'8" and 140 here. My pictures are open and you can take a look if you like.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8" and my goal weight was 135, I recently dropped to 134. :tongue: Not so focused on that number any more though - body fat is about 25%, so working on lowering that a bit more.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 156. Started at 173 and am hoping to get to around 145. In high school I ranged from between 120 to 125, but was noticeably too thin. People thought I was anorexic, but really I just had a very high metabolism as I was a 2-sport athlete and therefore was working out 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Once I get to my goal weight, I'll focus more on strength-training and do shorter cardio sessions so I can increase my muscle mass and lower my body fat percentage.
  • Labretagne
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and probably around 130. I haven't weighed myself in awhile. I would like to get more toned. I used to weigh about 5 lbs less but I don't think I'll get that low again. I'm still breastfeeding so my body is stubborn. I have been able to maintain around 130 despite eating a ton and not exercising, so my body must be okay with this weight. Would love some friends who are a similar height to help me stay motivated. :happy:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    5'8" and 140 here. My pictures are open and you can take a look if you like.

You look amazing!!
  • 21Jenny21
    21Jenny21 Posts: 53
    Options
    Im 5'9 and 137 pounds. although I dont mind if my lbs go up as long as im toned. im mainly focusing on buliding up muscle now and losing the belly fat..
    there is a huge difference in everybodys answers here I deffo agree with whoever said it all depends on the person and their frame. it could be impossible for some large framed girls to be 130 or 140 lbs. they are busting their *kitten* and making themselves sick with diets and workouts because people are telling them what the "reccomended" weight is when everybody is different!!
  • penith113
    penith113 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" currently 173, my goal weight is 145. I thought that was an achievable and maintainable goal. And I think I will be happy with my appearance at that weight. I have to admit I was surprised to see several people at my height weighing under 130 pounds. That makes me wonder if I'll be as happy at 145 as I thought I would. But as a previous poster mentioned, we are all built differently. :happy:
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 145lbs and I'm 5'8. Currently sitting at 162lbs and 25% BF. Body fat is my main focus, couldn't really care less what the scales says, but at about 145lbs I should be down to around 18-20% body fat. So just trying to keep a moderate deficit, lift heavy, maintain as much LBM as possible, eat adequate protein and be patient... I will probably hit my goal sometime this summer.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my ultimate goal is to break into the 130s, but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure that is possible, and I suspect I may like how I look around 145....but I'm really not sure either!

Right now I weight 162, my highest (that I know of, there was a period of time where I really avoided the scales) was around 175 and just that loss alone feels like a huge difference in terms of the comfort in various clothing, etc. I am a dress size 6/8 and my jeans are all 28 or 29 with an occasional 30 in there depending on the style and stretchiness :)

I am also very torn about where my weight can/ should end up. Right now for example I have a pretty decent level of athleticism (running my first half marathon in two weeks eeeeek!) but my body fat % is still somewhat high...I've never had it tested very accurately, scales and stuff predict around 29% and I believe it because my butt and thighs and legs and upper arms have a VERY flabby layer on them. The legs especially drive me nuts....I want to lean them out so badly! Yet you can see some abdominal muscles in my stomach, my ribs are nearly visible....I dunno! Its confusing. Guess I will just have to keep working and see how I feel at 145. The lowest I remember being was 133 in high school.

ETA: I would describe my frame as on the larger end of medium, and my doctor suggested I try to be under 150 and to consider 150 a ceiling. She told me this in the context of what an ideal weight for me would be if I want to have children in the next ten years or so (I'm 24 and in law school so that thought was horrifying for me hahaha)
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my goal is 135. I'm at about 139-140 right now, so just 5 pounds to go!

After I reach my goal I'll be working hard to maintain. I'd love to get my BF% down but not sure I want to put the required effort in to do that, so we'll see how I feel after maintaining for a while.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently around 116. I do not look sick, nor am I skinny fat (my pics are on my profile). My whole family is thin and small-boned. I am happy where I am, though I am usually at my best (performance-wise) when I'm closer to 118. Not opposed to gaining a couple pounds of lean muscle mass.
  • raspberryk
    raspberryk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between 5ft7 and 5ft8, currently a UK size 14 12st7/175lb, goals are UK size 10 10st7/147lb or there abouts, meet need to shift an extra 7lb after that depending on how my clothes look and fit.
    When I was 19 I went down to 9st4/130lb and looking back at photos i'm a touch too skinny...
    X
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    im 5'8 and my goal is 165lbs, I havent been under 200 for 10 years and have always been big, When I did get down to 180 I was a size 10 so not really sure what size id be at 165, I dont want to be thin, just healthy.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    No way. I typed out a huge long post and then hit back

Doh
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You ladies are my hero... I'm 5'8 & my goal weight is 150. I got down to 135 at one point & it was almost too small for my body frame. Keep it up ladies!