One month increased calories to TDEE no weight loss

Options
Hi guys,

So this is the story! I started my weight loss journey in September 2012 it went really well at first I ate 1200 calories and I lost 12 lbs in 2 months! Since then i haven't lost anything! So last month I was advised to increase my calories to my TDEE! So I did which gave me 1570 calories to eat.

I do not go to the gym so my exercise had been 30 DS which I didn't lose anything from but felt better inside after I finished it!

It's been one month and I haven't lost anything! It's just getting so frustrating and depressing why I am not losing weight! There has to be something!

I am desperate to lose weight!

Please someone advise what to do!

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    patience
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have a few different mentions: First - what are your statistics? (age, weight, height, and activity level) Someone can help you clarify things that way.

Second, typically your TDEE is maintenance. Most people advise eating 20% less than it.

Third, occasionally when changing around your diet it takes a month and a half or so to see results.

Fourth, have you been ingesting too much sodium? Not enough water? Staying within your macros? All these things can screw with weight loss.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you are eating your TDEE you will not lose weight. TDEE is what you eat to stay at maintenance. Try eating -10% or -20% TDEE.

Have you figured out your BMR too? This is the minimum amount of calories you should be eating so your body can function normally. It's advised you shouldn't ever eat below this number.

For most calculators, the difference between TDEE - 20% and MFP's suggestions + your exercise calories are pretty similar, so just compare your numbers. For me, MFP came out to be way too few calories for me.

For example, I'm 5'4" and 136lbs. My BMR is 1362. At lightly active, my TDEE is around 2100. I usually eat around 1900 calories.

I hope this was helpful to you. Once you choose a plan, stick with it for at least a month to see if it works for you. Have patience. Most people don't start losing right away when they eat close to TDEE.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    Is 1570 your Tdee or BMR? That # seems a little low for TDEE but more like a BMR #. Have you run your #s thru Scooby's calculators to get yor #s?
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Also, I have read other people posting similar stories and it seems that this strategy doesn't work for everyone. I'm currently doing TDEE-20%, and it's working for me, but, again, I've heard of people following that formula for 6 months or better and gained. Typically, I think, you should give a new program 6-8 weeks to see if it works for you.

Just my opinion now.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Is 1570 your Tdee or BMR? That # seems a little low for TDEE but more like a BMR #. Have you run your #s thru Scooby's calculators to get yor #s?

This.

1570 is very low for TDEE unless you are very small and light and completely sedentary, I think it is more likely to be your BMR.

You also say you are EATING 1570. Is this your total intake or your net? I.e. are you eating back your exercise cals?
  • princesselle1
    princesselle1 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have deducted 20% off which gave me 1570.

I am 5ft 2in tall weight 143lbs goal weight 120lbs!

Macros- 40/35/25 p/c/f
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    When I put your stats into the calculator and allowing for 20% reduction 3-5 hours of moderate exercise I got 1756
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. Just because someone else does Tdee - whatever does not mean it will work for you...although, it is true that it takes about 4-6 weeks for your body to adapt to any change.

If 1200 worked for you, maybe you should go back to it....

Do you lift weights? If no, why not?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing everything you eat. No eyeballing, no "free" foods, the only thing measured by volume should be free-pouring liquids.

I see a lot of "generic" entries in your diary. Enter your own recipes. That's the only way to be accurate.

I suspect you're underestimating your calories.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You are close to your goal. So try TDEE*0.9=1770 (for lightly active with your DVD workouts).

Also, you aren't eating even the 1570 each day. You are still eating less then that even on exercise days.
  • princesselle1
    Options
    I went into fitness frog and I tapped onto light exercise as I only do fitness dvd's. it gave me 1967 minus 20% 1577.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options

Macros- 40/35/25 p/c/f

TRUST me it is a slow process !!! I am also 5.2 ft and started at 142 lbs, it took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs! I started at 1200 too and i lost 0.5 ls-1.5 max a month, even when i upped my cals a few months later to 1400 i still only lost 0.5-1.5 a month MAX! i have NEVER lost any more. I hit many plateaus... at 1st i started off with just diet and hten 2 months later did 30 ds. then 2 months after that rin30 and then did 30ds again 4 months later and rin30 again right after. I then finally hit my goal 1 year to the date pretty much. I always ate my exercise cals back, so on exercise days i was eating up to 1650 cals. with out exercise 1350-1400. it's a very slow process but you will get there in time, don't worry... just keep at it! i am not trying to maintain and just seem to bounce up and down the same 3-4 lbs.
  • princesselle1
    Options

Macros- 40/35/25 p/c/f

TRUST me it is a slow process !!! I am also 5.2 ft and started at 142 lbs, it took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs! I started at 1200 too and i lost 0.5 ls-1.5 max a month, even when i upped my cals a few months later to 1400 i still only lost 0.5-1.5 a month MAX! i have NEVER lost any more. I hit many plateaus... at 1st i started off with just diet and hten 2 months later did 30 ds. then 2 months after that rin30 and then did 30ds again 4 months later and rin30 again right after. I then finally hit my goal 1 year to the date pretty much. I always ate my exercise cals back, so on exercise days i was eating up to 1650 cals. with out exercise 1350-1400. it's a very slow process but you will get there in time, don't worry... just keep at it! i am not trying to maintain and just seem to bounce up and down the same 3-4 lbs.

Yes!!!! Oh my god I have just finished 30Ds and I am going to start ripped in 30 today! Feel so stressed. So do I eat back exercise calories the day I exercise? I thought that was calculated within the TDEE!
  • lin7604
    Options
    ya it's calculated in your tdee but you might want to only do a -15% cut. too big of a deficit for us short people sometimes back fires on us. I haven't done tdee, only base cals and then exercise cals. The tdee thing confused me too much b/c i don't exercise daily.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Most people eat about half their excercise calories back because they don't want to net too low.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    One thing that struck me going through your diary is that you aren't actually eating 1,570 a day anyway. I've gone back to Saturday 16th February and could only see 1-2 days in all of that time that you've hit 1,570.

On top of that, when I've gone back before Saturday 16th Feb I'm seeing this:

15th Feb
    Totals 903
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 2,400

14th Feb
    Totals 920
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,817

12th Feb
    Totals 606
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,981

11th Feb
    Totals 891

I've gone back to 1st Feb in your diary - so the month that you say you've been eating at 1,570 and in fact on a load of days you've been eating under 1,000.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    One thing that struck me going through your diary is that you aren't actually eating 1,570 a day anyway. I've gone back to Saturday 16th February and could only see 1-2 days in all of that time that you've hit 1,570.

On top of that, when I've gone back before Saturday 16th Feb I'm seeing this:

15th Feb
    Totals 903
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 2,400

14th Feb
    Totals 920

12th Feb
    Totals 606
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,981

11th Feb
    Totals 891

I've gone back to 1st Feb in your diary - so the month that you say you've been eating at 1,570 and in fact on a load of days you've been eating under 1,000.

This is a problem too. Definitely eat up to your goal. Do that consistently for a month and then re-evaluate.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Macros- 40/35/25 p/c/f

Yes!!!! Oh my god I have just finished 30Ds and I am going to start ripped in 30 today! Feel so stressed. So do I eat back exercise calories the day I exercise? I thought that was calculated within the TDEE!

If you calculated exercise into your TDEE then you don't eat them back.
  • lin7604
    Options
    very good point, i never even check her diary... that is WAY too LOW!!!! min 1200 NET!