One month increased calories to TDEE no weight loss

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing everything you eat. No eyeballing, no "free" foods, the only thing measured by volume should be free-pouring liquids.

I see a lot of "generic" entries in your diary. Enter your own recipes. That's the only way to be accurate.

I suspect you're underestimating your calories.

I agree with Amber. You don't appear to be logging as accurately as you should be. Before changing your calories, make sure how many calories you are truly eating,
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Also, I have read other people posting similar stories and it seems that this strategy doesn't work for everyone. I'm currently doing TDEE-20%, and it's working for me, but, again, I've heard of people following that formula for 6 months or better and gained. Typically, I think, you should give a new program 6-8 weeks to see if it works for you.

Just my opinion now.

If they gained weight the either:

a) they miscalculated their TDEE, the usual reason for that is overestimating their activity factor. Occasionally medical issues like hypothyroid can slow the metabolism enough that the BMR calculation to be incorrect by a significant margain.

or

b) they were not tracking their calories carefully, and were actually eating more than they thought they were. Inaccurate measurements can mean someone can be eating 20-30% (or greater) more or less than they actually are. If someone thinks they're eating TDEE - 20%, but they're underestimating their food intake by 20%, they'll be eating their actual TDEE, and won't lose.

All the decent sources of information for using this method advise using feedback from real world results, and adjusting the calories based on that, because all a calorie calculator can do is give you a good estimate to use as a starting point. Assuming that someone is tracking their calories correctly, if they calculate their TDEE, and after 3-4 weeks are not losing weight, then the should either recalculate their TDEE, perhaps with a different activity factor, or just subtract 100 or 200 calories from their original number, and try eating that for a week or two, to see if that starts weight loss. If someone has a medical condition that may be slowing their metabolism, e.g. hypothyroid, then seeing a doctor to get the issue treated would be better than just lowering the calories to the number that enables them to lose, as the result would be being able to lose weight on a higher amount of calories and being better able to keep the body nourished.

This method is based on basic human physiology and maths, and as much as certain factors can result in someone's metabolism being slower or faster than the calculators predict, the method actually will work for everyone. Some adjustment of the numbers may be necessary and it's well accepted that the calorie calculators are just an estimate to give a starting point, but if you include that adjustment in as part of the method, AND track your calories properly, it WILL work. No-one is a "special snowflake" whose body breaks the laws of physics.

Not everyone will end up eating more using this method though... if someone got fat by overeating, then they will eat less as a result of using this method. The "eat more" part of the "tag line" for this method, really only applies to people who are in the habit of undereating, or who have failed at dieting in the past due to being too restrictive. The point is to find the "sweet spot" number of calories where you can lose at a slow and steady rate, and not feel deprived while continuing to lose successfully. Like I said, some may need to adjust the numbers somewhat compared to what the calculators predict, but it's worth it, rather than being constantly frustrated through not losing, or constantly run down, tired and hungry from undereating.
  • princesselle1
    princesselle1 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    One thing that struck me going through your diary is that you aren't actually eating 1,570 a day anyway. I've gone back to Saturday 16th February and could only see 1-2 days in all of that time that you've hit 1,570.

On top of that, when I've gone back before Saturday 16th Feb I'm seeing this:

15th Feb
    Totals 903
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 2,400

14th Feb
    Totals 920
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,817

12th Feb
    Totals 606
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,981

11th Feb
    Totals 891
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,817

I've gone back to 1st Feb in your diary - so the month that you say you've been eating at 1,570 and in fact on a load of days you've been eating under 1,000.

I add my exercise in what ever I have done for the day and I don't eat that back!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing everything you eat. No eyeballing, no "free" foods, the only thing measured by volume should be free-pouring liquids.

I see a lot of "generic" entries in your diary. Enter your own recipes. That's the only way to be accurate.

I agree with Amber. You don't appear to be logging as accurately as you should be. Before changing your calories, make sure how many calories you are truly eating,

Agree also.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When you calculated your TDEE did you already caluclate your exercise/activity in, in other words did you calculate based on sedentary? or lightly active or moderately active. If you di dnot account for your exercise then you should be eating at least some of your exercise calories back. If you already allowed for it then you wouldn't.

That being said I agree with a few other posters you didn't meet your calories goals almost ever through the at least the whole month of February. You can't just set the goal to 1500 calories and still keep eating 1200, you need to eat closer to your goal calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements at all? Often you will see results with the measuring tape before you see them on the scale. Any difference in how your clothes fit?

Hang in there, it does take time. Make sure you're hitting your goals for calories and macros - and one thing that happens when you log the exercise, is it gives you exercise cals to eat back, which you can ignore if they are figured into your TDEE, but it also ups all your macros for the day.....I was doing that for awhile and finally realized that I was over on fat & carbs most of the time, and that was AFTER adding exercise cals, so I was REALLY over! :tongue: That's why you will often see people log their exercise as ust 1 calorie burned, to track the minutes and work, but without changing the daily macros.
  • princesselle1
    Options
    Also, I have read other people posting similar stories and it seems that this strategy doesn't work for everyone. I'm currently doing TDEE-20%, and it's working for me, but, again, I've heard of people following that formula for 6 months or better and gained. Typically, I think, you should give a new program 6-8 weeks to see if it works for you.

Just my opinion now.

a) they miscalculated their TDEE, the usual reason for that is overestimating their activity factor. Occasionally medical issues like hypothyroid can slow the metabolism enough that the BMR calculation to be incorrect by a significant margain.

or

b) they were not tracking their calories carefully, and were actually eating more than they thought they were. Inaccurate measurements can mean someone can be eating 20-30% (or greater) more or less than they actually are. If someone thinks they're eating TDEE - 20%, but they're underestimating their food intake by 20%, they'll be eating their actual TDEE, and won't lose.

All the decent sources of information for using this method advise using feedback from real world results, and adjusting the calories based on that, because all a calorie calculator can do is give you a good estimate to use as a starting point. Assuming that someone is tracking their calories correctly, if they calculate their TDEE, and after 3-4 weeks are not losing weight, then the should either recalculate their TDEE, perhaps with a different activity factor, or just subtract 100 or 200 calories from their original number, and try eating that for a week or two, to see if that starts weight loss. If someone has a medical condition that may be slowing their metabolism, e.g. hypothyroid, then seeing a doctor to get the issue treated would be better than just lowering the calories to the number that enables them to lose, as the result would be being able to lose weight on a higher amount of calories and being better able to keep the body nourished.

This method is based on basic human physiology and maths, and as much as certain factors can result in someone's metabolism being slower or faster than the calculators predict, the method actually will work for everyone. Some adjustment of the numbers may be necessary and it's well accepted that the calorie calculators are just an estimate to give a starting point, but if you include that adjustment in as part of the method, AND track your calories properly, it WILL work. No-one is a "special snowflake" whose body breaks the laws of physics.

Not everyone will end up eating more using this method though... if someone got fat by overeating, then they will eat less as a result of using this method. The "eat more" part of the "tag line" for this method, really only applies to people who are in the habit of undereating, or who have failed at dieting in the past due to being too restrictive. The point is to find the "sweet spot" number of calories where you can lose at a slow and steady rate, and not feel deprived while continuing to lose successfully. Like I said, some may need to adjust the numbers somewhat compared to what the calculators predict, but it's worth it, rather than being constantly frustrated through not losing, or constantly run down, tired and hungry from undereating.

Hi do u suggest I reduce my calories by 100 or use a scale to measure my food everytime?
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated it? For every 5 pounds lost you need to recalculate your calories.
  • princesselle1
    Options
    When you calculated your TDEE did you already caluclate your exercise/activity in, in other words did you calculate based on sedentary? or lightly active or moderately active. If you di dnot account for your exercise then you should be eating at least some of your exercise calories back. If you already allowed for it then you wouldn't.

That being said I agree with a few other posters you didn't meet your calories goals almost ever through the at least the whole month of February. You can't just set the goal to 1500 calories and still keep eating 1200, you need to eat closer to your goal calories.

I did lightly active as I do work out DVD 30 DS and today I have started ripped in 30. So shall I put in calorie burned 1. And put the actual figure in notes?

I
  • princesselle1
    Options
    Have you taken measurements at all? Often you will see results with the measuring tape before you see them on the scale. Any difference in how your clothes fit?

Hang in there, it does take time. Make sure you're hitting your goals for calories and macros - and one thing that happens when you log the exercise, is it gives you exercise cals to eat back, which you can ignore if they are figured into your TDEE, but it also ups all your macros for the day.....I was doing that for awhile and finally realized that I was over on fat & carbs most of the time, and that was AFTER adding exercise cals, so I was REALLY over! :tongue: That's why you will often see people log their exercise as ust 1 calorie burned, to track the minutes and work, but without changing the daily macros.

Do I just put in 1 calorie in exercise and put the figure in notes. Otherwise how will I know how many calories I'm losing? My legs are toned and that's about it. My belly, bust and arms haven't changed.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you already have your exercise built in then yes just log exercise as one calorie otherwise MFP will add those exercise calories to your daily calorie goal.

I would definitely try eating closer to your 1500 calories for a few weeks and see if things start moving. Also keep in mind that you really don't have that much to lose so you should probably only be losing about 1/2 lb per week or so. Good luck!!

oh and patience is your best friend truly....
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Completely agree with this one. Also, if you ever have "cheat meals/days" or "binges" or even just BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) of anything, all of those things need to be recorded with as much accuracy as possible. Honestly, if you are using generic entries, that's probably one of the biggest problems.

Also, I know that weight loss is your goal and preferrable, but would you rather be maintaining on 1200 calories or 1570? It sounds like you were maintaining at 1200, so to me it seems like maintaining at 1570 would be something of a success.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating back your exercise calories? As you aren't supposed to with the 30DS. Also, you could try to lower to 1400 and see if that makes any difference?
    A month is a long time not to lose anything, so I'm not sure you could call it a question of patience, water weight, etc.
    Also, make sure you are weighing all the foods you eat to get a correct idea of what you are eating as it's so easy to misjudge this completely. Make sure you are drinking 8-10 cups of water per day and log EVERYTHING you eat even if it means you will go over your calories for the day because it's the only way you can keep track of what you are eating.
    If you feel you don't want others seeing then make your diary private :)

Sorry just remembered something else -

A lot of people have said they didn't actually lose weight with 30 Day Shred but it helped them tone up, lose inches and/or build muscle and fitness level. So it may be an idea for you to switch to something a little tougher on the body afterwards as you've built your muscles up to it (she does a lot of good work outs that are more strenuous but similar moves) and also to start measuring your body to see if you are losing inches rather than weight.
  • princesselle1
    Options

Completely agree with this one. Also, if you ever have "cheat meals/days" or "binges" or even just BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) of anything, all of those things need to be recorded with as much accuracy as possible. Honestly, if you are using generic entries, that's probably one of the biggest problems.

Also, I know that weight loss is your goal and preferrable, but would you rather be maintaining on 1200 calories or 1570? It sounds like you were maintaining at 1200, so to me it seems like maintaining at 1570 would be something of a success.

I do log everything I eat. I guess I'll have to measure every single thing I eat is what I am getting!!!
  • princesselle1
    Options
    Have you been eating back your exercise calories? As you aren't supposed to with the 30DS. Also, you could try to lower to 1400 and see if that makes any difference?
    A month is a long time not to lose anything, so I'm not sure you could call it a question of patience, water weight, etc.
    Also, make sure you are weighing all the foods you eat to get a correct idea of what you are eating as it's so easy to misjudge this completely. Make sure you are drinking 8-10 cups of water per day and log EVERYTHING you eat even if it means you will go over your calories for the day because it's the only way you can keep track of what you are eating.
    If you feel you don't want others seeing then make your diary private :)

Sorry just remembered something else -

A lot of people have said they didn't actually lose weight with 30 Day Shred but it helped them tone up, lose inches and/or build muscle and fitness level. So it may be an idea for you to switch to something a little tougher on the body afterwards as you've built your muscles up to it (she does a lot of good work outs that are more strenuous but similar moves) and also to start measuring your body to see if you are losing inches rather than weight.

I think I'm going to reduce my calories by 100 and see where that takes me. Cause a month is a long time and measure everything I eat. I do log everything I eat. Fingers crossed
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Do I just put in 1 calorie in exercise and put the figure in notes. Otherwise how will I know how many calories I'm losing? My legs are toned and that's about it. My belly, bust and arms haven't changed.
    That's what I do - I like to see that burn, so I put it in the daily notes! :smile:
  • princesselle1
    Options
    If you already have your exercise built in then yes just log exercise as one calorie otherwise MFP will add those exercise calories to your daily calorie goal.

I would definitely try eating closer to your 1500 calories for a few weeks and see if things start moving. Also keep in mind that you really don't have that much to lose so you should probably only be losing about 1/2 lb per week or so. Good luck!!

oh and patience is your best friend truly....

Thank u! Do u think I should reduce my calories by 100! See if it makes a difference?
  • cindyallingham
    cindyallingham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Measuring your food intake accurately is really tough, so maybe that is the problem. Also, I have found eating consistent-size meals frequently throughout the day is hard, too, but when I stick to the 5 meals-per-day and keep the calories evenly spread out I lose. When I briefly revert to my old habit of eating few calories throughout the day and then piling them all on at lunch or dinner, weight loss slows down. And too much salt or sugar seems to affect it too. But the comment from someone else, simply "Patience" is important for what's going on in your head. You say you are desperate to lose weight, but I have found so far that this is a 'slow' program. You have to accept in your head that you may take a year or more to get to your goal weight, and that the short-term reward is eating healthier and more nutritionally. Have some faith that if you keep at it and stay consistent and accurate you will lose the weight you want.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you're eating your TDEE, that's maintenance. Unless I'm missing something...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Just my opinion now.

or

Hi do u suggest I reduce my calories by 100 or use a scale to measure my food everytime?

don't reduce your calories yet, just switch to measuring your food with a scale each time. Do that for at least 2 weeks and see if that helps. If you start losing, then carry on with the same number. Only reduce your calories if you're still not losing despite weighing your food accurately.

If you haven't been using a scale, the problem could be nothing more than underestimating how many calories you've been eating. Rule that out first, before reducing the actual calorie number.